Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 22, 2014
11:29:36 AM
View profile
MiFi usage out of control

Whenever I access the internet using my MiFi hotspot, within 1 minute my data usage jumps to 10 MB or more. I am so afraid of using the hotspot that I usually go to the public library, McDonalds or Starbucks to get online. So basically, I'm paying AT&T $85 monthly for a 300MB plan that I don't use at all. I'm locked into a contract which AT&T is offering to terminate for $130 odd, but thereafter I still have to pay almost $60 for just my phone service and a never-ending $20 per month for the hotspot device which will be useless because I will have no wifi.

Whenever I access the internet using my MiFi hotspot, within 1 minute my data usage jumps to 10 MB or more. I am so afraid of using the hotspot that I usually go to the public library, McDonalds or Starbucks to get online. So basically, I'm paying AT&T $85 monthly for a 300MB plan that I don't use at all. I'm locked into a contract which AT&T is offering to terminate for $130 odd, but thereafter I still have to pay almost $60 for just my phone service and a never-ending $20 per month for the hotspot device which will be useless because I will have no wifi.

MiFi usage out of control

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 9:10:36 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @jackpujji 

What device are you connecting to your hotspot? There might be some updates or emails that start downloading when you connect to the Internet.

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @jackpujji 

What device are you connecting to your hotspot? There might be some updates or emails that start downloading when you connect to the Internet.

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: MiFi usage out of control

2 of 4 (815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 4:10:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi! Dmitry,

Very generous of you to respond. Mostly when I turn on my hotspot (I think it's a Novatel device) and connect to Mi-Fi Liberate, my Firefox receives a connection from Bing which comprises a huge screen-wide graphic--absolutely stunning photos daily but I don't want it at the cost of 10MB data usage. I have now learnt how to disable everything through my Windows 8 firewall, so the data usage has come down to about 5MB for a 2-3 minute connection while I hurriedly check my emails and try to kill the connection asap. I wish you or someone else could advise me how to achieve an internet connection through my hotspot without the need for starting up my browser. Then I could just open my Outlook without a browser and download my emails or send my outgoing emails while keeping my data usage to the barest minimum.

Jack Pujji

Hi! Dmitry,

Very generous of you to respond. Mostly when I turn on my hotspot (I think it's a Novatel device) and connect to Mi-Fi Liberate, my Firefox receives a connection from Bing which comprises a huge screen-wide graphic--absolutely stunning photos daily but I don't want it at the cost of 10MB data usage. I have now learnt how to disable everything through my Windows 8 firewall, so the data usage has come down to about 5MB for a 2-3 minute connection while I hurriedly check my emails and try to kill the connection asap. I wish you or someone else could advise me how to achieve an internet connection through my hotspot without the need for starting up my browser. Then I could just open my Outlook without a browser and download my emails or send my outgoing emails while keeping my data usage to the barest minimum.

Jack Pujji

3 of 4 (805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 6:08:27 AM
(0)
Community Manager

One recommendation I have is, if you need to use a browser, you can try a free a very light browser like Opera with Google or even a blank home page, it also has an off-road mode that compresses data for faster and more economical browsing.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

One recommendation I have is, if you need to use a browser, you can try a free a very light browser like Opera with Google or even a blank home page, it also has an off-road mode that compresses data for faster and more economical browsing.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (787 Views)