My AT&T micro sim card will not work / activate in my Verizon iPhone 5

Contributor

My AT&T micro sim card will not work / activate in my Verizon iPhone 5

I recently got a Verizon iPhone 5 off craigslist thinking all Verizon iPhone 5 were factory unlocked, it worked fine until I took the guys sim out and put in the micro sim I got from the AT&T store. I even had the micro sim activated so it would work right away when I threw it into my new iPhone. I get through the setup, but at the last screen during the setup I get a page that says,

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contatct Apple for more information."

I am a current AT&T customer and when I ask AT&T to unlock it for me, they tell me I have to have verizon unlock it for me??? The iPhone itself says ASK MY CARRIER TO UNLOCK IT FOR ME, not the original company that its from.

Please help

Message 1 of 7 (21,520 Views)
Expert

Re: My AT&T micro sim card will not work / activate in my Verizon iPhone 5

rasaqboy wrote:

I recently got a Verizon iPhone 5 off craigslist thinking all Verizon iPhone 5 were factory unlocked, it worked fine until I took the guys sim out and put in the micro sim I got from the AT&T store. I even had the micro sim activated so it would work right away when I threw it into my new iPhone. I get through the setup, but at the last screen during the setup I get a page that says,

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contatct Apple for more information."

I am a current AT&T customer and when I ask AT&T to unlock it for me, they tell me I have to have verizon unlock it for me??? The iPhone itself says ASK MY CARRIER TO UNLOCK IT FOR ME, not the original company that its from.

Please help

I would suggest contacting Verizon about this, I remember reading someplace that it was supposed to be unlocked but verizon will be the best one to help you. The phone came from verizon, att has no ability to unlock it.

Message 2 of 7 (21,497 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

rasaqboy wrote:

Please help

I would suggest contacting Verizon about this, I remember reading someplace that it was supposed to be unlocked but verizon will be the best one to help you. The phone came from verizon, att has no ability to unlock it.

Verizon iPhone 5's were initially unlocked for GSM use but it was only supposed to be for international use, not domestic. Apparently, they corrected that initial error. As Wingrider says, though, only Verizon can unlock it for domestic use. I hope you also realize that even unlocked, it won't work on AT&T's LTE network. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (21,464 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Here is a link to Apple's web site: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5

Scroll down the page to Technical Specifications, click on the down arrow, and the tech specs will be expanded out.

Scroll down to "Cellular and Wireless", where the site describes the 3 different models of iphone5:

GSM model A1428 (LTE bands 4 and 17), for at&t and Tmobile

CDMA model A1429 (LTE bands 1,3,5,13.25) Verizon and Sprint

GSM model A1429 (LTE bands 1,3,5) for International

The Verizon iphone5's LTE antennas are set to frequency bands different from at&t's.

The issue about Verizon's iphone5 shipped "unlocked" is true, but this is a partial unlock. There is still a lock on carriers with Mobile Country Code = 310 (USA). This means that GSM carriers with MCC=310 (any US based GSM carriers, including at&t and Tmobile), would be blocked.

Now, I read that off the web. I've also read about services offering to do "factory unlocks" for the iphone5.

Since you have already encountered first hand, that inserting an at&t micro SIM into the Verizon iphone5 can't get it to attach to at&t's network, then what I've read about the MCC=310 lock on the Verizon iphone5 is probably true.

But even if you use one of those paid services that removes this MCC code block, making it truly unlocked, you still would not be able to use at&t's LTE service due to the difference of antenna frequencies.

See here for list of LTE bands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

An at&t sim inside a Verizon iphone5 (with the MCC block removed) would be still useable for 2G/3G voice and data. But why would you do that? You'll still pay the same monthly fee even if at&t LTE is not useable by the Verizon iphone5.

I think you can do one of the following:

1. Sell this phone off.

2. Trade it in during this kind of promotion that Best Buy does from time to time.

3. Subscribe to Verizon service. At the entry levels, Verizon and at&t are almost price matched. It also depends on the antenna reception levels of where you would be most of the time.

Message 4 of 7 (21,394 Views)
Expert

mcfhsueh wrote:

Here is a link to Apple's web site: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5

Scroll down the page to Technical Specifications, click on the down arrow, and the tech specs will be expanded out.

Scroll down to "Cellular and Wireless", where the site describes the 3 different models of iphone5:

GSM model A1428 (LTE bands 4 and 17), for at&t and Tmobile

CDMA model A1429 (LTE bands 1,3,5,13.25) Verizon and Sprint

GSM model A1429 (LTE bands 1,3,5) for International

The Verizon iphone5's LTE antennas are set to frequency bands different from at&t's.

The issue about Verizon's iphone5 shipped "unlocked" is true, but this is a partial unlock. There is still a lock on carriers with Mobile Country Code = 310 (USA). This means that GSM carriers with MCC=310 (any US based GSM carriers, including at&t and Tmobile), would be blocked.

Now, I read that off the web. I've also read about services offering to do "factory unlocks" for the iphone5.

Since you have already encountered first hand, that inserting an at&t micro SIM into the Verizon iphone5 can't get it to attach to at&t's network, then what I've read about the MCC=310 lock on the Verizon iphone5 is probably true.

But even if you use one of those paid services that removes this MCC code block, making it truly unlocked, you still would not be able to use at&t's LTE service due to the difference of antenna frequencies.

See here for list of LTE bands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

An at&t sim inside a Verizon iphone5 (with the MCC block removed) would be still useable for 2G/3G voice and data. But why would you do that? You'll still pay the same monthly fee even if at&t LTE is not useable by the Verizon iphone5.

I think you can do one of the following:

1. Sell this phone off.

2. Trade it in during this kind of promotion that Best Buy does from time to time.

3. Subscribe to Verizon service. At the entry levels, Verizon and at&t are almost price matched. It also depends on the antenna reception levels of where you would be most of the time.

As of 01/01/2013 the is a federal law making any third party unlock illegal in the US. The agreement with apple and verizon for the Iphone 5 was that it was to be factory unlocked for both domestic and international use, in the case of the 4 and 4S the phone was eligible for international unlock but not domestic

Message 5 of 7 (21,384 Views)
Professor

I hope that you were actually using a nano-SIM card and not a micro SIM card in the iPhone 5.

Message 6 of 7 (21,344 Views)
Teacher

I was wondering about the original poster's title too. How would a micro sim be shoe-horned into a nano sim tray? Did he trim it? Or maybe he meant to say nano in the title instead.

Message 7 of 7 (21,215 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.