Ask a question

Posted Nov 14, 2011
6:50:36 PM
View profile
Military Suspensions

To Policy Makers at ATT,

My son is on our family plan. He is active duty Afghanistan. He deployed spring of 2011. Military orders were sent as requested to ATT for a military phone suspension.

September 29, 2011, my son returned to the US. for leave, we requested ATT activate his phone for three weeks while home. I was assured It was no problem and the phone could be suspended again after his leave.

After my son returned to his duties over seas, I called to make sure his phone was suspended again. I was asked to send his military orders again, I explained that they had been sent in last spring and ATT should have record of them. After which I received two emails on October 20, one asking for his military orders again and next saying the issue is resolved. I called the number of the second email just be sure. Again I was reassured everything was squared away.

I am enrolled in automatic bill pay and had received an email notice to view my ATT bill. To my surprise my son's phone had been terminated and I was charged a $95 for early termination fees.

The following events of the day in order to explain my dissatisfaction with your company;

• Called customer service only to speak to a foreign customer service agent who doesn't exactly understand the ins and outs of the US military.
  • Who then needed sensitive information such as social number, date of birth and full name of my son. (Asked person where they were located. Told me they were not allowed to divulge that information. Can you see the irony? Was this person Pakistani?)
  • I was told the reason the phone was terminated was, I hadn't sent in military orders and I need to send them in.
  • Told him I can't get them since my son is unavailable and I he would not be able to send them from his location. 
  • And that ATT should have them on record.
  • Explained emails and past conversations.
  • On the phone for 15 minutes
  • On the phone for another 20 minutes now while he goes over Military Suspension Policy and confers with his supervisor.
  • On phone another 30 minutes to look for my sons info on the Pentagon data base to find he is active.
  • After all of this, the result is to tell me to send in my son's orders.
  • I hung up the phone.
  • Called sales and now talked with someone who appears to be an American. (Why are sales persons American and complaints handled in foreign countries)
  • Repeat most of the process above.
  • The sales person reverses the fees for termination but had to do a credit check on us to reactivate the my son's phone.
  • The phone is now activated. (I hope no one texts him as we are aware of the $1.25 per text cost)
  • Then the phone will be, hopefully, military suspended on December 5.
  • Now it's been almost 2 hours on the phone.

When people asked me why I have ATT when coverage is poor here, I tell them it's because of the service. I tell them how I call ATT and get an American speaker and get any problem handled efficiently and thoroughly. Is it really cheaper if you have to tie up a service rep for two hours? Does it really help our miliary, as At&t does, when they are in a theater of war for more paperwork?  

This is my son's 2nd tour and until recently I have had no difficulties with suspensions and reactivations. I don't know why you have implemented such horrible policies.

Your customer service representatives are very courteous and professional, even if sometimes not understandable. (Your customer service phonelines are very staticy already besides dealing with an accent). But I feel your policies are hampering them unnecessarily and so with the recent changes, you are not giving me much of a reason to stay a loyal ATT customer.

I added Charter and Verizon to my list of companies I refuse to deal with, because of cheap overseas customer service with all it's miscommunication and it's supervisors being hand tied. I hope ATT is not next.

Military Suspensions

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 7:37:08 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hello, 

I'm very sorry that you've had such difficulty getting this straightened out. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, the account number, your contact phone number and the best time to contact you so I can have a member of our team call you tomorrow?

I'm sure we'll be able to get this taken care of. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Military Suspensions

2 of 17 (5,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 4:42:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

WOW It's like reading EXACTLY what is happening to me RIGHT now....

Except I have done this 3 times since being a member with AT&T and before the process was so smooth I never even thought twice about my phone. But THIS time... it has been a mess since I left home to serve in April 2011. 

I JUST got back on R&R (my two weeks leave) and the girl on the phone is telling me that AT&T no longer offers military suspensions so I have to cancel my line. 

I dont know whats going on AT&T... 

3 of 17 (5,822 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 5:57:45 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Charlie V. wrote:

WOW It's like reading EXACTLY what is happening to me RIGHT now....

Except I have done this 3 times since being a member with AT&T and before the process was so smooth I never even thought twice about my phone. But THIS time... it has been a mess since I left home to serve in April 2011. 

I JUST got back on R&R (my two weeks leave) and the girl on the phone is telling me that AT&T no longer offers military suspensions so I have to cancel my line. 

I dont know whats going on AT&T... 

We need to get this taken care of for you. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 17 (5,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 4:43:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Try this email address. Your serving our country and you should pitch a fit.
Consumer Care-Military G13760@att.com

5 of 17 (5,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:18:50 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:25:00 AM

doetto wrote:
Try this email address. Your serving our country and you should pitch a fit.
Consumer Care-Military G13760@att.com

My offer to assist is still open, please let me know if you'd like me to help. 

--------------

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (5,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:14:36 AM
(0)
Guru
When I served att was very good to me when it came to going overseas so I'm sure they will treat you right.

7 of 17 (5,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 9:34:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

My hubby and I were recently shocked by our bill as well.  I'm a real estate agent, thus on the phone a great deal.  We moved to a 1400 minute plan YEARS ago because of my constant use of the cell phone.  I use it 700-1000 minutes per month to his 200-300 minutes. 

He called and talked to them about his options since he was deploying.  They told him they could suspend his number, EVERYTHING else would remain the same, just his number would be affected.  At least that is what he understood.  So imagine my shock when I received my bill to find that for some reason I'm now on a 450 minute plan, 2900 roll over minutes had been removed from our account and I was being charged $20.00 for texting. Total, I'm paying 89.99 for a 450 plan with texting and data! 

I think the information itself or the way the information was presented was very poorly conveyed!  The rep I spoke with last night said, well you can't have a family plan when there is only one person and you can go back to that plan when he returns.  I said, that's great, but in the mean time I'm going to pay an ARM AND A LEG to use the phone since I'm the one who ACTUALLY uses the phone.  This month I used 775 minutes.  At 40 cents per minute that would have been an extra $130 on the bill had I not had roll over minutes.  Before Military suspension bill  = 173.00.  New bill (had I not had roll over minutes to use) = $220.  NOW THERE'S A MILITARY SAVINGS FOR YOU!  The rep did add 5,000 roll over minutes back to my account, but I just hope that I don't use all of those in the next 9 months. 

They did call to confirm his military deployment and we played phone tag in which I ended up leaving a message stating yep he is deployed.  They also sent an e-mail regarding 'recent changes to my account'.  However, I was never able to get any links to work that was suppose to tell me what those changes were.  I just assumed it was, yes, military suspension.  I had no idea that my number was going to be effected as well.

He said he is ready to look for a new carrier upon his return.  I've liked AT&t and been with them since 2005, but these types of miscommunication are very costly.  Luckily I caught this and had some roll over minutes to use. 

My recommendation.  If you are in the military and have a family plan, DO NOT SUSPEND your service, especially if your spouse actually uses the phone.  If you suspend the service, you will end up paying far more every month in the 40 cents per minutes that they go over, then if you would just keep the phone active and off while you are away. 

8 of 17 (5,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 10:18:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah I am done with them... I have spoken to 10 people and all give solutions that just end up the same way cancel your line blah blah.  They used to offer this great service where it was simply suspended EVERYTHING stayed the same and you paid like 5 bucks a month. Hey you still paid but it was worth every cent.

Now you turn it off and whatever "plans" are currently available you have to pick from even if they cost more or do not have the same features that you originally had. I used to have unlimited data... thats gone. I had two lines with a nice plan and I paid about 160 bucks for both phones. I got back from afghanistan and I had to pay 190 for less minutes and no unlimited data. When they explained the benifit of canceling they tell me that I will no longer be under contract... woohoo! I havent had a contract with A&TT for almost 2 years so... thanks for nothing. 

Luckly the iphone is out there with other providers now. I think it was the last thing keeping me here. When I get back from this African deployment I will be shopping around. 

GO NAVY! 

9 of 17 (5,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 6:38:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Dec 26, 2011 at 6:41:30 PM

I put my account on military suspension Sept 2010. Based on an email, my account (w/ two lines of service) was suspended for 18 months w/ the option of calling in and extending if need be. I just recieved an email confirmation regarding a change to my account, which i did not authorize. I called customer service and they told me that the wireless number that i was calling about was no longer under my name. Apparently someone at att canceled my primary wireless number on the account and gave my number away to another customer! I was on the phone with a rep who basically told me that it must have been my fault, that i was the one who must have called and canceled my suspension, when i didn't, and basically told me i was {Inappropriate content removed} out of luck in regards to getting my number back.  After 40 minutes and getting no where, i asked to speak to a manager.....she hung up on me! I called customer service again and this time was routed to someone in India? who i could barely understand. After another 20 minutes trying to explain to this rep what was going on, i was finally routed to a manager, still in India? After another 40 minutes she told the same thing the first rep told me; that for whatever reason my the primary account number that was on military suspension was canceled and the phone number was released and given to another customer and that the only thing she could do was to activate a new line of service under military suspension with a NEW number......something i can do myself when i come back to the states to reactivate my remaining line of service.....so essentially after someone at ATT made a huge mistake with my account, they weren't going to do ANYTHING to solve the problem. Then when i told her that i wanted to cancel the remaining line of service off military suspension and get a refund for the $96.00 credit i had on the account, she tried to tell me that she couldn't give me my money because it was a credit adjustment and not an overpayment.....um i don't think so.....when i told her to look at ALL my account statements over 3+ years to see that i did in fact overpay the amount she decided that she could issue me a check afterall....interesting.....After hours of talking w/ customer service and getting zero help righting a wrong......UNACCEPTABLE ATT! It is really disappointing, until tonight i was ATT's biggest fan! I've been with every single carrier thus far and i was really happy with ATT but after all this, I will never recommend ATT again! What a complete let down. Way to support the troops....good riddance. Back to verizon....

[ Edited ]
10 of 17 (5,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 3:11:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
That's really to bad! I hope ATT looks at there policy and there call centers overseas.

11 of 17 (4,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 3:31:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

My son's line was given away too!  It was a headache and a half trying to get a military suspension on my son's line last November.  Then when he came home on leave in April, we found that his number was given away.  AT&T said they never received the deployment papers, which I faxed to the number as indicated.  I had a copy of the fax with the confirmation of delivery, but still they said I never faxed them.  Oddly, when I did a search on this AT&T website for information about military suspensions, it says: "To be eligible for either option your name must appear in the Department of Defense database as active military personnel. If it does not appear in the database, you must provide your military orders".  Well for one, my sons name IS in the DOD database.  I looked it up myself.   What a load of crap. 

We had to go and get him a new number while he was home on leave.  Now that he's back in Afghanistan, I need to call and have it re-suspended, but I don't want to lose his number again.   Ugh.  I really do not like dealing with AT&T.

Also, Its really sad that AT&T doesn't support the military and offer discounted rates for soldiers in the war zone, so that they can keep their phone on and keep in contact with their family.  Instead, they charge the highest rates possible and give a total run-around when you try to suspend the line.  It's terrible.

12 of 17 (4,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 9:52:58 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by benakbs on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:54:00 AM

What is going on with AT&T and the military???

My husband is active duty.  In the past, we have always suspended his line when he deploys.  We've been with AT&T for 11 years and this has NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM.

In September '12, he left for a 1 year deployment.  In October, I called to have his line put on military hold.  The representative I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem and his line would be suspended.  I asked if I needed to fax his orders as I had always done before.  He told me no, they no longer require orders.  I told him how relieved I was because it always made me nervous faxing his orders and not knowing whether the orders were approrpriately disposed of.

The next billing cycle, my bill was way more than I expected.  I looked into it and found a termination fee for his line.  I called AT&T, the representative apologized for the error, credited my account for the termination fee, and ASSURED ME that the line was on military hold and there wouldn't be a problem when we wanted to reinstate service.

In December, there was a chance my husband was coming home for a break.  I called AT&T to ensure that we could turn his line on for his brief visit, then put it back on hold for the remainder of his deployment.  Again, I was ASSURED that this wouldn't be a problem.  2 days later, I called back to have the line turned back on.  And guess what?  THE LINE HAD BEEN TERMINATED.  And, to make matters worse, the line had been terminated so long that they had given the number to someone else.  He had the same number for 11 years!!!  

So I start talking to representatives in the retention deparment trying to get the matter resolved.  I was very angry about the termination and the fact that I was told by THREE DIFFERENT representatives on THREE DIFFERENT phone calls that the line was on military hold.  How could so many people be so wrong?

We are grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan for our iPhones.  When I asked if he was going to have a problem getting his unlimited data plan back once he resumed service (yes, he was still considering staying with AT&T at this point), they told me NO.  Since AT&T cancelled his phone line, and it had been over a certain period of time, they said they couldn't reinstate the unlimited data.  Even though it was AT&Ts mistake.

So after all my calls and time, this is what AT&T offered as a resolution:  $30 off my bill for 6 months.

Maybe AT&T doesn't realize what a close community we are in the military and how word spreads?  Furthermore, it makes me suspicious that there's something more going on if we're not the only ones having issues with military suspensions.

[ Edited ]
13 of 17 (3,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 11:04:44 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm very sorry. 

As a former member of the Air Force and someone still very much involved with military life, I know personally how frustrating this is. When your loved one is deployed, you don't need anymore stress; deployment is enough. 

I am sorry this happened to your husband and I'd like to see if we can help make this better. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

14 of 17 (3,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2013 1:23:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Oh no, now I'm terrified about suspending my husband's phone number while he's deployed.  I'm so disappointed in AT&T and their lack of support for military members in the war zone.

I'm going to try and suspend his number anyway, and if they screw us too, we'll be forced to move our service to a competitor.  But crossing my fingers that they may have changed their policies by now and be a little bit supportive of military families, esp. those with a loved one in the war zone...

15 of 17 (2,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2013 1:30:02 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:40:45 PM

AT&T is proud to support members of the military and their families. As a former member of the Air Force, I have first hand knowledge of how important this kind of stuff is. 

As you can see from the above, I've been very active in this thread and will help you get this taken care of. 

I helped my ex take care of his phone when he deployed to Qatar just a couple months ago so we are very well versed in getting this done. 

If you're ready to start this process (meaning, you have a copy of his orders), please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

Also, here's a support article that explains the options available - http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=60168#fbid=Z6SDS7kpLnk 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (2,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 9:21:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just wanted to give an update from my experience with putting my deployed spouse's AT&T phone on hold while he was in Afghanistan & Pakistan.  It was a pain in the behind, but AT&T did eventually fix it when my spouse returned and called them himself.

AT&T make me go through quite a bit of hurdles - I called 3 times and each time got different instructions and assurances. The first customer service person made me fax in my husband's order and a form requesting the hold. I did that and still got the charges for his line on the next month's bill.  So I call customer service again, and this next person said that I shouldn't have had to fax in the information and that he had no idea where those forms went because there was no note of it on my account. Which really worried me because the orders have personal info on it!  Anyway, he said he would suspend my husband's line and refund the amount I was charged last month.  Then on the next month's bill, the charges are back on again.  I called again, and this customer service guy said he sees the note on my account regarding the suspension but doesn't understand why I'm being charged for the suspended number. So he said he would put another note on there and make sure it got suspended.  He also offered a refund of the overcharge.  Well, guess what the bill was the next month and months after until my husband returned??  Yes, we kept getting charged for my husband's line.  I was too annoyed and too busy/stressed to continue dealing with this (working full-time and taking care of a 3-year old), so my husband told me to just pay it and he'll deal with AT&T when he gets back.

So, when my husband came back, he called them and explained the situation, and within 1/2 hour got a refund of all the charges we'd been paying for his phone while he was away.  Although I was very  frustrated with AT&T during my husband's deployment - not like I didn't have enough to deal with already at the time, at least  AT&T made recompense for their mistakes.

17 of 17 (1,319 Views)