Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 25, 2013
10:29:45 AM
View profile
Must have cellular data on to receive/send MMS/Voicemail?
Edited by hyper50 on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:35:37 AM

My wife and I got Lumia 920's earlier this year.  We have the lowest data plan, so we normally keep our cellular data off unless we want to check something online and are away from Wi-Fi.  99.9% of my data usage on my phone is done through Wifi as I am almost always in range of a wirelss network.  My question/concern is that it seems as if we don't receive voicemail, and can't send/receive picture messages unless we turn our cellular data antenna on.  Is this the way it's supposed to work with Windows phones or can this be fixed?  I find it stupid that you must have cellular data on just to be notified that you have a voicemail or to send a picture, even when you are connected to the internet via Wifi.  Hopefully this is just a setting I've overlooked.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Edit:  Also, to clarify, text messaging works always, with cellular on or off.  But I do not receive voicemail notifications until I turn on cellular.  Thanks.

My wife and I got Lumia 920's earlier this year.  We have the lowest data plan, so we normally keep our cellular data off unless we want to check something online and are away from Wi-Fi.  99.9% of my data usage on my phone is done through Wifi as I am almost always in range of a wirelss network.  My question/concern is that it seems as if we don't receive voicemail, and can't send/receive picture messages unless we turn our cellular data antenna on.  Is this the way it's supposed to work with Windows phones or can this be fixed?  I find it stupid that you must have cellular data on just to be notified that you have a voicemail or to send a picture, even when you are connected to the internet via Wifi.  Hopefully this is just a setting I've overlooked.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Edit:  Also, to clarify, text messaging works always, with cellular on or off.  But I do not receive voicemail notifications until I turn on cellular.  Thanks.

Must have cellular data on to receive/send MMS/Voicemail?

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 2:02:18 PM
(0)
Professor

Having your Cellular Data turned off shouldn't affect your vmail notifications in any way. That's an odd one, and the first time I've heard of this happening.

Data must be on in order for you to send/receive MMS. This goes across the board and isn't just something specific to Nokia/WP phones.

Having your Cellular Data turned off shouldn't affect your vmail notifications in any way. That's an odd one, and the first time I've heard of this happening.

Data must be on in order for you to send/receive MMS. This goes across the board and isn't just something specific to Nokia/WP phones.

Re: Must have cellular data on to receive/send MMS/Voicemail?

2 of 3 (11,050 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 2:26:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

MMS uses cellular data (but that usage doesn't count against your data plan) to send the multimedia attachments.

Visual Voicemail also uses cellular data (again, not counted against your plan) to send the voicemail to your phone where you then play it back - you can still "call your voicemail" and get the messages, but if you want to use visual voicemail you will need to turn on cellualr data.

You call call 611 and go back to standard voice mail (where you call in to check) and I believe you will get VM notifications in WP8 still, with data off.

MMS uses cellular data (but that usage doesn't count against your data plan) to send the multimedia attachments.

Visual Voicemail also uses cellular data (again, not counted against your plan) to send the voicemail to your phone where you then play it back - you can still "call your voicemail" and get the messages, but if you want to use visual voicemail you will need to turn on cellualr data.

You call call 611 and go back to standard voice mail (where you call in to check) and I believe you will get VM notifications in WP8 still, with data off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Must have cellular data on to receive/send MMS/Voicemail?

3 of 3 (11,044 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments