Anonymous

Mobile Share Value Plan; conflicting terms

[ Edited ]

If one goes to the AT&T webpage heralding the new Mobile Share Value Plans 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=qEKYGhp3h6h

and scrolls down to click on the link

See additional terms and restrictions.

One sees this statement that one of the devices must be a smartphone:

6.14 AT&T Mobile Share Plans (with Unlimited Talk and Text)

AT&T Mobile Share plans allow you to share a monthly allotment of domestic wireless data usage, along with unlimited domestic talk and texting services (for basic phones, quick messaging phones and smartphones), among up to ten (10) devices. You choose a specific allotment of monthly shared data usage for a monthly recurring charge and then pay an additional charge for each Device added to the Mobile Share plan you select. You must specifically identify the devices (the “Designated Devices”) that will share your monthly allotment of data usage under the Mobile Share plan you select. At least one of the Designated Devices must be a smartphone and the remaining Designated Devices can include: smartphone(s), tablet(s), gaming device(s), modem(s), netbook(s), laptop(s), mobile hotspot(s), or basic or quick messaging phone(s).

However, if one scrolls to the bottom of that page and clicks on Wireless Customer Agreement

and then goes to section 6.14, there is no mention that one of the devices must be a smartphone.

6.14   AT&T Mobile Share Plans (with Unlimited Talk and Text)

AT&T Mobile Share plans allow you to share a monthly allotment of domestic wireless data usage, along with unlimited domestic talk and texting services (for basic phones, quick messaging phones, smartphones, WHP Devices and Home Bases), among up to ten (10) 3G, HSPA+ or LTE Devices. You choose a specific allotment of monthly shared data usage for a monthly recurring charge and then pay an additional charge for each Device added to the Mobile Share plan you select. You must specifically identify the devices (the “Designated Devices”) that will share your monthly allotment of data usage under the Mobile Share plan you select. If you add a WHP Device for unlimited talk only, it will be counted as one of the (10) Designated Devices under the Mobile Share plan. Designated Devices can include: smartphone(s), tablet(s), gaming device(s), modem(s), netbook(s), laptop(s), mobile hotspot(s), basic or quick messaging phone(s), WHP Device(s) or Home Base(s)

So, can one sign up for the Mobile Share Value Plan with just a feature (basic) phone and pay the $20 for the feature phone and $20 for the 300 MB data plan for a total of $40 (plus taxes & fees)?

Could two people sign up, 2 feature phones $40, 300 MB shared data, $20 for a total of $60 (+ T&F)?

Further, can one get a subsidized feature phone and pay the same amount?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10 (795 Views)
Professor

Re: Mobile Share Value Plan; conflicting terms

I asked for clarification on the same question and was told that a smartphone is not required for the Mobile Share Value plan.  I didn't get clarification on the monthly charges for the feature and basic phones, but since only one price is listed, what you have in your last paragraph should be possible.

Message 2 of 10 (768 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

21stnow is correct. A Smartphone is not required to have a Mobile Share Value plan where as on the regular Mobile Share plan (not Value) a smart phone is required.

the price with a basic phone would still be $45 dollars before taxes I believe since the 300MB plan is $25. However every additional device adds $20 if not under a contract or $40 if it is on contract. So in your instance, if you had 2 basic phones, your total before taxes would be $65 before taxes if not under a contract. If you were under a contract, the pricing would be $25 + $40 + $40 = $105.

hope that clears things up!

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (709 Views)
Anonymous

Unless there is different pricing for different areas of the country, the webpage I looked at says the cost of the 300 MB plan is $20, not $25.

On the same page it shows the cost for a basic phone as $20 with no mention of a different price if the basic phone is "under contract". Why in the world would anyone pay an extra $20 per month or a total of $480 for a basic phone on a 2 year contract?  I think the webpage pricing assumes that the basic phones are purchased outright.  

So the total cost for the 300 MB plan with two basic phones should be $20 + $20 + $20 = $60 plus taxes and fees.

The amount you quoted ($105) is more than I am paying ($100) for 2 smartphones under contract on the 300 MB plan.

Message 4 of 10 (695 Views)
Expert

Evandela wrote:

21stnow is correct. A Smartphone is not required to have a Mobile Share Value plan where as on the regular Mobile Share plan (not Value) a smart phone is required.

the price with a basic phone would still be $45 dollars before taxes I believe since the 300MB plan is $25. However every additional device adds $20 if not under a contract or $40 if it is on contract. So in your instance, if you had 2 basic phones, your total before taxes would be $65 before taxes if not under a contract. If you were under a contract, the pricing would be $25 + $40 + $40 = $105.

curious on the smartphone requirement - the terms and restrictions state this

AT&T Mobile Share plans allow you to share a monthly allotment of domestic wireless data usage, along with unlimited domestic talk and texting services (for basic phones, quick messaging phones and smartphones), among up to ten (10) devices. You choose a specific allotment of monthly shared data usage for a monthly recurring charge and then pay an additional charge for each Device added to the Mobile Share plan you select. You must specifically identify the devices (the “Designated Devices”) that will share your monthly allotment of data usage under the Mobile Share plan you select. At least one of the Designated Devices must be a smartphone and the remaining Designated Devices can include: smartphone(s), tablet(s), gaming device(s), modem(s), netbook(s), laptop(s), mobile hotspot(s), or basic or quick messaging phone(s).

got to it from here

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG

Message 5 of 10 (687 Views)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Evandela wrote:

got to it from here

I could have sworn I read somewhere that said that smartphones wouldn't be required... Can't seem to find it but I do see the confusion.

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10 (678 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Evandela wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Evandela wrote:

got to it from here

I could have sworn I read somewhere that said that smartphones wouldn't be required... Can't seem to find it but I do see the confusion.

It was in another area of this forum.

Message 7 of 10 (667 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Smartphones used to be required, but now basic phones work fine.

Yes you can share unlim talk/text 300mb for 2 basic phones $60.

I've gone through a mock order/new customer and that's what I come up with.

You can also see it here

www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 10 (655 Views)
Expert

loganic wrote:

Smartphones used to be required, but now basic phones work fine.

Yes you can share unlim talk/text 300mb for 2 basic phones $60.

I've gone through a mock order/new customer and that's what I come up with.

You can also see it here

www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

then someone needs to update your website, it specificly states that a smartphone is required

Message 9 of 10 (644 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Edit: Never mind, I see the issue

Edit: Edit: I clarified it, that information is correct for the original MobileShare plans. It is not the same for the 2nd generation Mobile Share Value plans. Feedback is being submitted to clarify the the T&C on the site.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 10 (635 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.