Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 30, 2014
9:53:59 AM
View profile
Multiple MicroCells on One Account?

Can I have more than one MicroCell on my account? I just activated one for my house, and I'm thinking of getting another one for my sister's house, which is also in a bad AT&T coverage area.

If I grab a used one on eBay, and go through the same activaton process, will it work? Or am I limited to just one on my account?

Thanks!

Can I have more than one MicroCell on my account? I just activated one for my house, and I'm thinking of getting another one for my sister's house, which is also in a bad AT&T coverage area.

If I grab a used one on eBay, and go through the same activaton process, will it work? Or am I limited to just one on my account?

Thanks!

Multiple MicroCells on One Account?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 10:14:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You may have more than one Mcell on your account at your physical address to provide enhance coverage over what just one Mcell can provide for your home.  This has been done before.

However, you can't buy a second Mcell and put it on your account at a different physical address.

If your sister needs a Mcell because she is in a poor coverage area, she needs to have her own AT&T account and live in an AT&T service area.  Remember, e911 calls are tied to the address you enter during the registration process and AT&T rules require the entered address to match the GPS location provided by the Mcell.

As far as used Mcells listed on eBay, unless you get a short-term warranty from the seller guarantying  the unit works and that you can return it if it doesn't, I would not buy one used.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

You may have more than one Mcell on your account at your physical address to provide enhance coverage over what just one Mcell can provide for your home.  This has been done before.

However, you can't buy a second Mcell and put it on your account at a different physical address.

If your sister needs a Mcell because she is in a poor coverage area, she needs to have her own AT&T account and live in an AT&T service area.  Remember, e911 calls are tied to the address you enter during the registration process and AT&T rules require the entered address to match the GPS location provided by the Mcell.

As far as used Mcells listed on eBay, unless you get a short-term warranty from the seller guarantying  the unit works and that you can return it if it doesn't, I would not buy one used.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Multiple MicroCells on One Account?

2 of 20 (2,402 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 10:16:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

First off, I'd be a bit leery of getting one off of eBay because you never know the condition and if it was properly deactivated before it was sold.

Technically speaking, the "owner" of the MicroCell has to have a post-paid account so that the serial number of the MicroCell is tied to the primary phone number's account for proper activation and identification. You might be able to activate the MicroCell at your sister's house using your phone number as the primary number and her phone number on the Approved User's list. If she is on the Approved User list, then her account with AT&T can either be a pre or postpaid account. I think the major issue here will be buying one off of eBay though.

First off, I'd be a bit leery of getting one off of eBay because you never know the condition and if it was properly deactivated before it was sold.

Technically speaking, the "owner" of the MicroCell has to have a post-paid account so that the serial number of the MicroCell is tied to the primary phone number's account for proper activation and identification. You might be able to activate the MicroCell at your sister's house using your phone number as the primary number and her phone number on the Approved User's list. If she is on the Approved User list, then her account with AT&T can either be a pre or postpaid account. I think the major issue here will be buying one off of eBay though.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 20 (2,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 10:21:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 is probably correct. You can move your MicroCell from place to place but having two separate units at two different physical locations is a problem. Some have tried that before with mixed results. Even if you activate your sister's MicroCell at your house and then move it to her's, when location verification is done during the maintenance window at night, the discrepancy between two different units at two different locations under one account may cause a disconnect.

Avedis53 is probably correct. You can move your MicroCell from place to place but having two separate units at two different physical locations is a problem. Some have tried that before with mixed results. Even if you activate your sister's MicroCell at your house and then move it to her's, when location verification is done during the maintenance window at night, the discrepancy between two different units at two different locations under one account may cause a disconnect.

4 of 20 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 10:37:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Otto

I don't see how that could work.  The sister would not be a primary account holder and therefore could not register the Mcell to herself and her physical location.  As AT&T states:

3G MicroCell can only be used at an Authorized Location

You can only use your 3G MicroCell where AT&T is authorized to provide wireless service. Additionally, 3G MicroCell operation may be limited to specific places within our network coverage area. See your AT&T representative for specific information on service availability.

The address where the 3G MicroCell is physically located will be periodically verified by AT&T. If buildings, landforms, or other obstructions block satellite and cell tower wireless signals to the MicroCell, AT&T may not be able to verify the location of the device. If AT&T is unable to verify that the physical address of the device is located within an AT&T authorized service area, the 3G MicroCell will not remain in service.

@ Otto

I don't see how that could work.  The sister would not be a primary account holder and therefore could not register the Mcell to herself and her physical location.  As AT&T states:

3G MicroCell can only be used at an Authorized Location

You can only use your 3G MicroCell where AT&T is authorized to provide wireless service. Additionally, 3G MicroCell operation may be limited to specific places within our network coverage area. See your AT&T representative for specific information on service availability.

The address where the 3G MicroCell is physically located will be periodically verified by AT&T. If buildings, landforms, or other obstructions block satellite and cell tower wireless signals to the MicroCell, AT&T may not be able to verify the location of the device. If AT&T is unable to verify that the physical address of the device is located within an AT&T authorized service area, the 3G MicroCell will not remain in service.

5 of 20 (2,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 11:00:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah I know. This is similar to the other poster we were dealing with earlier last week. IF, her MicroCell is in a MicroCell Service Area, and IF her brother registers it at his location using his phone number as the Primary, and then moves it to her location and sets it up as if he were moving it to his "summer home", and IF she is on the Approved Users list, it may work. But E911 will be messed up once he starts using his MicroCell at his residence because both units are active and associated with his cell phone number. It MIGHT work for awhile but once location verification happen during the maintenance window connection will be lost on her's and possible his MicroCell.

An interesting mental exercise but I would suggest not doing it because it could mess up his account and that would probably take a long time to correct, if ever. If she has a postpaid account, it would be better if she bought her own unit from AT&T. If coverage is so bad in her home, and if she is in a MicroCell Service Area, she may be able to purchase one at a discount but that's entirely up to AT&T support. Can't hurt to try. If she doesn't have a postpaid account, I'm afraid she's out of luck.

Yeah I know. This is similar to the other poster we were dealing with earlier last week. IF, her MicroCell is in a MicroCell Service Area, and IF her brother registers it at his location using his phone number as the Primary, and then moves it to her location and sets it up as if he were moving it to his "summer home", and IF she is on the Approved Users list, it may work. But E911 will be messed up once he starts using his MicroCell at his residence because both units are active and associated with his cell phone number. It MIGHT work for awhile but once location verification happen during the maintenance window connection will be lost on her's and possible his MicroCell.

An interesting mental exercise but I would suggest not doing it because it could mess up his account and that would probably take a long time to correct, if ever. If she has a postpaid account, it would be better if she bought her own unit from AT&T. If coverage is so bad in her home, and if she is in a MicroCell Service Area, she may be able to purchase one at a discount but that's entirely up to AT&T support. Can't hurt to try. If she doesn't have a postpaid account, I'm afraid she's out of luck.

6 of 20 (2,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 4:06:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Many thanks for the info. I guess I'll consider other options!

Many thanks for the info. I guess I'll consider other options!

7 of 20 (2,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 4:47:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I see two reasonable options. Either she gets her own postpaid account (if she doesn't have one already) and purchase a new MicroCell from AT&T (and push to get some sort of discount), or switch to Verizon. Other suggestions, as mentioned above, may work for a brief period of time but I wouldn't advise them.

I see two reasonable options. Either she gets her own postpaid account (if she doesn't have one already) and purchase a new MicroCell from AT&T (and push to get some sort of discount), or switch to Verizon. Other suggestions, as mentioned above, may work for a brief period of time but I wouldn't advise them.

8 of 20 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 5:00:42 AM
(0)
Guru

FWIW,  I did have a similiar configuration to the one being discussed here.

Early on I had two MC's in my house for more solid coverage.  Then a change seemed to happen (firmware upgrade or whatever)  where one MC, centrally located, covered the entire house well enough.

I'm on the east coast and I sent my second MC to my son on the west coast.   Eventually I unregistered that second MC and my son registered it to himself, but for the first month or three out west, I simply changed the address where that MC was located, my son plugged it in, and it worked.

That was a couple of years ago and the system may have changed by now but if definitely worked for us back then.

FWIW,  I did have a similiar configuration to the one being discussed here.

Early on I had two MC's in my house for more solid coverage.  Then a change seemed to happen (firmware upgrade or whatever)  where one MC, centrally located, covered the entire house well enough.

I'm on the east coast and I sent my second MC to my son on the west coast.   Eventually I unregistered that second MC and my son registered it to himself, but for the first month or three out west, I simply changed the address where that MC was located, my son plugged it in, and it worked.

That was a couple of years ago and the system may have changed by now but if definitely worked for us back then.

9 of 20 (2,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 8:19:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Was it his phone number as the Primary number or was it sill yours and his number was on the Approved User list? There have been some issues in the past and currently with Activation so anything is possible.

You can have two MicroCell's at the same location under one account to extend coverage. You can physically move one MicroCell to another location (a summer home for example) and activate it there because  it's still using your number as the primary number (as long as you are still in a MicroCell Service Area and there aren't any issues with location address). As long as the primary phone number is an active postpaid account there shouldn't be any problems what you do as long as it's been deregistered properly.

Was it his phone number as the Primary number or was it sill yours and his number was on the Approved User list? There have been some issues in the past and currently with Activation so anything is possible.

You can have two MicroCell's at the same location under one account to extend coverage. You can physically move one MicroCell to another location (a summer home for example) and activate it there because  it's still using your number as the primary number (as long as you are still in a MicroCell Service Area and there aren't any issues with location address). As long as the primary phone number is an active postpaid account there shouldn't be any problems what you do as long as it's been deregistered properly.

10 of 20 (2,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 8:23:12 AM
(0)
Guru

Yep....my number remained the primary number until I de-activated the MicroCell and my son activated in on his account.

It seems like the original poster should be able to do the same, unless he cares that his number would still be the Primary when his sis was using the second unit.

Yep....my number remained the primary number until I de-activated the MicroCell and my son activated in on his account.

It seems like the original poster should be able to do the same, unless he cares that his number would still be the Primary when his sis was using the second unit.

11 of 20 (2,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 8:42:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As long as she has an active postpaid account then she can be the "owner" of the MicroCell and register it under her account. If she doesn't have an active postpaid account, well then.......

As long as she has an active postpaid account then she can be the "owner" of the MicroCell and register it under her account. If she doesn't have an active postpaid account, well then.......

12 of 20 (2,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 9:04:40 AM
(0)
Guru

I get that, but my point was that judging from my experience, if the original poster was willing to leave the second MC is his name, his sis should be able to use it at her address without a problem. Smiley Wink

I get that, but my point was that judging from my experience, if the original poster was willing to leave the second MC is his name, his sis should be able to use it at her address without a problem. Smiley Wink

13 of 20 (2,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 9:19:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Except for E911 calls.....leaving it in his name means his registered address is associated with both Mcells.  If his sister were to need emergency services and called 911, they would be sent to her brother's address.  Not worth it IMHO.....

Except for E911 calls.....leaving it in his name means his registered address is associated with both Mcells.  If his sister were to need emergency services and called 911, they would be sent to her brother's address.  Not worth it IMHO.....

14 of 20 (2,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 9:35:12 AM
(0)
Guru

Maybe the sis has a landline that she'd use for 911 calls?

Or she might do what I do....have the 10 digit phone number of the local PD emergency services saved as a speed dial.  I do that in case I'm away from home, where 911 would connect me to another department, and I need to contact my own PD for an emergency at my house.

I get that it's not worth it to you, and probably not to me, but one size doesn't fit all and the 911 issue may or may not concern the OP and his sister.

Maybe the sis has a landline that she'd use for 911 calls?

Or she might do what I do....have the 10 digit phone number of the local PD emergency services saved as a speed dial.  I do that in case I'm away from home, where 911 would connect me to another department, and I need to contact my own PD for an emergency at my house.

I get that it's not worth it to you, and probably not to me, but one size doesn't fit all and the 911 issue may or may not concern the OP and his sister.

15 of 20 (2,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 9:50:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I do the same as you for 9-1-1 calls from my cell phone. Each county or state seems to be different but down here in Silicon Valley, I use the 11-digit phone number on my cell phone. That way, as long as I am in my area code, using that gets me to the 9-1-1 operator as if I was dialing from a landline. Dialing 9-1-1 from a cell phone first goes to the CHP dispatcher who then transfer the call, depending on the emergency, for your location to emergency services who then dispatches emergency response. Very fast, but a delay can occur. Landline calls, or 11-digit dialed calls, immediately dispatches your location and even if you can't talk, but keep the line open, fire and ambulance is sent to your location. The only time I would use 9-1-1 is if I was calling from my landline. Otherwise, I use the 11-digit number on my cell. Of course, if I'm out of my area code, then I'll dial 9-1-1 on my cell.

I do the same as you for 9-1-1 calls from my cell phone. Each county or state seems to be different but down here in Silicon Valley, I use the 11-digit phone number on my cell phone. That way, as long as I am in my area code, using that gets me to the 9-1-1 operator as if I was dialing from a landline. Dialing 9-1-1 from a cell phone first goes to the CHP dispatcher who then transfer the call, depending on the emergency, for your location to emergency services who then dispatches emergency response. Very fast, but a delay can occur. Landline calls, or 11-digit dialed calls, immediately dispatches your location and even if you can't talk, but keep the line open, fire and ambulance is sent to your location. The only time I would use 9-1-1 is if I was calling from my landline. Otherwise, I use the 11-digit number on my cell. Of course, if I'm out of my area code, then I'll dial 9-1-1 on my cell.

16 of 20 (2,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2014 9:51:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Perhaps it may not concern them however, the important fact is that they be aware of that shortcoming as they may not realize it.

Perhaps it may not concern them however, the important fact is that they be aware of that shortcoming as they may not realize it.

17 of 20 (2,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 11:12:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

There is misinformation being given here. You most certainlly can have 2 M Cells on the same post paid acount at 2 different physical addresses as long as they are both in the ATT service area. Each will have its own location address and if you dial 911 it will use the the address registered for that M Cell.

I have done this and know it works. I had an M Cell in my home and another at my business location about 15 miles apart. Each M Cell had its own 911 Address.

There is misinformation being given here. You most certainlly can have 2 M Cells on the same post paid acount at 2 different physical addresses as long as they are both in the ATT service area. Each will have its own location address and if you dial 911 it will use the the address registered for that M Cell.

I have done this and know it works. I had an M Cell in my home and another at my business location about 15 miles apart. Each M Cell had its own 911 Address.

18 of 20 (2,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 11:23:41 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:24:08 AM

Y'know, rjniles, I think you're absolutely correct.  It's the registered address that will determine where a 911 call is routed to, regardless of what account the MicroCell belongs to or what the primary cell phone number is.

When my son had my MC for several months before we switched it to his account, he never had occassion to dial 911.  But in thinking about it, I'm almost 100% sure that as you explained, he would've reached his local emergency dispatcher even though the MC was still registered to my account.

Thank you for pointing out the correct scoop.

Y'know, rjniles, I think you're absolutely correct.  It's the registered address that will determine where a 911 call is routed to, regardless of what account the MicroCell belongs to or what the primary cell phone number is.

When my son had my MC for several months before we switched it to his account, he never had occassion to dial 911.  But in thinking about it, I'm almost 100% sure that as you explained, he would've reached his local emergency dispatcher even though the MC was still registered to my account.

Thank you for pointing out the correct scoop.

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (2,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 4:05:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It has always been my understanding that as long as the primary phone number is a current postpaid account (the owner of the account), you can have one or more MicroCell's at differnet locations. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of MicroCell serial numbers that can be registered to one account though.If you have a prepaid account, you can't "own" a MicroCell. In other words, you can't register a MicroCell with a prepaid account phone number (according to AT&T). I think the confusion may arise from multiple phone numbers with one postpaid account (a Family Plan for example). In that case, I would think that you could still register a MicroCell at a different location using the account holder's phone number and then add the other phone numbers associated with that account as Approved Users and use the Microcell.
I guess the question is can a person who is part of a Family Plan (which would be a potpaid account) register a MicroCell and use their phone number as the primary number for registration purposes.

9-1-1 will be located to where ever the call originates from using the registered GPS coordinates. However, I would never use 9-1-1 on my cell phone for emergencies in my area code. I would still use the 11-digit number. That may be changing in other regions but we had a Neighborhood Watch meeting about 2 years ago and that was one of the points that our local PD made. If you have cell phone only, use the 11-digit number for emergencies to avoid any potential delays in call routing when in your area code. It's just like using a landline.

It has always been my understanding that as long as the primary phone number is a current postpaid account (the owner of the account), you can have one or more MicroCell's at differnet locations. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of MicroCell serial numbers that can be registered to one account though.If you have a prepaid account, you can't "own" a MicroCell. In other words, you can't register a MicroCell with a prepaid account phone number (according to AT&T). I think the confusion may arise from multiple phone numbers with one postpaid account (a Family Plan for example). In that case, I would think that you could still register a MicroCell at a different location using the account holder's phone number and then add the other phone numbers associated with that account as Approved Users and use the Microcell.
I guess the question is can a person who is part of a Family Plan (which would be a potpaid account) register a MicroCell and use their phone number as the primary number for registration purposes.

9-1-1 will be located to where ever the call originates from using the registered GPS coordinates. However, I would never use 9-1-1 on my cell phone for emergencies in my area code. I would still use the 11-digit number. That may be changing in other regions but we had a Neighborhood Watch meeting about 2 years ago and that was one of the points that our local PD made. If you have cell phone only, use the 11-digit number for emergencies to avoid any potential delays in call routing when in your area code. It's just like using a landline.

20 of 20 (2,198 Views)