Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 13, 2013
1:11:24 PM
View profile
Mobile Protection Plan - Affect upgrade eligibility?

The plan mentions lost or damaged/malfunctioning phone. My phone has an array of problems, it's barely usable- doesn't charge, or hold charge, etc. I believe I can file a claim for a replacement phone.

The question is, I've had this phone for about a year, and paid about $100 in insurance. Right now, there is no phone I'd be glad to upgrade to. Can I file the claim, get a replacement, and then say in 3-4 months, a phone I want comes available, will my upgrade be affected? I'm fairly certain I'm eligible for upgrade, but will my claim affect my upgrade timeframe?

Thanks,
Mike

The plan mentions lost or damaged/malfunctioning phone. My phone has an array of problems, it's barely usable- doesn't charge, or hold charge, etc. I believe I can file a claim for a replacement phone.

The question is, I've had this phone for about a year, and paid about $100 in insurance. Right now, there is no phone I'd be glad to upgrade to. Can I file the claim, get a replacement, and then say in 3-4 months, a phone I want comes available, will my upgrade be affected? I'm fairly certain I'm eligible for upgrade, but will my claim affect my upgrade timeframe?

Thanks,
Mike

Mobile Protection Plan - Affect upgrade eligibility?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 1:35:57 PM
(0)
Expert

mkowalski21 wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

rememebr if you are filing a claim on a smartphone there is a 199.00 deducatable, you would be better off contacting themanufacturer to see if the is still a warrenty on it. It will not affect your upgrade status

mkowalski21 wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

rememebr if you are filing a claim on a smartphone there is a 199.00 deducatable, you would be better off contacting themanufacturer to see if the is still a warrenty on it. It will not affect your upgrade status

Re: Mobile Protection Plan - Affect upgrade eligibility?

2 of 11 (911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 1:51:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can you point me to where it says that on the ATT site? I was never told this, nor have I seen it on the ATT mobile protection website. It was my understanding I was paying 9.99/mo for protection, but looks like ATT has been cheating me all year, great.

Can you point me to where it says that on the ATT site? I was never told this, nor have I seen it on the ATT mobile protection website. It was my understanding I was paying 9.99/mo for protection, but looks like ATT has been cheating me all year, great.

3 of 11 (903 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 3:01:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I wouldn't say AT&T has been cheating you on the insurance feature really. Sorry of no one explained the feature in full detail, but yes essentially you are paying for the insurance on your device, but this is not a deductible. The deductible is dependent on the phone being replaced. Think of it like car insurance. You pay you bill monthly and when you get into an accident you still pay a deductible before the insurance gives you money to fix you care. Pretty much the same principle here. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
I wouldn't say AT&T has been cheating you on the insurance feature really. Sorry of no one explained the feature in full detail, but yes essentially you are paying for the insurance on your device, but this is not a deductible. The deductible is dependent on the phone being replaced. Think of it like car insurance. You pay you bill monthly and when you get into an accident you still pay a deductible before the insurance gives you money to fix you care. Pretty much the same principle here. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 4:06:32 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:08:39 PM

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf

there is a deductable on home owners, renters, automobile, motorcycle, boat, aircraft insurance policies, why would there not be one on a phone insurance policy?

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf

there is a deductable on home owners, renters, automobile, motorcycle, boat, aircraft insurance policies, why would there not be one on a phone insurance policy?

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:15:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

A lot of of companies just started adding deductibles. Which caused a lot of customer service issues. When I was with sprint I had insurance but didn't pay a deductible to get it replaced in 2008. But now they changed it.

wingrider01 wrote:

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

A lot of of companies just started adding deductibles. Which caused a lot of customer service issues. When I was with sprint I had insurance but didn't pay a deductible to get it replaced in 2008. But now they changed it.

6 of 11 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 4:32:06 PM
(0)
Expert

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

asurion through att has always had a deductable, they never did not have one, back in 2007 replaced a sprint cell phone, paid a 150.00 deducatable on it, that was when I wised up and added riders to my home owners and blanket insurance policies that cover cost of replacement with a 75.00 deductable

Linkgx1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mkowalski21 wrote:

right here on att's site

asurion through att has always had a deductable, they never did not have one, back in 2007 replaced a sprint cell phone, paid a 150.00 deducatable on it, that was when I wised up and added riders to my home owners and blanket insurance policies that cover cost of replacement with a 75.00 deductable

7 of 11 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 7:27:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
Then you should get the Best Buy insurance on phones which is great while more expensive ($9.99 or pay like 168 for it all at the time you pay for the phone as a one time payment vs $6.99 Without the added "features AT&T gives for the 9.99 one) there is no deductible if you break your phone and need to replace it at bestbuy but doesn't cover lost or stolen
Then you should get the Best Buy insurance on phones which is great while more expensive ($9.99 or pay like 168 for it all at the time you pay for the phone as a one time payment vs $6.99 Without the added "features AT&T gives for the 9.99 one) there is no deductible if you break your phone and need to replace it at bestbuy but doesn't cover lost or stolen

8 of 11 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 4:30:01 AM
(0)
Expert

Closingracer wrote:

Best Buy is not insurance, if it s a protection plan, if you lose the phone or it is stolen it is not covered, the black toe protection plan just covers damage. The plan from asurion covers both, no valid comparision

Closingracer wrote:

Best Buy is not insurance, if it s a protection plan, if you lose the phone or it is stolen it is not covered, the black toe protection plan just covers damage. The plan from asurion covers both, no valid comparision

9 of 11 (780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 1:16:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

You know what i meant and is still 10 times better then paying for a broken phone... While i ended up going for the AT&T insurance because of lost and stolen ( regret and should of gone with the Bestbuy one).

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

You know what i meant and is still 10 times better then paying for a broken phone... While i ended up going for the AT&T insurance because of lost and stolen ( regret and should of gone with the Bestbuy one).

10 of 11 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:33:02 PM
(0)
Expert

Closingracer wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Me I put a rider on my home owners insurace and it covers everything, best of all cost of replacement

Closingracer wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Me I put a rider on my home owners insurace and it covers everything, best of all cost of replacement

11 of 11 (705 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments