Helpful Links

MicroCell Updates

Contributor

MicroCell Updates

I'm going to try to keep this fairly simple. my MicroCell is "updating" right now. notice the quotations around that - sometimes it updates smoothly, usually within 30 minutes, but times like now I have no idea what is going on with it. every single time this thing updates, it disconnects my internet connection completely. no internet on my main PC and I can't even access the wifi through my phone which is what I'm typing this one. I'm using the awful 3G network at the moment. I've tried resetting everything and yielded no results. I've tried letting it sit and sometimes it goes for the entire night not doing a single thing. I can't download either of the guides so if anyone can lend me a hand with this issue, it'd be greatly appreciated.

some information that might be relevant:

my ISP is Optimum Online
my router model is Netgear WGR614 v9

thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 7
ACE - Master

Re: MicroCell Updates

What is the light pattern like on the front of the MicroCell? MicroCell updates usually happen in the middle of the night and aren't all that often. When updates do happen, you will lose connectivity for a period of time but that's usually only a couple of minutes and then it goes thru the restart procedure. It sounds like your loss of connectivity may be due to your ISP connection. Give us a little more detail and we'll see if we can figure this out.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Professor

To build on what Otto posted:

1.)  When you say your Mcell is "updating", what makes you think it is doing so?  Are all the lights solid green except the bottom 3G light and is that light flashing green?

2.)  Which wiring arrangement are you using?  Is the Mcell connected to your router and the router connected to the modem or is your Mcell connected to your modem and the router connected to your Mcell?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

before I continue, after a couple of resets, the connection smoothed out.

regardless, I'm still looking for a fix for future events.

all of the lights would be solid green except the bottom WiFi light that flashes which is supposedly to indicate an update, right?

secondly, my MicroCell is connected directly into my router, I didn't make any additional steps while setting it up previously.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Professor

It can indicate an update or activation but it can also mean that your Mcell has lost its connection to the internet.  The fact that you also lost your internet connection for your computer and your WiFi through your router makes me suspect a problem with your ISP connection, especially since your Mcell is connected to your router and not your modem.

Optimum Online may be having issues on their end.  You might contact them to see if there were any outages/problems on your node during the times you lost your internet connection.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

I just got out of a live chat with Optimum and they said there weren't any outages in my area today. looks like I'm back to square one?
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master

The bottom light of the MicroCell does not indicate WiFi, it indicates that you have a 3G (cellular) connection to AT&T. If it blinks green, then in all likelyhood you have lost connection to AT&T. Your internet connection could be fine for other tasks but the ports that connect the MicroCell to AT&T, via the internet, are having issues. VOIP can be subject to all kinds of peculiarities (line noise, dropped packets, fluctuating speeds, etc) so it doesn't take much to lose connection and when you restart (reboot) the MicroCell goes thru the initial startup procedure (see the link in my sig to the Guide for detailed information). A blinking green 3G light can indicate that an update was sent and the MicroCell was unable to properly restart itself but I think it's more likely that something has happened to your connection and not necessarily anything that AT&T has done.

You don't have to have an outage in your area (ISP) to lose connection. It could be an upstream switch from your ISP or something that they have done (maintenance, etc). Don't expect them to help you with the MicroCell because they can't, or won't.

I'd go thru the obvious things first, check your cables, the power adapter (does it feel too hot to touch?),  proper setup (don't use the computer port of the MicroCell),  all of the things listed in the guide. Then check with your ISP to see if they have blocked any of the ports required by the MicroCell.

I'm assuming that the power, ethernet, and GPS lights are all solid green.

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support