Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 16, 2014
2:05:39 AM
Microcell stopped working - Citizens Internet (Upstate NY)

I live in northern NY, remote location on the Canadian border.  I've been using the mcell for a year with no issues at all.

About two weeks ago my mcell stopped working, I received a text from at&t: "The registered address does not match the actual device location".  5 bars on mcell were flashing red.

I called AT&T and went through the usual trouble shooting, power down modem, router, mcell, etc.  Nothing we did resolved the problem, so AT&T sent a replacement mcell and this unit would not register ... Power and internet lights solid green, satellite and 5-bars flashing.  AT&T suggested that I change wiring to take Netgear router out of loop and the results were the same, top two lights solid green, no lock on satellites and 5-bars, computer light flickering.  At this point, at&t indicated that problem was most likely internet provider (Citizens) was blocking ports.

I've talked with Internet provider, as expected, they've said we've made no changes, it must be AT&T.

After reading the threads on the problems with Time Warner and Charter, my issue sound like the same problem.

I'm not a computer communications expert and I would appreciate any help from the folks on the board that could help me solve this issue.  I attempted to test the ports (4500, 123, 443, 500) using software from "yougetsignal" and "portforward", both indicated that these ports were not open.  I'm not sure if these tests are legitimate, but if accurate, this would seem to substantiate the issue is with my internet provider, right?

I'm waiting to hear back from the tier 2 support folks at Citizens, but I'm wondering what steps I might take in order to resolve this problem from my end?  I've read about port forwarding and setting a static IP address for the mcell, all Greek to me!  If there is something I can do with the setup on my router, I'm game.  Also, Zhone modem is provided by Citizens.

I've tried to provide a complete description of the issue, please let me know if there is any other information that I could provide to support the resolution of this issue.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Dave D.

I live in northern NY, remote location on the Canadian border.  I've been using the mcell for a year with no issues at all.

About two weeks ago my mcell stopped working, I received a text from at&t: "The registered address does not match the actual device location".  5 bars on mcell were flashing red.

I called AT&T and went through the usual trouble shooting, power down modem, router, mcell, etc.  Nothing we did resolved the problem, so AT&T sent a replacement mcell and this unit would not register ... Power and internet lights solid green, satellite and 5-bars flashing.  AT&T suggested that I change wiring to take Netgear router out of loop and the results were the same, top two lights solid green, no lock on satellites and 5-bars, computer light flickering.  At this point, at&t indicated that problem was most likely internet provider (Citizens) was blocking ports.

I've talked with Internet provider, as expected, they've said we've made no changes, it must be AT&T.

After reading the threads on the problems with Time Warner and Charter, my issue sound like the same problem.

I'm not a computer communications expert and I would appreciate any help from the folks on the board that could help me solve this issue.  I attempted to test the ports (4500, 123, 443, 500) using software from "yougetsignal" and "portforward", both indicated that these ports were not open.  I'm not sure if these tests are legitimate, but if accurate, this would seem to substantiate the issue is with my internet provider, right?

I'm waiting to hear back from the tier 2 support folks at Citizens, but I'm wondering what steps I might take in order to resolve this problem from my end?  I've read about port forwarding and setting a static IP address for the mcell, all Greek to me!  If there is something I can do with the setup on my router, I'm game.  Also, Zhone modem is provided by Citizens.

I've tried to provide a complete description of the issue, please let me know if there is any other information that I could provide to support the resolution of this issue.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Dave D.

Microcell stopped working - Citizens Internet (Upstate NY)

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 10:10:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm assuming you haven't changed anything like router settings.  The fact that your GPS light is flashing indicates that your Mcell can not lock onto enough GPS satellites to determine its location.  Is the Mcell in the same location as it was when it was working properly?  Have you tried to move it to a better location (ie. next to a window) so it can receive an adequate GPS signal?  The Mcell will not connect unless it has a GPS lock and will flash the 3G light (bars).

Setting a static IP address and port forwarding is easy to do on a Netgear router but before doing that, give us some feedback regarding my questions above.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

I'm assuming you haven't changed anything like router settings.  The fact that your GPS light is flashing indicates that your Mcell can not lock onto enough GPS satellites to determine its location.  Is the Mcell in the same location as it was when it was working properly?  Have you tried to move it to a better location (ie. next to a window) so it can receive an adequate GPS signal?  The Mcell will not connect unless it has a GPS lock and will flash the 3G light (bars).

Setting a static IP address and port forwarding is easy to do on a Netgear router but before doing that, give us some feedback regarding my questions above.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell stopped working - Citizens Internet (Upstate NY)

2 of 10 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 10:20:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your GPS light is flashing red it sounds like you've lost GPS lock, in which case, the 3G light will flash as well and you won't be able to register. However, with the ports indicating they are blocked when you test, that's another story. I'd have AT&T check your line connection (see if they can ping you), their locational database (maybe something got updated on their end munging your address), and have them check the ports. There could be a failed upstream switch between Citizens and AT&T in which case Citizens would have to locate and fix.

I'm assuming the rest of your internet is fine (speeds are ok) and you don't see any slowness in loading pages etc. What are your speeds and have you tested them as well? You might also want to test for latency and jitter. That can cause significant connection problems as well.

If your GPS light is flashing red it sounds like you've lost GPS lock, in which case, the 3G light will flash as well and you won't be able to register. However, with the ports indicating they are blocked when you test, that's another story. I'd have AT&T check your line connection (see if they can ping you), their locational database (maybe something got updated on their end munging your address), and have them check the ports. There could be a failed upstream switch between Citizens and AT&T in which case Citizens would have to locate and fix.

I'm assuming the rest of your internet is fine (speeds are ok) and you don't see any slowness in loading pages etc. What are your speeds and have you tested them as well? You might also want to test for latency and jitter. That can cause significant connection problems as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 12:11:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for responding ... I've not made any changes on my end, router has not been touched, nor has the location of the microcell.  When the problem first surfaced, it was just the 5-bars flashing red.  As at&t tried to trouble shoot the device, we ended up with the satellite icon flashing green and the 5-bars icon flashing green.  The replacement microcell ended up with the same flashing satellite and 5-bar icons.  Regarding the location of the microcell, I did end up placing the unit on the window sill from its original position, but no change as a result.

Regards, Dave D.

Thanks for responding ... I've not made any changes on my end, router has not been touched, nor has the location of the microcell.  When the problem first surfaced, it was just the 5-bars flashing red.  As at&t tried to trouble shoot the device, we ended up with the satellite icon flashing green and the 5-bars icon flashing green.  The replacement microcell ended up with the same flashing satellite and 5-bar icons.  Regarding the location of the microcell, I did end up placing the unit on the window sill from its original position, but no change as a result.

Regards, Dave D.

4 of 10 (1,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 12:16:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for responding Otto ... AT&T representative (Carriann) seemed fairly confident that the ports were being blocked by Citizens.  I have tested the internet speed as 5 Mb down and 1 Mb up, I'll figure out how to test latency and jitter and report back.

Thanks for responding Otto ... AT&T representative (Carriann) seemed fairly confident that the ports were being blocked by Citizens.  I have tested the internet speed as 5 Mb down and 1 Mb up, I'll figure out how to test latency and jitter and report back.

5 of 10 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 12:23:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just tested latency and jitter:

Latency - 119 ms

Jitter - 1 ms

I just tested latency and jitter:

Latency - 119 ms

Jitter - 1 ms

6 of 10 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 12:57:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Feb 16, 2014 at 12:58:44 PM

Ok. Your speeds are fine as long as they are consistently at your upper end. Latency could be your issue which is something only your ISP can correct. Keep in mind that your tests are only a snapshot at that point in time. To get a more accurate picture you need to monitor over a longer period of time to make sure you just didn't monitor at a time that was not typical.

You said you moved your MicroCell from its window position. Can you be more specific? Are you unable to acquire GPS lock from either window or did you just lose GPS once you moved it? Have you tried to position your MicroCell in relationship to the window where the side of the MicroCell is facing the window and not at a right angle to the window? Sometimes just a slight realignment of the top of the MicroCell (were the antennas are) is all that is needed to secure and lock onto the satellite(s). My MicroCell is aligned where the right side of the unit (if you are facing the front panel with the lights) is facing the window (about 9" from the window and about 3" above the window sill). The glass is double-paned UV treated and our roof is metal. But there is nothing obstructing the top of the MicroCell from the sky.

Ports being blocked as tested by AT&T is still an issue.

Ok. Your speeds are fine as long as they are consistently at your upper end. Latency could be your issue which is something only your ISP can correct. Keep in mind that your tests are only a snapshot at that point in time. To get a more accurate picture you need to monitor over a longer period of time to make sure you just didn't monitor at a time that was not typical.

You said you moved your MicroCell from its window position. Can you be more specific? Are you unable to acquire GPS lock from either window or did you just lose GPS once you moved it? Have you tried to position your MicroCell in relationship to the window where the side of the MicroCell is facing the window and not at a right angle to the window? Sometimes just a slight realignment of the top of the MicroCell (were the antennas are) is all that is needed to secure and lock onto the satellite(s). My MicroCell is aligned where the right side of the unit (if you are facing the front panel with the lights) is facing the window (about 9" from the window and about 3" above the window sill). The glass is double-paned UV treated and our roof is metal. But there is nothing obstructing the top of the MicroCell from the sky.

Ports being blocked as tested by AT&T is still an issue.

[ Edited ]
7 of 10 (1,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 3:55:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Otto,

Microcell was in the same position for the past year, only moved it once I was unable to get satellite lock.  As per your suggestion, I just moved it against window, above window sill and still no satellite lock.  At&T rep indicated without open ports, unit will not get satellite lock, true?

It would seem that the next logical step is to work with internet provider to get necessary ports opened ... Are there any other suggestions?

Regards, Dave D.

Otto,

Microcell was in the same position for the past year, only moved it once I was unable to get satellite lock.  As per your suggestion, I just moved it against window, above window sill and still no satellite lock.  At&T rep indicated without open ports, unit will not get satellite lock, true?

It would seem that the next logical step is to work with internet provider to get necessary ports opened ... Are there any other suggestions?

Regards, Dave D.

8 of 10 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 4:09:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes. You need to have those ports open so that AT&T can verify your physical address with the GPS coordinates. That's part of the Initial Activation process. The fact that it worked before without any changes on your end (MicroCell position, router configs, etc) points to two things, either your ISP borked something or the MicroCell has failed.

I would just put the MicroCell back where you initially had it (if you haven't done that already), check your cables for firmness of fit, condition, etc, make sure the ac adapter doesn't feel any hotter than the top of the MicroCell and then start working with your ISP.

Keep us informed.

Yes. You need to have those ports open so that AT&T can verify your physical address with the GPS coordinates. That's part of the Initial Activation process. The fact that it worked before without any changes on your end (MicroCell position, router configs, etc) points to two things, either your ISP borked something or the MicroCell has failed.

I would just put the MicroCell back where you initially had it (if you haven't done that already), check your cables for firmness of fit, condition, etc, make sure the ac adapter doesn't feel any hotter than the top of the MicroCell and then start working with your ISP.

Keep us informed.

9 of 10 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 4:40:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Feb 16, 2014 at 4:45:24 PM

Web-based port checkers are pretty much a waste of effort.  They do not reliably determine if a port is open or closed, especially behind a router.  I can run Yougetsignal.com on the Mcell ports that are to be open and it says they are all closed, yet I have no problem with my Mcell.

You might try bypassing your router and connecting your computer directly to your modem and try running the tests again, but I'd still question the results.

The AT&T rep is totally misinformed if he says that without open ports, the Mcell will not get a GPS lock.  I can disconnect the Ethernet cable from my Mcell, power cycle it and it will still lock onto the GPS satellites and give me a solid green GPS light.  The 3G light will continue to flash green meaning it is not connected to the internet and therefore can't verify your address with the GPS coordinates and of course the Ethernet light is not on.

It's best to work with your ISP to nail down this port issue (if there is one).  AT&T isn't capable of determining the status of ports on an ISP.  All they can see is what the Mcell is telling them.  For them to draw a conclusion that the ports are closed is premature.

Web-based port checkers are pretty much a waste of effort.  They do not reliably determine if a port is open or closed, especially behind a router.  I can run Yougetsignal.com on the Mcell ports that are to be open and it says they are all closed, yet I have no problem with my Mcell.

You might try bypassing your router and connecting your computer directly to your modem and try running the tests again, but I'd still question the results.

The AT&T rep is totally misinformed if he says that without open ports, the Mcell will not get a GPS lock.  I can disconnect the Ethernet cable from my Mcell, power cycle it and it will still lock onto the GPS satellites and give me a solid green GPS light.  The 3G light will continue to flash green meaning it is not connected to the internet and therefore can't verify your address with the GPS coordinates and of course the Ethernet light is not on.

It's best to work with your ISP to nail down this port issue (if there is one).  AT&T isn't capable of determining the status of ports on an ISP.  All they can see is what the Mcell is telling them.  For them to draw a conclusion that the ports are closed is premature.

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (1,233 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments