Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 13, 2013
6:34:34 PM
Mobile Share Plan & False Advertising....WARNING
I want to warn other AT&T wireless customers about what I believe to be VERY deceptive and unethical business practices related to the new Mobile Share Plan. I have five phones and three iPads on my account. I've learned that there is a 'secret' policy whereby they charge you a $150 deposit at the 8th device. The plan advertises up to 10 devices. The marketing literature, phone reps and in store reps will never mention this 'secret' policy. The contract says nothing about it. I've been with this company when it was BellSouth, Cingular and now AT&T and must say it now operates like an arrogant monopoly with no interest in retaining it's customers.
I want to warn other AT&T wireless customers about what I believe to be VERY deceptive and unethical business practices related to the new Mobile Share Plan. I have five phones and three iPads on my account. I've learned that there is a 'secret' policy whereby they charge you a $150 deposit at the 8th device. The plan advertises up to 10 devices. The marketing literature, phone reps and in store reps will never mention this 'secret' policy. The contract says nothing about it. I've been with this company when it was BellSouth, Cingular and now AT&T and must say it now operates like an arrogant monopoly with no interest in retaining it's customers.

Mobile Share Plan & False Advertising....WARNING

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 8:22:53 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi mallan0895

There is no "secret" policy, deposit requirements are account specific. 

Hi mallan0895

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Mobile Share Plan & False Advertising....WARNING

2 of 10 (1,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 9:47:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I've also read through everything and I didn't come across anything that the OP is referring to. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

I've also read through everything and I didn't come across anything that the OP is referring to. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (1,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 3:07:12 AM
(0)
Expert

drumn_bass wrote:

Hi mallan0895

add it is also credit reputation, payment reputation and payment dependability specific. If the account has been late they an addittional line could trigger a security deposit requirement

drumn_bass wrote:

Hi mallan0895

add it is also credit reputation, payment reputation and payment dependability specific. If the account has been late they an addittional line could trigger a security deposit requirement

4 of 10 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 5:41:55 AM
(0)
Guru
It prob goes by individual account, how you've paid, and credit etc. I'm running 10 devices and didn't come across any kind of secret fee.
It prob goes by individual account, how you've paid, and credit etc. I'm running 10 devices and didn't come across any kind of secret fee.

5 of 10 (1,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 9:13:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This policy isn't a secret or new policy.  You may not have run into it before Mobile Share because the older family accounts topped out at five lines.  If it took the eighth line to trigger it for you, it wouldn't become apparent until you switched to a plan that allows for eight lines.

Some people have to pay a deposit for the first line.  Others may pay the deposit at the fourth or ninth lines or never.  As others have said it depends on your credit history, both with and outside of AT&T.

This policy isn't a secret or new policy.  You may not have run into it before Mobile Share because the older family accounts topped out at five lines.  If it took the eighth line to trigger it for you, it wouldn't become apparent until you switched to a plan that allows for eight lines.

Some people have to pay a deposit for the first line.  Others may pay the deposit at the fourth or ninth lines or never.  As others have said it depends on your credit history, both with and outside of AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (1,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 10:26:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

If the customer has paid late or has credit issues the deposit requirement would make sense. Neither applies in my case. Contrary to some of the replies, I was told by customer support multiple times that this deposit is triggered when the 8th device is added to the account. In my case, I talked to both phone and in store reps in detail about the cost by device. I even created a spreadsheet comparing the detailed cost by device with my current plan, reviewed this with the in store rep and the deposit never came up in any of the discussions. Later I did a few test calls to customer support and even dropped by my local AT&T Store (not one of the franchise stores) and could not get anyone to mention the deposit requirement even when I tried to pull it out. I don't care how it's spun, this is deceptive and there is no acceptable excuse.

For me it's about the principle, not the cost. I like AT&T's technology, coverage, etc....otherwise I would not have hung in there with them for 20+ years (my 1st phone with bellsouth was a bag phone!). I don't like their back office or their attitude toward their customers. It's very bad and reflects the attitude of their mgmt team. I've have found customer service to always be professional and friendly. I am willing to spend a lot of money on my mobile services. We are heavy users. I can only conclude AT&T doesn't want customers like me who pay their bills and want to buy a lot of their services. It's very disappointing. 

If the customer has paid late or has credit issues the deposit requirement would make sense. Neither applies in my case. Contrary to some of the replies, I was told by customer support multiple times that this deposit is triggered when the 8th device is added to the account. In my case, I talked to both phone and in store reps in detail about the cost by device. I even created a spreadsheet comparing the detailed cost by device with my current plan, reviewed this with the in store rep and the deposit never came up in any of the discussions. Later I did a few test calls to customer support and even dropped by my local AT&T Store (not one of the franchise stores) and could not get anyone to mention the deposit requirement even when I tried to pull it out. I don't care how it's spun, this is deceptive and there is no acceptable excuse.

For me it's about the principle, not the cost. I like AT&T's technology, coverage, etc....otherwise I would not have hung in there with them for 20+ years (my 1st phone with bellsouth was a bag phone!). I don't like their back office or their attitude toward their customers. It's very bad and reflects the attitude of their mgmt team. I've have found customer service to always be professional and friendly. I am willing to spend a lot of money on my mobile services. We are heavy users. I can only conclude AT&T doesn't want customers like me who pay their bills and want to buy a lot of their services. It's very disappointing. 

7 of 10 (1,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 10:47:54 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:48:17 AM

mallan0895 wrote:

I texted one of my employee's she has 10 devices on her plan, she just added 9 and 10, she was not told of any "hidden" charge or was there one on her bill.

mallan0895 wrote:

I texted one of my employee's she has 10 devices on her plan, she just added 9 and 10, she was not told of any "hidden" charge or was there one on her bill.

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (1,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 7:22:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think AT&T has a dysfuctional back office. Inconsistent & unexplainable even by their own customer service reps. A bad way to run a business. 

I think AT&T has a dysfuctional back office. Inconsistent & unexplainable even by their own customer service reps. A bad way to run a business. 

9 of 10 (1,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 8:51:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Here's an update on how this issue ended.

I eventually filed a complaint with the Public Servce Commission and got a call from the Office of the President at AT&T.  Bottom line is that AT&T didn't have justification for the deposit (like bad credit or late paments), but nor did they take any real responsibility for their dysfunctional back office, incorrect records or poor customer service. The just credited the $150 deposit to close the case and will probably continue to be dysfunctional.

Regardless, there has to be a price for such poor customer service & that was the loss of my business account, home phone and home DSL business.  My family is still on AT&T for our personal mobile services, however they are on probation & could lose the account in the future if there are more issues such as this one. 

Here's an update on how this issue ended.

I eventually filed a complaint with the Public Servce Commission and got a call from the Office of the President at AT&T.  Bottom line is that AT&T didn't have justification for the deposit (like bad credit or late paments), but nor did they take any real responsibility for their dysfunctional back office, incorrect records or poor customer service. The just credited the $150 deposit to close the case and will probably continue to be dysfunctional.

Regardless, there has to be a price for such poor customer service & that was the loss of my business account, home phone and home DSL business.  My family is still on AT&T for our personal mobile services, however they are on probation & could lose the account in the future if there are more issues such as this one. 

10 of 10 (512 Views)