Wireless Forums

Reply
Posted Jul 11, 2013
5:37:02 AM
View profile
MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.

MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

733 views
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(8)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 9:39:01 AM
0
(0)
Employee

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


Sorry, you are not going to like this answer then but that is the way MMS works. Despite what you think happened previously, MMS requires a working cellular data connection and always has. A basic phone does not require a data plan for MMS to work but it still requires that the phone is able to make a data connection. The basic phones I've had in the past don't give you the option to turn cell data on or off, it is always on. An MMS message does not get billed as data (in other words, it does not use up your data plan) but it definitely requires a working data connection. Bottom line, yes you must have cell data turned on in order to send or receive an MMS message. IPhone users are able to send/receive pictures to other iPhones via iMessage, which uses either wifi or cell data but again, one or the other must be available. An iMessage, if sent via cellular data, does use up your data plan. To stop that from happening, either make sure you are on wifi or turn iMessage off.

 


kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


Sorry, you are not going to like this answer then but that is the way MMS works. Despite what you think happened previously, MMS requires a working cellular data connection and always has. A basic phone does not require a data plan for MMS to work but it still requires that the phone is able to make a data connection. The basic phones I've had in the past don't give you the option to turn cell data on or off, it is always on. An MMS message does not get billed as data (in other words, it does not use up your data plan) but it definitely requires a working data connection. Bottom line, yes you must have cell data turned on in order to send or receive an MMS message. IPhone users are able to send/receive pictures to other iPhones via iMessage, which uses either wifi or cell data but again, one or the other must be available. An iMessage, if sent via cellular data, does use up your data plan. To stop that from happening, either make sure you are on wifi or turn iMessage off.

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

2 of 9 (699 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 10:57:06 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:05:34 AM

Sandblaster is correct, MMS protocol requires data, a good example is if a data block is placed on a basic device, that device will not send or recieve a MMS message. The texting plan includes data for sending and recieving MMS messages which is why the basic phones where able to send and receive them. Cellular data is required for MMS and alway has been since inception of the sms/mms protocol.

 

 

SMS will work without a data connection. MMS won't though, there's a difference in how the two are sent across the network. SMS uses the signaling network to transmit messages which is the reason for the character limit. MMS is basically a combination of SMS and data; when you send, the message, picture, video or whatever is uploaded to a server at your provider, and then what is essentially an SMS message (although the end user never sees it) is sent to the recipient's phone which tells it there's a new MMS and where to download it via the data
network.

Sandblaster is correct, MMS protocol requires data, a good example is if a data block is placed on a basic device, that device will not send or recieve a MMS message. The texting plan includes data for sending and recieving MMS messages which is why the basic phones where able to send and receive them. Cellular data is required for MMS and alway has been since inception of the sms/mms protocol.

 

 

SMS will work without a data connection. MMS won't though, there's a difference in how the two are sent across the network. SMS uses the signaling network to transmit messages which is the reason for the character limit. MMS is basically a combination of SMS and data; when you send, the message, picture, video or whatever is uploaded to a server at your provider, and then what is essentially an SMS message (although the end user never sees it) is sent to the recipient's phone which tells it there's a new MMS and where to download it via the data
network.

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (690 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 5:55:39 AM
0
(0)
Professor

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

4 of 9 (643 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 8:47:42 AM
0
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

5 of 9 (635 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 7:26:28 AM
0
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

6 of 9 (615 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 11:38:46 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 14, 2013 at 11:39:25 AM

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS


sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (605 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 5:34:50 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by Taylarie on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:42:11 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS


And this is where you are wrong. While it is true you need data to send/receive MMS. There are many devices that will turn cellular data on for the sole purpose of sending/receiving an MMS and then turn it back off, but not all devices do that, especially Samsung devices, Which is why I said it is possible that the op had a device that did and switched to one that doesn't.{keep it courteous}


wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS


And this is where you are wrong. While it is true you need data to send/receive MMS. There are many devices that will turn cellular data on for the sole purpose of sending/receiving an MMS and then turn it back off, but not all devices do that, especially Samsung devices, Which is why I said it is possible that the op had a device that did and switched to one that doesn't.{keep it courteous}

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (587 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 8:06:08 AM
0
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS


And this is where you are wrong. While it is true you need data to send/receive MMS. There are many devices that will turn cellular data on for the sole purpose of sending/receiving an MMS and then turn it back off, but not all devices do that, especially Samsung devices, Which is why I said it is possible that the op had a device that did and switched to one that doesn't.{keep it courteous}


well evidently the Iphone is NOT one of them. Have a nice day


sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

kdas wrote:

 On Sunday, July 3rd, I upgraded my family wireless plan. Prior to this date, I had two smartphones on a data plan and two basic phones without data. I have a family 700 minute share plan with unlimited texting. We were all able to send SMS and MMS messages to each other without any problem no need for wifi or data connection. On Sunday, I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy III, upgraded the other smartphone to an iPhone4 and upgraded one of the basic phones to an iphone4 and added a data plan to that. Other than that, there were no changes to the plan. Now, I cannot send pictures to anyone unless my cell data is turned ON. My daughters (the iPhone users) cannot send pictures to any non-iPhone users unless their cell data is turned on and in order for someone to receive it, their cell data must be turned on. They can however send pictures to other iPhone users. I am really upset because NOTHING has changed. I UPGRADED. Is there any way to fix this or is this just another way for them to MAKE you use up your data?!?!?!? Total crap. I have NEVER had to have my cell data on or even a wifi connection in order to send MMS so I really don't want to hear that it is the way MMS works..it is not.


 

The difference you are seeing is most likely due to the change in make and model of the devices you and your family are using. Some devices, depending on make and model, will automatically switch data on and off strictly for MMS, while others won't. You say nothing has changed, but you should realize something did change and that is the devices you are using.


Have to disagree with you on this, if the cellular data is turned off by putting the phone in airplane mode, it will not turn on and off as you state. This would be a violation ofr both FAA regulations and FCC regulations, since both still outlaw the use of cellular devices on aricraft. Ask Alec Baldwin about it:smileyhappy:

 

The change that appears to have been made via the OP was the daughter's phone was switched from a basic device to a smartphone and the cellular data is being turned off at the phone.


Turning cellullar data off at a user level in the settings menu for data is not the same thing as putting it in airplane mode.


doesn;t really matter what method you use - the end results is exactly the same - MMS will NOT work. That is the point of this thread. Cellular data off = no MMS


And this is where you are wrong. While it is true you need data to send/receive MMS. There are many devices that will turn cellular data on for the sole purpose of sending/receiving an MMS and then turn it back off, but not all devices do that, especially Samsung devices, Which is why I said it is possible that the op had a device that did and switched to one that doesn't.{keep it courteous}


well evidently the Iphone is NOT one of them. Have a nice day

Re: MMS no longer working after upgrade unless using cell data!

9 of 9 (574 Views)
Share this post
Share this post