Ask a question

Posted Mar 24, 2014
    7:25:12 AM
    Microcell - Calls and texts not coming thru

When I am at home and connected to my microcell, 75% of the time when people call me they advise it rings and rings and then goes to voicemail. I never get a missed call notification.

When someone sends me a text I don’t get it at all or rarley I get it hours later. But when I send a text it seems to go thru.

When I feel I should have gotten a text from someone, if I put my phone in airplane mode and then turn airplane mode right off, texts will come thru. But when I’m not at home calls and texts work just fine.

I have a Note 2. ATT has swapped out my phone and the microcell and I amstill having the issues.

My microcell is direct connected to my Cisco wireless router. Automatic handle off is disabled on the microcell. My internet is Cable internet (30mbps down / 3mbps up) thru Atlantic Broadband. My address is right on the border of ATT service/no service.

I don’t know what else to do.

47 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (47)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 8:49:15 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I am on my friends account, as an authorized user, he lives 15 miles away from me and its not on my microcel,  my microcell is registered to my address and linked to my line only. 

Re: Microcell - Calls and texts not coming thru

31 of 48 (502 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 9:04:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

That's not the way it's supposed to work if I understand you correctly. You can use your phone as an Approved User when you are in range of his MicroCell as long as you have a valid AT&T account, and it can be either a pre-paid or post-paid account. If you have your own MicroCell at your residence, then you have to have an active, post-paid account and your cell phone number has to be listed as the primary number.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 48 (499 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 9:29:41 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Androider4Life on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:33:19 AM

my buddy is the account holder, my line is a secondary line on his account, and microcell is on his account but tied to my phone number.  when you set up the Microcell it asks what number will be the primary number, which is my number.  after it set up then  you can add other authorized users that are not on the account. 

Everything is all on the same account. 

[ Edited ]
    33 of 48 (493 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 9:43:52 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Interesting. Do you have your own, active post-paid account? And if so, is that the phone number you are using for the primary account number for the MicroCell that is at your residence? I understand how the Authorized Users work, it's the secondary line on another account at a different physical location that sounds a bit unusual.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

34 of 48 (488 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 11:11:36 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Guru

@ Androider4Life

As confused as I was before, your last few posts have pushed it to a whole new level....

Let me know if I'm wrong on any of this....

1.  You do not have an account in your name with AT&T as far as a phone plan is concerned, but you have an AT&T phone.

2.  You are using a secondary line listed under the account holder (I'm assuming a family plan) who lives at another physical address, 15 miles away.

3. You each have your own Mcell.  He is listed as the primary account holder on his Mcell.  You are listed as the primary account holder on your Mcell using a secondary line phone number even though you are not the primary account holder.

Does your friend's Mcell work without a problem?

Do you have your cellphone listed on his Mcell's Approved User List?  Does it work there?

After re-reading this entire thread again, I'm surprised your Mcell ever worked at all.  I know that it is possible for a primary account holder to have more than one Mcell on their account at a single address to provide coverage over a wider area at their physical address (posted on the forums previously).

However, that being said, I don't see how a person with no active account with AT&T in their name can register and operate a Mcell using another person's account at a different physical address.  I'll bet if you talked to AT&T about how you are set up, they'd tell you that there can be only one Mcell primary user per account.  Perhaps this why your Mcell doesn't work 75% of the time.

You should call AT&T and ask them if what you are trying to do is allowable.  If it is, then we can continue to try and help you.  If it isn't, I suggest you get your own account and see if your Mcell then works properly.   

35 of 48 (475 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 11:18:02 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by OttoPylot on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:20:03 AM

Thanks Avedis53 for bullet-pointing this. I'd hate to think we've been trying to help him when there's nothing we can do. His account details, as well as the original account holder, can be determined so I hope he posts back and straightens us out.

[ Edited ]
    36 of 48 (473 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 11:55:57 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Androider4Life on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:57:01 AM

1.correct 

2 . correct 

3. mine is the only microcell on his account. 

maybe me saying it was registered to my address came across incorrectly. what I meant was when i activated it i used my adress for the 911 location. I may have caused confusion in here 

[ Edited ]
    37 of 48 (464 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 12:57:42 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

From the MicroCell Technical Guide:

The MicroCell must reside within an AT&T 3G MicroCell coverage area:

1. The location has to be within an area AT&T is licensed to have coverage.
    2. The network (for call routing) in the area has to be configured properly for the MicroCell.
    3. All E911 services within the AT&T network have to be configured for MicroCell use.

Active postpaid account.

Prepaid customers can be approved users on an active postpaid customer’s approval list, but cannot own the AT&T 3G MicroCell device. In other words, the primary phone number has to be a postpaid account.

You may have an AT&T branded phone, but if you don't have your own postpaid account to register the MicroCell under, you can't use the MicroCell. Part of the registration/activation process is using the serial number of the MicroCell and tying it to an active, postpaid, account. That could explain why your calls are all messed up. The IMEI/IMSI number doesn't match anything as far as the network goes because there is no current, postpaid account associated with it. Using your address to activate it was fine, because that's where it's physically located, and the GPS coordinates match as well but that's not the problem. If you have a prepaid/postpaid account, you can use someone else's MicroCell as a guest (Approved User) as long as they have an active postpaid account and their cell phone number is listed the primary number on THEIR MicroCell.

Not having an active postpaid account, and attempting to use someone else's active account to setup a MicroCell at your location, using your phone number, is not allowed.

38 of 48 (450 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 1:04:57 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Screenshot_2014-03-26-15-59-52~01.png

39 of 48 (447 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 1:08:31 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Androider4Life on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:13:35 PM

My friends account is an employee plan,  so its postpaid. Nobody is using prepaid.. all lines including the Microcell are under 1 postpaid account. AT&T verifed my address was in micro cell coverage before I purchased it. 

My line,  under his account,  is the only line using the Microcel. the Microcell was purchased under his account but when you set it up,  my line was chosen to be the primary line using the Microcell. 

[ Edited ]
    40 of 48 (443 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 1:21:05 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

If that's the case, then I'd suggest taking your MicroCell over to his house and have him activate it there as if it was his own MicroCell, and adding  your phone number as an approved user. If the MicroCell registers correctly and you can connect then you know your phone is ok. If you can't connect, and he can with his phone, then it's your phone. If all is well, take the MicroCell back to your house and reactivate it with your address. Keep your phone number as an Approved User and use his phone number as the primary number. The MicroCell is designed to be used by the original owner at any other residence (like a summer home for example) as long as it has been activated by the account holder with his phone number. However, you will have to de-register the MicroCell first before your friend can properly register and activate it. After that, all you need to do is re-register the new addess (your house), use his phone number as the primary (matches the MicroCell sn to his number and account) and add your phone number as an Approved User.

BTW, AT&T service coverage maps are not the same thing as MicroCell Service Area because you don't have to have a macrocell close by, so you could be out of the AT&T Cellular Service Area and still be able to use a MicroCell.

41 of 48 (435 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 1:33:20 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

In my opinion I dont agree with it needing activated at the account holder's house, AT&T walked me through the activation never did they say I'm to be at his house. The Microcell worked perfect for a year,  now this issue arises and  nothing was change with the Microcell that could have started causing this. I personally think it's probably not the Microcell but I posted in here to see if anyone has suggestions of things I could try. 

if the Microcell was meant to be activated at the account holders primary address then moved to where it should go for it to work correctly, I shouldn't have been working the whole past year then. 

42 of 48 (423 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 26, 2014 1:47:52 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I can't argue with that nor do I have a good explanation for that other than maybe the system got upgraded, noticed the inconsistency and stopped working because that's not how it was originally designed.

43 of 48 (420 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2014 9:30:35 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am too now having issues with the Microcell, It will not send the incoming call to iphone, goes directly to VM  if you disconnect the Microcell it works fine, thanks

44 of 48 (359 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2014 9:37:31 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by OttoPylot on Apr 8, 2014 at 9:38:18 AM

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

1. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
    2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
    3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
    4. What are your download and upload speeds?
    5. What kind of internet service do you have (ADSL, cable, WiFi)?
    6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
    7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
    8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
    9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
    10. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
    11. Have you checked your line speed, http://www.speedtest.net/? If so, please post results.
    12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP, http://www.voipqualitytest.com/? If so, please post your results.
    13. Have you looked at the Tech Guide?

[ Edited ]
    45 of 48 (357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2014 11:25:11 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Guru

@ Otto - Aren't you glad you made that questionaire when you get a post like this?

46 of 48 (349 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2014 11:43:07 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Yes sir! I owe you a Fire and Ice Ale.

47 of 48 (345 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 13, 2015 10:23:08 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I am in the same place but worse... I have called them (AT&T) for the last 4months and got nothing back at all but more calls and saying they dont know..

I have the Note 4 and have reset the phone so many times its CRAZY.. They keep saying they will get back to me and they put in a ticket and I get nothing back..

My Issues -

While Connected to New (Replacement) Microcell this happens:

Slow internet speeds

Missed calls

Missed txts

Cant really send pictures texts

Microcell rapidly flickers on the phone

My Issues - in the house without microcell use

Fast internet becauase I can acutally use my Wifi from Comcast

Missed calls because signal is bad in house (1 bar) but with Verizon they have 4-5 bars

Missed Txts because of signal is bad in house

My Issues when leaving the house while connected to Microcell

If im on a call and I leave the house and get out of range the call drops and I lose everything

My Issues when coming home

If im on a call and I come home the call drops when automatically connecting to Microcell

I have a Verizon Work Phone and everythign works great on it in the house without having to have a microcell

When I go out back in yard and unplug the microcell everythign works fine on the phone..

I HEARD from the Tech that worked with me the first time that this is the same issues that have been reported with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ but they didnt know it was doing it with the Notes.

It sucks because they cant provide service but yet they want to make you pay up to leave and go with Verizon that works.

Patrick C......

48 of 48 (43 Views)