Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 26, 2014
10:43:13 AM
View profile
Mobile Hotspot and Tethering in Canada?

I am on a Mobile Share Value Plan. My phone has mobile hotspot and tethering capability.

When I am in Canada, can I use my phone as a mobile hotspot? Can I tether my phone?

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but every time I call or chat with AT&T, or ask at an AT&T company store, I get a different answer. So far, the score is 5-4 for the 'yes' side. I need to know for sure.

Has someone actually tried to use their phone as a mobile hotspot in Canada, or has someone actually tried to tether their phone in Canada? Thanks for your help.

I am on a Mobile Share Value Plan. My phone has mobile hotspot and tethering capability.

When I am in Canada, can I use my phone as a mobile hotspot? Can I tether my phone?

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but every time I call or chat with AT&T, or ask at an AT&T company store, I get a different answer. So far, the score is 5-4 for the 'yes' side. I need to know for sure.

Has someone actually tried to use their phone as a mobile hotspot in Canada, or has someone actually tried to tether their phone in Canada? Thanks for your help.

Mobile Hotspot and Tethering in Canada?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 3:01:31 PM
(0)
Former Employee

CellDaddy wrote:

You should be able to use mobile hotspot or tethering but the question to ask is how expensive will it be. Since you won't be on AT&T's data network, international roaming rates will apply. You should probably get an international data plan because you won't want to pay by the kilobyte but even with a data plan international roaming can be pretty expensive. I found this for Canada at: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=124&MNC=CING

Pay Per Use Data Rate$0.015per KB

Data Global Add-On Packages$30 for 120 MBs
$60 for 300 MBs
$120 for 800 MBs
Overage rate: $30 for 120 MBs

CellDaddy wrote:

You should be able to use mobile hotspot or tethering but the question to ask is how expensive will it be. Since you won't be on AT&T's data network, international roaming rates will apply. You should probably get an international data plan because you won't want to pay by the kilobyte but even with a data plan international roaming can be pretty expensive. I found this for Canada at: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=124&MNC=CING

Pay Per Use Data Rate$0.015per KB

Data Global Add-On Packages$30 for 120 MBs
$60 for 300 MBs
$120 for 800 MBs
Overage rate: $30 for 120 MBs

Re: Mobile Hotspot and Tethering in Canada?

2 of 3 (642 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 3:33:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am aware of the Data Global Add-On Packages. I was more concerned with whether mobile hotspot and tethering would work in the first place.

I don't understand why they wouldn't work in Canada. After all, WiFi is WiFi and a wire works the same way no matter what country you're in. I was mystified when some AT&T reps told me mobile hotspot and tethering wouldn't work in Canada.

My visits to Canada don't last long, perhaps a week, so a Data Global Add-On Package is perfect. I'm not going to stream Dancing With The Stars when I'm roaming. Smiley LOL

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am aware of the Data Global Add-On Packages. I was more concerned with whether mobile hotspot and tethering would work in the first place.

I don't understand why they wouldn't work in Canada. After all, WiFi is WiFi and a wire works the same way no matter what country you're in. I was mystified when some AT&T reps told me mobile hotspot and tethering wouldn't work in Canada.

My visits to Canada don't last long, perhaps a week, so a Data Global Add-On Package is perfect. I'm not going to stream Dancing With The Stars when I'm roaming. Smiley LOL

Re: Mobile Hotspot and Tethering in Canada?

3 of 3 (638 Views)