Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 6, 2014
10:53:17 AM
View profile
MIcrocell and Comcast Modem incompatability???

Hi, I have a new Comcast/Xfinity (Arris) Cable modem/WiFI Router. The 3G microcell I have is not compatable with this device so I have to use my old Apple WIFI router to hook the Microcell to for it to work and disable the Comcast WIFI. Unfortunately this means that I'm not getting the fastest WIFI I could be using if I were able to use the Comast Device. As a former CISCO employee I have contacted the comapny and there do not seem to be any plans to "upgrade" the microcell firmware to support this new Comacst router... Anybody out there have any thoughts? Cheers,

John 

Hi, I have a new Comcast/Xfinity (Arris) Cable modem/WiFI Router. The 3G microcell I have is not compatable with this device so I have to use my old Apple WIFI router to hook the Microcell to for it to work and disable the Comcast WIFI. Unfortunately this means that I'm not getting the fastest WIFI I could be using if I were able to use the Comast Device. As a former CISCO employee I have contacted the comapny and there do not seem to be any plans to "upgrade" the microcell firmware to support this new Comacst router... Anybody out there have any thoughts? Cheers,

John 

MIcrocell and Comcast Modem incompatability???

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 11:47:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What is the problem exactly? It could be a config setting somewhere in the Comcast router. The MicroCell router requirements are fairly simple and straightforward (see Tech Guide for details, link in my sig).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

What is the problem exactly? It could be a config setting somewhere in the Comcast router. The MicroCell router requirements are fairly simple and straightforward (see Tech Guide for details, link in my sig).

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: MIcrocell and Comcast Modem incompatability???

2 of 8 (1,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 4:10:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

THanks for the quick reply. I'll try and research the exact problem and get back to you.  After a few times on the phone to ATT . support I was told 3 times they were "incompatable" with no fix in sight. Some updated WIFI protocol thing that the MIcrocell can't handle... I'd be curious to know if there are ANY customers out there that have successfully hooked up the MIcroCell to an Xfinity (Arris TG 862) router.

THanks for the quick reply. I'll try and research the exact problem and get back to you.  After a few times on the phone to ATT . support I was told 3 times they were "incompatable" with no fix in sight. Some updated WIFI protocol thing that the MIcrocell can't handle... I'd be curious to know if there are ANY customers out there that have successfully hooked up the MIcroCell to an Xfinity (Arris TG 862) router.

3 of 8 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 5:47:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

WiFi shouldn't have anthing to do with the MicroCell unless you have it right next to the Comcast router. It should be at least 2' away from an WiFi source. It could be that Comcast is blocking ports. If it is something that Comcast is doing there's very little that AT&T can do. You need to check to see that the Comcast router is meeting the minimal router settings required by the MicroCell (see my Tech Guide). I'll see what I can find out about the Comcast router.

WiFi shouldn't have anthing to do with the MicroCell unless you have it right next to the Comcast router. It should be at least 2' away from an WiFi source. It could be that Comcast is blocking ports. If it is something that Comcast is doing there's very little that AT&T can do. You need to check to see that the Comcast router is meeting the minimal router settings required by the MicroCell (see my Tech Guide). I'll see what I can find out about the Comcast router.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 7:56:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There are several forums that have posts from people who were switched to the Arris TG 862 that have had connection hangs and total internet connection failures.  Whether this has anything to do with a Mcell incompatibility is anyone's guess.  That Arris is an all-in-one modem, router and internet telephone gateway and is most likely Comcast's approach to one-size-fits-all network equipment.

While it is early in the diagnosis game concerning your Mcell, I'd start giving serious consideration to contacting Comcast and demanding a different gateway.  Personally, I prefer a separate modem and router over a combined gateway like the Arris, especially if you don't need internet telephone.  If Comcast won't help you, then you could consider buying your own modem and router and forgo the monthly rental fee from Comcast.  Just make sure the equipment you buy is on Comcast's Approved List.

There are several forums that have posts from people who were switched to the Arris TG 862 that have had connection hangs and total internet connection failures.  Whether this has anything to do with a Mcell incompatibility is anyone's guess.  That Arris is an all-in-one modem, router and internet telephone gateway and is most likely Comcast's approach to one-size-fits-all network equipment.

While it is early in the diagnosis game concerning your Mcell, I'd start giving serious consideration to contacting Comcast and demanding a different gateway.  Personally, I prefer a separate modem and router over a combined gateway like the Arris, especially if you don't need internet telephone.  If Comcast won't help you, then you could consider buying your own modem and router and forgo the monthly rental fee from Comcast.  Just make sure the equipment you buy is on Comcast's Approved List.

5 of 8 (1,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 8:46:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good call. I wonder if the internet phone feature is causing the problem especially if it uses the SIP ALG protocols that we encountered a while back? I've asked some of the gateway ACE gurus if they can shed any light on the Arris.

Good call. I wonder if the internet phone feature is causing the problem especially if it uses the SIP ALG protocols that we encountered a while back? I've asked some of the gateway ACE gurus if they can shed any light on the Arris.

6 of 8 (1,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 8:55:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try this link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Connecting-3G-MicroCell-via-Arris-TG862/td-...

Might be useful.

7 of 8 (1,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 9:09:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

To summarize that link, the poster's solution was to change the firewall security in the Arris TG 862 from High to Medium. 

Certainly worth a look to see where the OP's setting is and to change it to Medium if it defaults to High.

To summarize that link, the poster's solution was to change the firewall security in the Arris TG 862 from High to Medium. 

Certainly worth a look to see where the OP's setting is and to change it to Medium if it defaults to High.

8 of 8 (1,748 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments