Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 27, 2011
10:17:45 PM
Long-term tower problem in NW Washington DC

I'm hoping this can be directed to someone in the Engineering Department. There's a tower or towers that have been experiencing problems in the vicinity of 14th St NW & U St NW in Washington DC. I have been battling AT&T for over TWO YEARS to have someone take a look at these towers, as they are exhibiting similar symptoms to a tower problem I experienced 4 years ago in my apartment. I can have 4-5 bars of service, and crossing this intersection will result in the TOTAL loss of signal temporarily. Even when my phone exhibits a signal again, I have virtually no service even with 4-5 bars on the indicator (or mid -70s to low -80s dB reading in Field Mode).

It's not a phone problem, because this has happened with FOUR consecutive generations of phones (a Tilt & 3 iPhones). I've run speed tests, and they either bomb out completely because of the high latency of the connection or the results are this

This is a busy and vibrant intersection near the densely populated U Street Corridor, Mid City DC, & Columbia Heights neighborhoods. My girlfriend had to walk out to the sidewalk to make a telephone call, and I had almost no coverage inside or out in this area.  I've tried reaching out via Facebook and Twitter, and I must have tagged that intersectiond dozens of times in the Mark the Spot app. At some point, this wanton disregard of clearly identified network problems should reach the level of criminal negligence. 

In the past, I was able to speak to someone in Engineering once a call was sufficiently elevated, but Customer Service just gives me the runaround and tells me they can't connect me to that department anymore. Can anyone here help?

I'm hoping this can be directed to someone in the Engineering Department. There's a tower or towers that have been experiencing problems in the vicinity of 14th St NW & U St NW in Washington DC. I have been battling AT&T for over TWO YEARS to have someone take a look at these towers, as they are exhibiting similar symptoms to a tower problem I experienced 4 years ago in my apartment. I can have 4-5 bars of service, and crossing this intersection will result in the TOTAL loss of signal temporarily. Even when my phone exhibits a signal again, I have virtually no service even with 4-5 bars on the indicator (or mid -70s to low -80s dB reading in Field Mode).

It's not a phone problem, because this has happened with FOUR consecutive generations of phones (a Tilt & 3 iPhones). I've run speed tests, and they either bomb out completely because of the high latency of the connection or the results are this

This is a busy and vibrant intersection near the densely populated U Street Corridor, Mid City DC, & Columbia Heights neighborhoods. My girlfriend had to walk out to the sidewalk to make a telephone call, and I had almost no coverage inside or out in this area.  I've tried reaching out via Facebook and Twitter, and I must have tagged that intersectiond dozens of times in the Mark the Spot app. At some point, this wanton disregard of clearly identified network problems should reach the level of criminal negligence. 

In the past, I was able to speak to someone in Engineering once a call was sufficiently elevated, but Customer Service just gives me the runaround and tells me they can't connect me to that department anymore. Can anyone here help?

Long-term tower problem in NW Washington DC

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 12:46:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did a search of AT&T and U Street and to say I have the exact same issue.  Usually if I park 2-3 blocks away I have service, but once I step within a block of 14th and U Street, nothing.  No cell service, no wirelesss.  I miss calls, texts, emails, etc.  Although I live in Northern Virginia, I spend a lot of time in this area and, once my contract is up, I'm going to switch providers.  I have a couple of other friends (with different phones) who run into the same issues.  And everytime I'm meeting up with someone in that area, I have to give them a heads-up that they might not be able to reach me.  Which is beyond ridiculous.  It sucks too because otherwise I'd have no complaints.  Oh well...Verizon (or Sprint? or T-mobile?) it is!

I did a search of AT&T and U Street and to say I have the exact same issue.  Usually if I park 2-3 blocks away I have service, but once I step within a block of 14th and U Street, nothing.  No cell service, no wirelesss.  I miss calls, texts, emails, etc.  Although I live in Northern Virginia, I spend a lot of time in this area and, once my contract is up, I'm going to switch providers.  I have a couple of other friends (with different phones) who run into the same issues.  And everytime I'm meeting up with someone in that area, I have to give them a heads-up that they might not be able to reach me.  Which is beyond ridiculous.  It sucks too because otherwise I'd have no complaints.  Oh well...Verizon (or Sprint? or T-mobile?) it is!

Re: Long-term tower problem in NW Washington DC

2 of 9 (2,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 9:39:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:48:18 AM

AT&T emergency care

You're welcome :-)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

AT&T emergency care

You're welcome :-)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (2,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 9:41:06 AM
(0)
Teacher
They will be more help than Customer Service, level 2 tech support and so on...they are the ones who fix problems when the other divisions fail. They replaced the tower by my house that was having data connectivity issues
They will be more help than Customer Service, level 2 tech support and so on...they are the ones who fix problems when the other divisions fail. They replaced the tower by my house that was having data connectivity issues

4 of 9 (2,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2012 5:15:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T emergency care?

Any contact info?

AT&T emergency care?

Any contact info?

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

5 of 9 (1,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2012 11:53:41 AM
(0)
Master

AT&T has had long standing issues at this location and I experience them daily.  I think they simply don't have enough capacity to service the growing crowds that converged on this location.   With more new condos opening every day and the large crowds in the evening time the problem is only sure to get worse as there are too many people taxing the meager network resources at this location.

AT&T has had long standing issues at this location and I experience them daily.  I think they simply don't have enough capacity to service the growing crowds that converged on this location.   With more new condos opening every day and the large crowds in the evening time the problem is only sure to get worse as there are too many people taxing the meager network resources at this location.

6 of 9 (1,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 11:47:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Issue still happening. I lose cell and data service on the weekends at my house (15th and Swann). It has beeb getting worse and worse in the last year. Reporting the problem on the mark the spot app just results in this a known issue report. 

Issue still happening. I lose cell and data service on the weekends at my house (15th and Swann). It has beeb getting worse and worse in the last year. Reporting the problem on the mark the spot app just results in this a known issue report. 

7 of 9 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 11:02:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

If it's been that long and you've used Mark the Spot I have a feeling AT&T is maxing its WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA+ capacity in that area. That means ultra slow data speeds because the capacity is being used up by voice. And they've run out of voice capacity. Only solution in terms of engineering is to build a new cell site and divide up the sector capacity. Of course that's the LAST solution any company wants because it costs time and $$$. I', guessing they are probably doing it.

If it's been that long and you've used Mark the Spot I have a feeling AT&T is maxing its WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA+ capacity in that area. That means ultra slow data speeds because the capacity is being used up by voice. And they've run out of voice capacity. Only solution in terms of engineering is to build a new cell site and divide up the sector capacity. Of course that's the LAST solution any company wants because it costs time and $$$. I', guessing they are probably doing it.

8 of 9 (576 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 11:04:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

I also have to add DC is a very international city and AT&T/T-mobile probably need more cell sites than the competition because of GSM. 

I also have to add DC is a very international city and AT&T/T-mobile probably need more cell sites than the competition because of GSM. 

9 of 9 (574 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments