Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2013
8:44:09 AM
View profile
Legitimately stolen iPhone

Hi,

I had to use that title for this post because I'm upset at the current state of affairs when it comes to stolen iphones and how it's handled by service providers, etc.

My 1 week old iPhone 5 was stolen, was able to track it by way of iCloud, put a 4digit PIN on it and the person turned it off.  So I could not contact the police. However, I will fill out a police report and file it.  The phone is now blocked and suspended from use.  Further, I went ahead and setup an erase command, but doubt it'll take place since it's blocked.

Anyway, I am fine with all of the above.  Live and Learn!  However, I should have the extra option to not have to pay for a phone and a line that I'm not using because the phone was stolen.  I do have the insurance on the phone, but don't have the funds right now to pay the deductible.  And I won't be able to pay the deductible because I'm paying on a phone and line that I can't use.  Catch 22!

I understand that Apple and AT&T have to protect themselves, though.  Don't get me wrong!  It's just that legitimate circumstances like could be handled differently.

Thank you.

Hi,

I had to use that title for this post because I'm upset at the current state of affairs when it comes to stolen iphones and how it's handled by service providers, etc.

My 1 week old iPhone 5 was stolen, was able to track it by way of iCloud, put a 4digit PIN on it and the person turned it off.  So I could not contact the police. However, I will fill out a police report and file it.  The phone is now blocked and suspended from use.  Further, I went ahead and setup an erase command, but doubt it'll take place since it's blocked.

Anyway, I am fine with all of the above.  Live and Learn!  However, I should have the extra option to not have to pay for a phone and a line that I'm not using because the phone was stolen.  I do have the insurance on the phone, but don't have the funds right now to pay the deductible.  And I won't be able to pay the deductible because I'm paying on a phone and line that I can't use.  Catch 22!

I understand that Apple and AT&T have to protect themselves, though.  Don't get me wrong!  It's just that legitimate circumstances like could be handled differently.

Thank you.

Legitimately stolen iPhone

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 10:00:12 AM
(0)
Professor
If you bought the phone at a discount price with a 2 year contract, that means Apple or ATT lost money in the deal. You paid them less than what the phone cost them, so they lost money on the deal at first. The way they make the money back is by making you pay them back over time. Why should ATT or Apple eat the loss because your phone got stolen?

If my car gets stolen, should Ford let me off the hook for my payments?
If you bought the phone at a discount price with a 2 year contract, that means Apple or ATT lost money in the deal. You paid them less than what the phone cost them, so they lost money on the deal at first. The way they make the money back is by making you pay them back over time. Why should ATT or Apple eat the loss because your phone got stolen?

If my car gets stolen, should Ford let me off the hook for my payments?

Re: Legitimately stolen iPhone

2 of 6 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 10:26:23 AM
(0)
Employee

The deductible will not be waived or refunded, unfortunately. Smiley Sad

If you have not yet filed a claim, you need to do so by clicking here.

Although $199 may seem steep (especially if you received it at a heavily discounted price or even free), it's still better than paying the full price (depending on which one you got, would be $549+).

AT&T can often be flexible and very helpful.  You may be able to split up the $199 and pay it off in two or three segments on your monthly bill. I've seen it done before with customers who have a good LTV, always paid their bill on time and/or before it was due (credits).  If you match the criteria, you may be eligible for that option.

File the claim, call, and inquire. Smiley Happy

I wish you the best of luck!

The deductible will not be waived or refunded, unfortunately. Smiley Sad

If you have not yet filed a claim, you need to do so by clicking here.

Although $199 may seem steep (especially if you received it at a heavily discounted price or even free), it's still better than paying the full price (depending on which one you got, would be $549+).

AT&T can often be flexible and very helpful.  You may be able to split up the $199 and pay it off in two or three segments on your monthly bill. I've seen it done before with customers who have a good LTV, always paid their bill on time and/or before it was due (credits).  If you match the criteria, you may be eligible for that option.

File the claim, call, and inquire. Smiley Happy

I wish you the best of luck!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 10:50:09 AM
(0)
Expert

caffewmilk wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

go to a retail outlet, pick up a att gophone and a sims until you can afford the deducatable. Be aware of a couple of things - you need to check with asurion (the underwriter of the policy) to see is there is a time limit to file the claim, and secondly if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan putting a basic phone on your line will remove the grandfathered plan and you will not be able to get it back

caffewmilk wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

go to a retail outlet, pick up a att gophone and a sims until you can afford the deducatable. Be aware of a couple of things - you need to check with asurion (the underwriter of the policy) to see is there is a time limit to file the claim, and secondly if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan putting a basic phone on your line will remove the grandfathered plan and you will not be able to get it back

4 of 6 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 7:18:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks guys. Again, I do understand the companies have to make money to pay their employees.  It's just the monthly charges for a phone line and device that I don't even have that I would like to suspend temporarily.

It will a. give me a chance to file the claim, b. save money towards the deductible, and c. be back to being a customer with a new phone.

I will call and see if I can break down the deductible into a couple of montly payments.  Terribly sorry for the rant.  Just upset that it happened and where it happened:  at a church.

Thanks guys. Again, I do understand the companies have to make money to pay their employees.  It's just the monthly charges for a phone line and device that I don't even have that I would like to suspend temporarily.

It will a. give me a chance to file the claim, b. save money towards the deductible, and c. be back to being a customer with a new phone.

I will call and see if I can break down the deductible into a couple of montly payments.  Terribly sorry for the rant.  Just upset that it happened and where it happened:  at a church.

5 of 6 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 10:17:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

caffewmilk wrote:

It happen at a church??? I hope the person who stole your iPhone 5 gets what he/she "deserves" in the end!Smiley Wink As for "making money to pay employees" AT&T and other carriers need money to buy new iPhones, and other smartphones.

caffewmilk wrote:

It happen at a church??? I hope the person who stole your iPhone 5 gets what he/she "deserves" in the end!Smiley Wink As for "making money to pay employees" AT&T and other carriers need money to buy new iPhones, and other smartphones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (621 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments