Moving One Line from Existing Family Plan to New Family Plan

Tutor

Moving One Line from Existing Family Plan to New Family Plan

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am a customer of VZW out of contract. My fiance is currently in a AT&T family plan with her parents. What we would like to do is start the new family plan (2 lines for $130 - 10gb data / unlimited phone / text). I would move over to AT&T. The question is.. would she be penalized to move her line from her existing family plan to this new one with me? Please note she just upgraded to a new 2 year plan (by getting an iphone 5s) about 3 months ago so she is still under contract. 

Could we have the new family plan for $130? What would be the implications for her seeing that she just renewed not too long ago? Would she be stuck in contract the remainder? Any additional costs?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8 (1,186 Views)
Guru

Re: Moving One Line from Existing Family Plan to New Family Plan

[ Edited ]

You can do a transfer of billing responsibility and move her line to her name or your name and keep the phone/number/contract. In that scenario, you would not be able to get the $130 pricing. It would be $100 for the 10 gb, and $40 for her line. Her line would drop to $15 once contract expires. Your line will be $15 as long as you bring your own phone, purchase one at full price or get one using the Next monthly installment plan.

in the FAQ, it mentions how customers who do a transfer of billing responsibility do not qualify for the $15 per line(or $25 dollar discount from $40 as it's called in the FAQ)

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=2a4Dz7V0QtS

Will customers performing a transfer of billing responsibility (ToBR) also receive the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit discount on a two-year service agreement?

Transfer of Billing Responsibility (TOBR) is excluded from receiving the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit.

Message 2 of 8 (1,169 Views)
Tutor

Is there anything a manager at a store could do to perhaps assist in getting this new family price?

Otherwise it seems like the only way to do so would be to cancel the her line (take the hit with the penalty) and start a new family plan correct?

Message 3 of 8 (1,119 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

If you cancel her line, you will owe whatever the ETF is, that is correct. You can then use her phone on the new plan and get the $130 pricing, assuming you bring your own phone or buy one full price or get one using the NEXT program. But, if you do cancel her line, she would need to get a new phone number. She can only keep her phone number if you guys do a transfer of billing responsibility. 

Edit: sorry, there is one option to keep her phone number. You can port her number to google voice, which is free, then once you have it on google voice, you can port it to your new account. By porting out of att, that will automatically trigger the ETF. 

Message 4 of 8 (1,115 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Is there any possible way for her to keep her number and try to get this new plan w/o going the google voice route? We wouldnt mind her being on a new 2 year contract while we are on the new plan.

Is there something a retail store can do for us? Perhaps a manager?

Please advise.

Thanks again for all your help

Message 5 of 8 (1,093 Views)
ACE - Expert

go to a corporate store. Transfer her line to a new account (you will need the current account holder to sign for transfer) and port your number to her account.
When you transfer an account, you can only get the new plans that are available. If she wants to keep her current plan, she will have to stay where she is.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 8 (1,078 Views)
Tutor

okay.. i have been going back and forth and back again with different at&t agents and representatives.. what you guys had mentioned earlier about the transfer..

Will customers performing a transfer of billing responsibility (ToBR) also receive the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit discount on a two-year service agreement?

Transfer of Billing Responsibility (TOBR) is excluded from receiving the $25 Mobile Share Value savings credit.

this is gone from the FAQ.. and now they are telling me there will be NO FEE for her line..

can anyone from at&t please confirm this?

Message 7 of 8 (1,072 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

If your line is currently under 2 year service agreement, performing a ToBR will not allow the $25 savings (because you are not eligible).
If your line is NOT under serviced agreement, then you are eligible for the discount.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8 (1,067 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.