Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 16, 2014
3:10:42 PM
View profile
Microcell is connected but won't place calls
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 16, 2014 at 5:09:50 PM

So this very same thing seems to be happening in Virginia Beach, at least its happening to me. I trouble sot with AT&T support, they finally opened a support incident, I was supposed to be contacted by the 12th, noting. I called back on the 13th and asked what gives, they said they would be contacting me the next day, or the day after. Nothing. Very frustreaed with the lack of communication.

So this very same thing seems to be happening in Virginia Beach, at least its happening to me. I trouble sot with AT&T support, they finally opened a support incident, I was supposed to be contacted by the 12th, noting. I called back on the 13th and asked what gives, they said they would be contacting me the next day, or the day after. Nothing. Very frustreaed with the lack of communication.

Microcell is connected but won't place calls

[ Edited ]
23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 3:34:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. We need to start from the beginning with a few questions.

What exactly is the problem?

How do your have your MicroCell setup?

Who is your service provider and what kind of service?

What kind of phone do you have?

What does the light pattern on the MicroCell look like?

Was the MicroCell purchased from AT&T or did you buy it second hand?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot?

Answer those and we'll take it from there. Also, you might want to check out my Guide (link in my sig) to see if there is anything there that will help you.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Ok. We need to start from the beginning with a few questions.

Answer those and we'll take it from there. Also, you might want to check out my Guide (link in my sig) to see if there is anything there that will help you.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell is connected but won't place calls

2 of 24 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 4:49:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Otto - This is why there needs to be a sticky for people to read informing them before they post as to what information needs to be provided so we can help.  That way you don't have to ask the same questions over and over again.

@ Otto - This is why there needs to be a sticky for people to read informing them before they post as to what information needs to be provided so we can help.  That way you don't have to ask the same questions over and over again.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 24 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 5:20:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by buskeyl on Feb 16, 2014 at 5:24:26 PM

Same as everyone else on this thread. Lights are good but no calls go through, no calls get in.

A network device on my switch

Verizon FIOS

Iphone 5s, Iphone 4s, and a 3g messaging phone.  all have the issue. 

Four solid green lights..

Purchased, and replaced as part of troubleshooting.  No joy..

Reset ActionTec to factory, reset the MC, put the MC in the DMZ, replaced the MC.. Plus all the stuff Tech Support required before she could open a ticket they could ignore..

Same as everyone else on this thread. Lights are good but no calls go through, no calls get in.

A network device on my switch

Verizon FIOS

Iphone 5s, Iphone 4s, and a 3g messaging phone.  all have the issue. 

Four solid green lights..

Purchased, and replaced as part of troubleshooting.  No joy..

Reset ActionTec to factory, reset the MC, put the MC in the DMZ, replaced the MC.. Plus all the stuff Tech Support required before she could open a ticket they could ignore..

[ Edited ]
4 of 24 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 9:36:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Four solid green lights. I'm assuming that means Power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G. If that's the case then your are registered and connected to the AT&T servers, or at least that's what it indicates.

The network switch, do you mean a router or something like a gigabit switch.

Did your MicroCell ever work with any of the phones?

Have you tried to reset the network settings on your phones?

Four solid green lights. I'm assuming that means Power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G. If that's the case then your are registered and connected to the AT&T servers, or at least that's what it indicates.

The network switch, do you mean a router or something like a gigabit switch.

Did your MicroCell ever work with any of the phones?

Have you tried to reset the network settings on your phones?

5 of 24 (1,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 9:37:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 wrote:

I've thought about it but most people don't pay attention to the stickies Smiley Sad

Avedis53 wrote:

I've thought about it but most people don't pay attention to the stickies Smiley Sad

6 of 24 (1,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 10:20:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Otto - Next best thing...create a questionaire in Notepad asking all the basic questions and save it.  When someone posts "My Microcell doesn't work, how do I fix it?", copy and paste the questionaire into the post and save yourself from typing the same old questions over and over again.  Just a thought....

@ Otto - Next best thing...create a questionaire in Notepad asking all the basic questions and save it.  When someone posts "My Microcell doesn't work, how do I fix it?", copy and paste the questionaire into the post and save yourself from typing the same old questions over and over again.  Just a thought....

7 of 24 (1,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 11:26:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not a bad idea. I'll work on it.

Not a bad idea. I'll work on it.

8 of 24 (1,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 12:26:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

To the OP:

What kind of Ethernet switch is?  Is it a "cut through" switch or a "store and forward" switch?

Given the finicky nature of a Mcell, I wouldn't think it would like sending packets through a switch.  Did your Mcell ever work?  If it hasn't, I'd move the Mcell off the switch and and connect it to your router/gateway.

To the OP:

What kind of Ethernet switch is?  Is it a "cut through" switch or a "store and forward" switch?

Given the finicky nature of a Mcell, I wouldn't think it would like sending packets through a switch.  Did your Mcell ever work?  If it hasn't, I'd move the Mcell off the switch and and connect it to your router/gateway.

9 of 24 (1,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 12:38:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Avedis53- posted an answer to the SIP ALG question in the other thread.

@Avedis53- posted an answer to the SIP ALG question in the other thread.

10 of 24 (1,335 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 6:47:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry, I have been away.. To try to answer all the questions...

Yes the Microcell worked fine in this exact configuration for several years.  Switched to FIOS, and it worked for a few weeks, then just quit.  

The switch is a NetGear 24 port managed gigabiit switch.  However, as part of the endless things we did to trouble shoot, we have placed the MicroCell right on the ActionTEC, no change. 

Yes I have reset the network setting on my phone, ad both my son;'s phone.  No change..

I have had Urgent Care on the line, they sday they can see the MC, and it shows that it is working fine, and all the required ports are open.   However the device will not place calls, or allow calls in.. 

They stopped retuning my calls last weekend.. 

Sorry, I have been away.. To try to answer all the questions...

Yes the Microcell worked fine in this exact configuration for several years.  Switched to FIOS, and it worked for a few weeks, then just quit.  

The switch is a NetGear 24 port managed gigabiit switch.  However, as part of the endless things we did to trouble shoot, we have placed the MicroCell right on the ActionTEC, no change. 

Yes I have reset the network setting on my phone, ad both my son;'s phone.  No change..

I have had Urgent Care on the line, they sday they can see the MC, and it shows that it is working fine, and all the required ports are open.   However the device will not place calls, or allow calls in.. 

They stopped retuning my calls last weekend.. 

11 of 24 (874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 9:52:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. You have FiOS so I'm assuming that's Verizon. Who did you have before?

Ok. You have FiOS so I'm assuming that's Verizon. Who did you have before?

12 of 24 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 12:27:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had Cox communications before.  But as I mentioned, it was working fine on FIOS for several weeks.  The FIOS people are completely incapable of helping me.   I am genuinely amazed at the limits that have been placed on them.  They literally try to hand you off to an additional for pay service as soon as you start talking about opening ports.  They are literally trained to ask if you can browse the web, and if the answer is yes, then their service is working 5x5.   However, as I mentioned earlier, the AT&T people say they can see the Microcell on the network, and can see that ports are open.   I tried chatting with ActionTec support, and all they had me do was put the thing in the DMZ (Which was step 2 before I called anyone for help) and that made no difference. 

I had Cox communications before.  But as I mentioned, it was working fine on FIOS for several weeks.  The FIOS people are completely incapable of helping me.   I am genuinely amazed at the limits that have been placed on them.  They literally try to hand you off to an additional for pay service as soon as you start talking about opening ports.  They are literally trained to ask if you can browse the web, and if the answer is yes, then their service is working 5x5.   However, as I mentioned earlier, the AT&T people say they can see the Microcell on the network, and can see that ports are open.   I tried chatting with ActionTec support, and all they had me do was put the thing in the DMZ (Which was step 2 before I called anyone for help) and that made no difference. 

13 of 24 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 12:31:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by buskeyl on Mar 8, 2014 at 12:34:19 PM

What I was hoping for, was someone at AT&T could look at the log files, or enable a diagnostic mode, and immediately pinpoint why the calls drop. I mean the phone shows it's connected to the MicroCell, and then the phone reports the call failed whenever I try to place a call (or anyone else whose phone is connected to the MCell.  So it seems reasonable to say that there is something going wrong with the Microcell, I just need them to tell me what it is. Then I can either fix it if it's in my power, or tell Verizon what they need to fix, since Verizon Tech support is clueless and refuse to troubleshoot anything, 

What I was hoping for, was someone at AT&T could look at the log files, or enable a diagnostic mode, and immediately pinpoint why the calls drop. I mean the phone shows it's connected to the MicroCell, and then the phone reports the call failed whenever I try to place a call (or anyone else whose phone is connected to the MCell.  So it seems reasonable to say that there is something going wrong with the Microcell, I just need them to tell me what it is. Then I can either fix it if it's in my power, or tell Verizon what they need to fix, since Verizon Tech support is clueless and refuse to troubleshoot anything, 

[ Edited ]
14 of 24 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 12:51:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's not necessarily a MicroCell problem. If all of the lights are solid green (power, ethernet, GPS, 3G), AT&T can see the MicroCell, the necessary ports are open, and your phone displays M-Cell (or something like that), then the MicroCell is working. The only thing you can do at this point in time is try a hard reset and/or reset network settings on your phone. If you are able to activate (solid green 3G light), your phone displays M-Cell, and still can't make a call, it's probably Verizon, in which case your out of luck.

Verizon is notorious for blocking another service provider's access to their network because Verizon wants you to use their products, not a competitor's (especially AT&T).  All indications are that you have a connection to the AT&T servers, but once you attempt to place a VoIP call, it doesn't go thru. That, more than likely, is Verizon blocking your call. Verizon will of course deny it and will not help you with the MicroCell because it's not their product. AT&T can't help you because they can't tell Verizon how to run their network. And you, as the customer, gets caught in the middle. Remember, Verizon is who started the whole net neutrality thing and won. So they can do what ever they want to do.

See if the hard reset/phone reset works. It is possible that the MicroCell is defective but I doubt that you would be able to connect or one of the lights would be blinking red or a solid red.

It's not necessarily a MicroCell problem. If all of the lights are solid green (power, ethernet, GPS, 3G), AT&T can see the MicroCell, the necessary ports are open, and your phone displays M-Cell (or something like that), then the MicroCell is working. The only thing you can do at this point in time is try a hard reset and/or reset network settings on your phone. If you are able to activate (solid green 3G light), your phone displays M-Cell, and still can't make a call, it's probably Verizon, in which case your out of luck.

Verizon is notorious for blocking another service provider's access to their network because Verizon wants you to use their products, not a competitor's (especially AT&T).  All indications are that you have a connection to the AT&T servers, but once you attempt to place a VoIP call, it doesn't go thru. That, more than likely, is Verizon blocking your call. Verizon will of course deny it and will not help you with the MicroCell because it's not their product. AT&T can't help you because they can't tell Verizon how to run their network. And you, as the customer, gets caught in the middle. Remember, Verizon is who started the whole net neutrality thing and won. So they can do what ever they want to do.

See if the hard reset/phone reset works. It is possible that the MicroCell is defective but I doubt that you would be able to connect or one of the lights would be blinking red or a solid red.

15 of 24 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 1:53:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

They have replaced the Microcell three times.  It's not the MicroCell.  I suppose I could cancel my service with Verizon, but I have already ripped out all my Cox gear, and let Verizon install all their stuff in and on my house, seems stupid to let all that go just for a stupid port blocking issue.  I don't pay them for filtered Internet, I pay them for open Internet access.   What can I do?   If I coud get evidence of the connection failing, that would be one thing.   But all I can do is say calls are blocked..

What I haven't seen anywhere in the ActionTec router is where to enable IPSEC passthru.  I found where on my version of the router, they have actually willfully gone in and removed the link to disable UPNP, so the everage user cannot disable iot.  In the IT security circles I run in, this is borderline criminally negligible.  It can be turned off, but you need to know the URL for the setting in the router, and Tech support will not help you turn it off.  So I am wondering if there is a setting I need to change, but cannot see.. 

They have replaced the Microcell three times.  It's not the MicroCell.  I suppose I could cancel my service with Verizon, but I have already ripped out all my Cox gear, and let Verizon install all their stuff in and on my house, seems stupid to let all that go just for a stupid port blocking issue.  I don't pay them for filtered Internet, I pay them for open Internet access.   What can I do?   If I coud get evidence of the connection failing, that would be one thing.   But all I can do is say calls are blocked..

What I haven't seen anywhere in the ActionTec router is where to enable IPSEC passthru.  I found where on my version of the router, they have actually willfully gone in and removed the link to disable UPNP, so the everage user cannot disable iot.  In the IT security circles I run in, this is borderline criminally negligible.  It can be turned off, but you need to know the URL for the setting in the router, and Tech support will not help you turn it off.  So I am wondering if there is a setting I need to change, but cannot see.. 

16 of 24 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 2:18:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

So I just called ActinTec, and they tell me that the MI424WR router does not support IPSEC passthru.   Is that possible?  

So I just called ActinTec, and they tell me that the MI424WR router does not support IPSEC passthru.   Is that possible?  

17 of 24 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 2:27:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That I can't help you with. The MicroCell has certain criteria that has to be met, besides the open ports, for it to work. All of this is covered in my Guide (link in my sig).

DHCP enabled

IPSec Passthrouth enabled

Block Fragmented Packets disabled

MTU of 1492 (which should be default)

Only one device performing NAT duties

Also, because this is a VoIP service, you really need to have a clean line. Again see my Guide for VoIP basics. For most ISPs this isn't an issue, or an issue that can be easily remedied. But Verizon has been, and will continue to exercise control over its network however it sees fit. I'm not saying that this is 100% Verizon but there is a track record of Verizon doing this very thing. Hobbling or killing altogether a competitor's service on their network. Even if you could get proof that the calls are being blocked, Verizon won't do anything about it. They don't have to. And to make matters worse, Verizon doesn't do this for all of their service areas, at least not yet.

Open internet access is going to a thing of the past thanks to Verizon and other networks. Think about the Comcast/TWC merger. Fortuantely, my ISP is independent so outrageous costs, caps, throttling, etc. doesn't happen. How much longer they can stay independent is hard to say though.

That I can't help you with. The MicroCell has certain criteria that has to be met, besides the open ports, for it to work. All of this is covered in my Guide (link in my sig).

DHCP enabled

IPSec Passthrouth enabled

Block Fragmented Packets disabled

MTU of 1492 (which should be default)

Only one device performing NAT duties

Also, because this is a VoIP service, you really need to have a clean line. Again see my Guide for VoIP basics. For most ISPs this isn't an issue, or an issue that can be easily remedied. But Verizon has been, and will continue to exercise control over its network however it sees fit. I'm not saying that this is 100% Verizon but there is a track record of Verizon doing this very thing. Hobbling or killing altogether a competitor's service on their network. Even if you could get proof that the calls are being blocked, Verizon won't do anything about it. They don't have to. And to make matters worse, Verizon doesn't do this for all of their service areas, at least not yet.

Open internet access is going to a thing of the past thanks to Verizon and other networks. Think about the Comcast/TWC merger. Fortuantely, my ISP is independent so outrageous costs, caps, throttling, etc. doesn't happen. How much longer they can stay independent is hard to say though.

18 of 24 (821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 5:19:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Since there is a fairly large number of people who depend exclusively on cellphones and are in marginal reception areas, there is a lucrative market for femtocells that is not going to go away.  I think where this is all headed is each ISP is going to offer a product, be it a femtocell or a system that will allow you to route cellphone calls via WiFi.  They will block any third party femtocells (Microcell, et. al.) or similiar products so you will have to subscribe to their service.

I know it's coming.....net neutrality is dead......

Since there is a fairly large number of people who depend exclusively on cellphones and are in marginal reception areas, there is a lucrative market for femtocells that is not going to go away.  I think where this is all headed is each ISP is going to offer a product, be it a femtocell or a system that will allow you to route cellphone calls via WiFi.  They will block any third party femtocells (Microcell, et. al.) or similiar products so you will have to subscribe to their service.

I know it's coming.....net neutrality is dead......

19 of 24 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 5:30:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yep. The future is coming and it's not pretty Smiley Sad

Yep. The future is coming and it's not pretty Smiley Sad

20 of 24 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 6:42:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by buskeyl on Mar 9, 2014 at 6:55:27 AM

So the problem is resolved, and it boils down to a lack of Verizon customer service to me.   EVERY time I tried to reach to them for some kind of support, they just stated their network was working fine, and this was third party support, it coudlnt be them..  ActionTec is also guilty, claiming that because the link for IPSEC passthru was not in the menu, it was not supported...

So, I spent the evening trying to configure the ActionTec as a MoCHA bridge, and putting my router in it's place, hoping to see if the ActonTec lack of Tech was the problem.  There are a number of documents out there on how to do it, but of course, Verizon doesnt support it.  in my case however, my router would not ever get the WAN IP address from the ONT module outside.  I finally gave up, reset the ActionTec to factory defaults (which I had done several times while troubleshooting the MicroCell). This time however, the ONT would not give an address to the ActionTec either. 

So I had to call the Verizon support people (always a joy) who had me shut off the ActonTec, then they did something on their end to, in their words, "give you a new IP address".  Powered ip the ActionTec again, this time it got an IP address form the ONT and I was back to the standard configuration which was not working with the MicroCell.  Guess what?  Now the Microcell works.   So it was never the MicroCell, it was never the ActionTec, it was something upstream from me..  Which I had suspected all along, and had called Verizon support no less then three times asking them to PLEASE escalate the issue, I even had them transfer me to the customer retention people, telling them I was going to cancel my service..  No help, no knowledge base articles, no "Hey, lets reset your IP and see if that helps.. "   They actually tole me at one point,  This is an ISP mind you, that doing any port opening or closing in the router was outside of their service agreement... Un freaking believable..  

I am sure I am the first one on the planet to have this problem....  Ever... I have been trying to get this resolved for over a month..

I read your doc earlier during my troubleshooting.   Nice, thanks for making it. 

For the record, the ActionTec is set with a standard 1500 MTU and this is working fine.      

So the problem is resolved, and it boils down to a lack of Verizon customer service to me.   EVERY time I tried to reach to them for some kind of support, they just stated their network was working fine, and this was third party support, it coudlnt be them..  ActionTec is also guilty, claiming that because the link for IPSEC passthru was not in the menu, it was not supported...

So, I spent the evening trying to configure the ActionTec as a MoCHA bridge, and putting my router in it's place, hoping to see if the ActonTec lack of Tech was the problem.  There are a number of documents out there on how to do it, but of course, Verizon doesnt support it.  in my case however, my router would not ever get the WAN IP address from the ONT module outside.  I finally gave up, reset the ActionTec to factory defaults (which I had done several times while troubleshooting the MicroCell). This time however, the ONT would not give an address to the ActionTec either. 

So I had to call the Verizon support people (always a joy) who had me shut off the ActonTec, then they did something on their end to, in their words, "give you a new IP address".  Powered ip the ActionTec again, this time it got an IP address form the ONT and I was back to the standard configuration which was not working with the MicroCell.  Guess what?  Now the Microcell works.   So it was never the MicroCell, it was never the ActionTec, it was something upstream from me..  Which I had suspected all along, and had called Verizon support no less then three times asking them to PLEASE escalate the issue, I even had them transfer me to the customer retention people, telling them I was going to cancel my service..  No help, no knowledge base articles, no "Hey, lets reset your IP and see if that helps.. "   They actually tole me at one point,  This is an ISP mind you, that doing any port opening or closing in the router was outside of their service agreement... Un freaking believable..  

I am sure I am the first one on the planet to have this problem....  Ever... I have been trying to get this resolved for over a month..

I read your doc earlier during my troubleshooting.   Nice, thanks for making it. 

For the record, the ActionTec is set with a standard 1500 MTU and this is working fine.      

[ Edited ]
21 of 24 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 9:42:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for reporting back. 1492 is usually the default for MTU but 1500 will work, most of the time, as well. Verizon gets away with this stuff by claiming they do it for security reasons. You're lucky they fixed it. Most of the time they'll just blow the customer off saying it's not their problem and if you don't like it, find another provider. Don't be surprised if your MicroCell fails again in the future. Any change on their end (and they will make changes) will disable your connection.

Thanks for reporting back. 1492 is usually the default for MTU but 1500 will work, most of the time, as well. Verizon gets away with this stuff by claiming they do it for security reasons. You're lucky they fixed it. Most of the time they'll just blow the customer off saying it's not their problem and if you don't like it, find another provider. Don't be surprised if your MicroCell fails again in the future. Any change on their end (and they will make changes) will disable your connection.

22 of 24 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 10:33:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

As long as your MTU default is greater than 1492, that shouldn't cause a problem.  If the default MTU were less than 1492, packet fragmentation can occur and cause packet loss which will adversely affect your Mcell.

As long as your MTU default is greater than 1492, that shouldn't cause a problem.  If the default MTU were less than 1492, packet fragmentation can occur and cause packet loss which will adversely affect your Mcell.

23 of 24 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 10:57:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yep. This is Verizon though so who knows what they will do in the future. Thanks for stopping by today. The help is appreciated.

Yep. This is Verizon though so who knows what they will do in the future. Thanks for stopping by today. The help is appreciated.

24 of 24 (755 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments