Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 27, 2014
2:31:51 PM
View profile
Microcell activation

So att has had a microcell activation server outage since 2/25 and its still not fixed.  Does ATT employ engineers that are stupid or is there a bigger problem at hand.  It helps to inform the customer that there is a problem.  You have a web interface for the microcell why not a little post saying we are having activation server issues.

So att has had a microcell activation server outage since 2/25 and its still not fixed.  Does ATT employ engineers that are stupid or is there a bigger problem at hand.  It helps to inform the customer that there is a problem.  You have a web interface for the microcell why not a little post saying we are having activation server issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Microcell activation

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 3:05:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:16:05 PM

No reason to be rude. I haven't heard of an activation server problem so I'll ask around. How do you know the server is down? Did support tell you? I do agree that it would be nice to have a Status option on either the MicroCell Forum page or possibly on the Web Activation Page but that is really more difficult than it seems.

Ok, just heard back from AT&T and they don't see anything wrong with the servers or any other complaints about activation failing around the time you mentioned. So...

What is your setup? Is this a new MicroCell? Who is your ISP?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

No reason to be rude. I haven't heard of an activation server problem so I'll ask around. How do you know the server is down? Did support tell you? I do agree that it would be nice to have a Status option on either the MicroCell Forum page or possibly on the Web Activation Page but that is really more difficult than it seems.

Ok, just heard back from AT&T and they don't see anything wrong with the servers or any other complaints about activation failing around the time you mentioned. So...

What is your setup? Is this a new MicroCell? Who is your ISP?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell activation

[ Edited ]
2 of 22 (4,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 9:16:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Hi, I just received my Mcell day before yesterday, 2/25 activated and connected to my LG nitro just fine, but lasted only about 10 min,, lol,,

It is activated and confirmed activated... That issue was to be solved today 2/27... I have been incontact with ATT over the mcell for 3 days...

Note even with an issue I am able to have all green lights ( except computer, direct wired to 3800 gateway router/ modem combo..

I have a tech case number,, took a while, but AT&T have to troubleshoot and verify all troubleshooting to allow them to issue a case#...

This is VoiP basically.... many a good man have failed and succeeded... to fight another day...
All in good time, they do try to fix asap, never have I had any reason to disrespect ATT employee's and tech support...

Hi, I just received my Mcell day before yesterday, 2/25 activated and connected to my LG nitro just fine, but lasted only about 10 min,, lol,,

It is activated and confirmed activated... That issue was to be solved today 2/27... I have been incontact with ATT over the mcell for 3 days...

Note even with an issue I am able to have all green lights ( except computer, direct wired to 3800 gateway router/ modem combo..

I have a tech case number,, took a while, but AT&T have to troubleshoot and verify all troubleshooting to allow them to issue a case#...

This is VoiP basically.... many a good man have failed and succeeded... to fight another day...
All in good time, they do try to fix asap, never have I had any reason to disrespect ATT employee's and tech support...

3 of 22 (4,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 9:31:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No its not VOIP it a femtocell.  your still charged for the calls that go thru the microcell along with texts and data.

As for my calling the engineer stupid.  It should not take a billion dollar company 3 days to fix a problem.  And then miss the ETR on top of it.  Sorry but ATT does have some of the worst customer experiences on the planet.

No its not VOIP it a femtocell.  your still charged for the calls that go thru the microcell along with texts and data.

As for my calling the engineer stupid.  It should not take a billion dollar company 3 days to fix a problem.  And then miss the ETR on top of it.  Sorry but ATT does have some of the worst customer experiences on the planet.

4 of 22 (4,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 9:41:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your MicroCell activated ok (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G light all solid green) then there shouldn't be a problem. Not all phones play nice with the MicroCell so we'll need a little more information. Do all the lights stay green even if when you lose connectivity? Who is your ISP and where are you located?

VoIP works just fine for most of us so we need to look at your connection and see if there is something that is amiss.

If your MicroCell activated ok (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G light all solid green) then there shouldn't be a problem. Not all phones play nice with the MicroCell so we'll need a little more information. Do all the lights stay green even if when you lose connectivity? Who is your ISP and where are you located?

VoIP works just fine for most of us so we need to look at your connection and see if there is something that is amiss.

5 of 22 (4,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 11:16:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My connection is an oc48 direct fiber line.  I ping att.com and 6ms.  My problem is I have solid GPS light but the 3g light just flashes.  I have been told its a server issue by 6 reps.  If I click on add a location on the website it says in red we have a problem!  I can't even see the numbers allowed to get to the microcell that errors out as well.  The reps get the same errors

My connection is an oc48 direct fiber line.  I ping att.com and 6ms.  My problem is I have solid GPS light but the 3g light just flashes.  I have been told its a server issue by 6 reps.  If I click on add a location on the website it says in red we have a problem!  I can't even see the numbers allowed to get to the microcell that errors out as well.  The reps get the same errors

6 of 22 (4,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 4:26:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

So CLIMMERMAN76,,, your telling me I spent since that date of 2/25, trying to get this MicroCell to work was completely unwarranted ??? The server is the issue,,, and I go through all the troubleshooting for nothing ??? LOL,,, WOW,,,
I spent about 10+ hrs reading and looking for a solution on this forum and search engines... about 30+ hours on the phone and chat to tech's... in 3 days...
They really should have stated they are having server issues and will email alert me when the server fix applied and complete. Then if troublshooting the normal issues is needed, could be a vaild fix and end solution..
I guess, if tech's were informed to not try the system, errors would not be generated and a path to fix would have less average... Need to have the data during and after applied fix to test,,, Look at Win OS,, lol...
Come on AT&T   I'm conting on you !!!  

So CLIMMERMAN76,,, your telling me I spent since that date of 2/25, trying to get this MicroCell to work was completely unwarranted ??? The server is the issue,,, and I go through all the troubleshooting for nothing ??? LOL,,, WOW,,,
I spent about 10+ hrs reading and looking for a solution on this forum and search engines... about 30+ hours on the phone and chat to tech's... in 3 days...
They really should have stated they are having server issues and will email alert me when the server fix applied and complete. Then if troublshooting the normal issues is needed, could be a vaild fix and end solution..
I guess, if tech's were informed to not try the system, errors would not be generated and a path to fix would have less average... Need to have the data during and after applied fix to test,,, Look at Win OS,, lol...
Come on AT&T   I'm conting on you !!!  

7 of 22 (4,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:03:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

The MicroCell is definitely a VoIP service which uses femtocell technology to make calls. If you use your cell phone to transfer data that counts against your mobile data plan. Most people leave WiFi on so that when they are in range of their MicroCell, only voice calls are transferred thru the MicroCell, all data goes thru your WiFi.

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

The MicroCell is definitely a VoIP service which uses femtocell technology to make calls. If you use your cell phone to transfer data that counts against your mobile data plan. Most people leave WiFi on so that when they are in range of their MicroCell, only voice calls are transferred thru the MicroCell, all data goes thru your WiFi.

8 of 22 (4,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:09:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The Rocker wrote:

I'll check again of the server issue but last I heard, there wasn't a problem. But, if there is a notice on the Activation Page, that's another issue altogether.

Quite often (unfortunately) phone support is the last to know if there are any technical issues with the system. They have to go thru the troubleshooting scripts for documentation purposes before they can genertate a trouble ticket and start the move (slowly) thru the system. A quicker way is to pm CustomerCare (link in my sig) detaling your problems, what you have done to correct it, account information, and location. The location is important because sometimes the issues are localized and not global, so the more complaints they get from a particular region it makes it easier for the engineers to troubleshoot.

A robo-email would be nice when issues arise but given the number of MicroCell users out there, and the fact that the issues are rarely global, it's really impractical. Individual emails aren't gonna happen unless you're working with a specifc support individual (CustomerCare).

The Rocker wrote:

I'll check again of the server issue but last I heard, there wasn't a problem. But, if there is a notice on the Activation Page, that's another issue altogether.

Quite often (unfortunately) phone support is the last to know if there are any technical issues with the system. They have to go thru the troubleshooting scripts for documentation purposes before they can genertate a trouble ticket and start the move (slowly) thru the system. A quicker way is to pm CustomerCare (link in my sig) detaling your problems, what you have done to correct it, account information, and location. The location is important because sometimes the issues are localized and not global, so the more complaints they get from a particular region it makes it easier for the engineers to troubleshoot.

A robo-email would be nice when issues arise but given the number of MicroCell users out there, and the fact that the issues are rarely global, it's really impractical. Individual emails aren't gonna happen unless you're working with a specifc support individual (CustomerCare).

9 of 22 (4,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:51:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If a micocell is VoIP then Mobile carriers use TCP/IP backhauls, so if this is VoIP, then

essentially all mobile calls are VoIP, making the term meaningless.  To me the microcell is not a VOIP product as its still a cell base station granted it only covers 40feet but still a base station or tower

If a micocell is VoIP then Mobile carriers use TCP/IP backhauls, so if this is VoIP, then

essentially all mobile calls are VoIP, making the term meaningless.  To me the microcell is not a VOIP product as its still a cell base station granted it only covers 40feet but still a base station or tower

10 of 22 (4,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:01:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The MicroCell is a VoIP device. Yes, it is a femtocell in that it acts as a small, personal sending/receiving station for your cell phone, much like a macrocell (tower), but it uses your physical internet connection to transfer those calls to the AT&T mobile servers. Without going into the details here I'd suggest you read the VoIP section in my Guide.

The MicroCell is a VoIP device. Yes, it is a femtocell in that it acts as a small, personal sending/receiving station for your cell phone, much like a macrocell (tower), but it uses your physical internet connection to transfer those calls to the AT&T mobile servers. Without going into the details here I'd suggest you read the VoIP section in my Guide.

11 of 22 (4,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:04:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

then that makes all calls made on the cell network VOIP.  Because most towers run calls over fiber connections

then that makes all calls made on the cell network VOIP.  Because most towers run calls over fiber connections

12 of 22 (4,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:10:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can argue semantics all you want to but AT&T considers calls placed via the MicroCell using a direct, physical internet connection to AT&Tmobile servers a VoIP call. Calls made without the use of a physical connection to the interent are considered cellular.

You can argue semantics all you want to but AT&T considers calls placed via the MicroCell using a direct, physical internet connection to AT&Tmobile servers a VoIP call. Calls made without the use of a physical connection to the interent are considered cellular.

13 of 22 (4,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:11:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
nice guide. you might want to update what bands att uses for LTE in it tho. My area is Band 5 850mhz...
nice guide. you might want to update what bands att uses for LTE in it tho. My area is Band 5 850mhz...

14 of 22 (4,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:13:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wont matter once ATT deploys VoLTE will it.  I have seen what the call quality is on Verizon so im intersted in this.

wont matter once ATT deploys VoLTE will it.  I have seen what the call quality is on Verizon so im intersted in this.

15 of 22 (4,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:35:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:36:38 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately VoLTE won't work with the MicroCell. The frequency listed in the Guide is an example because frequency allocations will change from service area to service area.

Thanks. Unfortunately VoLTE won't work with the MicroCell. The frequency listed in the Guide is an example because frequency allocations will change from service area to service area.

[ Edited ]
16 of 22 (4,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:40:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
yeah this area is refarmed 850mhz for band 5 lte. And its does make me wounder if thats why my microcell wont activate.
yeah this area is refarmed 850mhz for band 5 lte. And its does make me wounder if thats why my microcell wont activate.

17 of 22 (4,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:44:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

In theory, your phone should retrain (for want of a better word) to the MicroCell's 3G signal once it is in range of the MicroCell because that should be the dominant signal in your house, provided the MicroCell is setup correctly, the phone is playing nice with the MicroCell, and your ISP isn't doing something odd on their end with ports or line quality. My phone is on 4G/LTE all of the time but once I walk into my house, the phone indicates ATT M-Cell. Sometime it indicats M-Cell 4G but it's still only connecting at 3G protocols.

In theory, your phone should retrain (for want of a better word) to the MicroCell's 3G signal once it is in range of the MicroCell because that should be the dominant signal in your house, provided the MicroCell is setup correctly, the phone is playing nice with the MicroCell, and your ISP isn't doing something odd on their end with ports or line quality. My phone is on 4G/LTE all of the time but once I walk into my house, the phone indicates ATT M-Cell. Sometime it indicats M-Cell 4G but it's still only connecting at 3G protocols.

18 of 22 (4,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:16:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oh my nexus 5 works great with it.  My problem is the darn this wont activate.  its been setting on checking location data with att for 49 hours.  I finally gave up

oh my nexus 5 works great with it.  My problem is the darn this wont activate.  its been setting on checking location data with att for 49 hours.  I finally gave up

19 of 22 (4,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:31:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, you're confusing me. Your Nexus 5 works well with what, the MicroCell or the macrocell network?

What do you mean by checking location data? Is the GPS light a solid green? Are you in a rural area or a new area? Have you done a hard reset on the MicroCell? Did you enter the correct address? Sounds funny I know but your home address has to match what the GPS coordinates are.

Ok, you're confusing me. Your Nexus 5 works well with what, the MicroCell or the macrocell network?

What do you mean by checking location data? Is the GPS light a solid green? Are you in a rural area or a new area? Have you done a hard reset on the MicroCell? Did you enter the correct address? Sounds funny I know but your home address has to match what the GPS coordinates are.

20 of 22 (4,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 8:15:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

this is the message that i get when clicking on  Add a New 3G MicroCell Device Location

We apologize for the inconvenience, but our system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

here is what I mean by stuck activating.  its been this way for 56 hours.  and it wont let me disconnect the microcell from my account

Location Verification

The system is now comparing the GPS (Global Positioning System) location provided by your MicroCell to the address information you entered during the online activation process.

this is the message that i get when clicking on  Add a New 3G MicroCell Device Location

We apologize for the inconvenience, but our system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

here is what I mean by stuck activating.  its been this way for 56 hours.  and it wont let me disconnect the microcell from my account

Location Verification

The system is now comparing the GPS (Global Positioning System) location provided by your MicroCell to the address information you entered during the online activation process.

21 of 22 (4,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:28:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hmm, ok. Is your account address (billing address) the same physical location as your MicroCell? Is your address in a new development or rural? Have your tried a different browser? Sometimes just changing to a different browser works (from IE to FireFox for example).

Hmm, ok. Is your account address (billing address) the same physical location as your MicroCell? Is your address in a new development or rural? Have your tried a different browser? Sometimes just changing to a different browser works (from IE to FireFox for example).

22 of 22 (4,269 Views)