Motime monthly subscriptions

Tutor

Motime monthly subscriptions

I recently found out that several of my phone numbers had subscription charges of 10.49 for motime.com for almost a year. Neither had been authorized by me. I called ATT and they refunded 3 month claiming I am responsible for reviewing the bill. Ok, I some part of  the responsiblity though in my defense I should note that figuring out your monthly subscription charges for a bill with 4 numbers is a nightmare, and I am not surprised I missed it. Monthly subscriptions are hidden behind some kind PIN wall and the steps you find out what happend in the past on different numbers is rather cumbersome.

A quick search of the internet reveals that fraudulent motime subscriptions are a long standing problem. Why has ATT not put a stop to this? At best I can see this as negligent, at worse I wonder if ATT isn't making money of the scam itself. They have control over their suscriber network and could stop access, correct? That is part of their corporate responsiblity to their customers.  I am majorly ticked off and wonder what my recourse is?

Message 1 of 4 (816 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Motime monthly subscriptions

axman98 wrote:

I recently found out that several of my phone numbers had subscription charges of 10.49 for motime.com for almost a year. Neither had been authorized by me. I called ATT and they refunded 3 month claiming I am responsible for reviewing the bill. Ok, I some part of  the responsiblity though in my defense I should note that figuring out your monthly subscription charges for a bill with 4 numbers is a nightmare, and I am not surprised I missed it. Monthly subscriptions are hidden behind some kind PIN wall and the steps you find out what happend in the past on different numbers is rather cumbersome.

A quick search of the internet reveals that fraudulent motime subscriptions are a long standing problem. Why has ATT not put a stop to this? At best I can see this as negligent, at worse I wonder if ATT isn't making money of the scam itself. They have control over their suscriber network and could stop access, correct? That is part of their corporate responsiblity to their customers.  I am majorly ticked off and wonder what my recourse is?

be pro-active call att and add a purchase block to the number, it is free and simple.

Unfortunately these places use various methods of sending your the "I agree", if you download a "free" ringtone, wall paper, etc you agree, if you take a quiz throguh your phone, you agree, if you get a text message that is 500 words long, embdeded in the text message can by "By not responding No or Stop to this message you agree to the subscription.

Message 2 of 4 (796 Views)

It's a scam. The reason ATT hasn't stopped it is because not enough people have contacted the FCC, BBB, FTC, and thier state's attorney general. If a fraction of scammed customers would do so it would be ended in a heartbeat.

Message 3 of 4 (614 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

It's a scam. The reason ATT hasn't stopped it is because not enough people have contacted the FCC, BBB, FTC, and thier state's attorney general. If a fraction of scammed customers would do so it would be ended in a heartbeat.

doubt it, not that carrier's fault, same thing happens on verizon, sprint, t-mobile, vodaphone, rogers and any other carrier you wish to mention, if the spammers registerer out of country the fcc, ftc have no power, in country or out of county the bbb is a powerless to enforce anything, it is the mythical power that has no teeth

Message 4 of 4 (606 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.