Lack of training and complex processes keep us from being ATT customers.

Teacher

Lack of training and complex processes keep us from being ATT customers.

I really see this as a training problem. Let me explain "the plan".

My son was going off to college and he was on a Kajeet phone plan. Worked great for him. Little voice, no data and text like a... well, teenager.  It was highly recommended that we move him to an ATT plan for college because it has the best coverage there.  Well, since Sprint wouldn't give us decent service in our own home in Austin, my wife and I wanted to change to ATT as well. However, we would have to wait for our service anniversary to do so. The idea was that we would migrate our son to ATT first and get a family share plan that my wife and I would join in a month.

Given the very poor reviews of Austin area ATT stores, we decided to visit the ATT store in Brownwood TX. Two fold deal here: 1) good reviews and 2) get son use to the place in case he had phone problems away at college.

We met the very friendly and seemingly knowlegeable customer service person at the door. He was very patient with us as we explained the plan above and took us around to the various phones and understood very well what we planned to do. This is where things started to go wrong.

First, we're told that he can't port son's phone number. He would have to change his number because they can not port from Kajeet (non-contract service). OK, so son agrees to go through the pain of changing phone number and we sign him up for an iphone (4, not 4s) and go about getting a new number. We're told, it can't be an Austin AC (first thing we know now that wasn't true at the time) so we accept the assignment of a Brownwood AC limitation to his phone with the clearly planned movement of our Austin AC phone numbers in the future.  We were told that would not be a problem when we will do this in September (second instance of where we now know it was not true at the time).

So everything is fine from August 6th when we signed up our son to the contract end date with Sprint on Sept 10. Magic date it turns out as Apple has it's announcement that same day. Since I was planning to move to a 4s, I figure it's kind of a sign to see what comes out.  I decide to postpone conversion and wait for a 5c. September 20th comes along and the 5c shows up. Here's where things really go into the tar pits quickly.

I get my phone and it has my phone number printed on the wrapper. I figure this is really cool and figured the phone was ready to be activated. But I get a "no service" indicator on the phone and no clear instructions in the box on what to do. So digging around on the ATT activation pages I find the "trasfer an existing number" help line and called that number.  The lady on the other end ran into all sorts of problems and error codes and she called in the next level of help... anyway, the call ended when I landed on the never ending voice menu options of the service.

I called back again and got someone else that said I needed to sync my iPhone with iTunes and everything would then work OK. So after downloading and updating and syncing, they were correct. Sort of. The phone came up and I was able to call and text and download aps... but the rub is, it wasn't my sprint number...  They had ported my son's phone number to my phone.  In that process they had disabled his SIM card and now his phone is dead.  (I mean really, if one can not have two ACs on the same account, shouldn't tech support know this?) 

Third call to techsupport got someone to tell me what was going on. I was able to email my son and let him know why his phone was dead and send him to the ATT store to get it fixed. He was unable to do so as the line out the door was 90 min long at that point.

Personal visit to ATT store in Brownwood (two hour drive one way to be sure things are done properly). Told them the above story and they quickly resolved son's dead phone SIM card. Excellent! But when we tried to migrate my phone number it was the first clue for them that what we were trying to do is blocked by ATT's process. Person #5 figures this out.  They call over someone else to discuss the options and there appears to be one. Wait until October 1st and then transfer our numbers. Supposedly it will all be fixed by then and multiple AC can be tied to one comercial account.  No proposals on how to manage having two expensive data plans for the extra weeks. No adjustments offered. No options except to wait and hope they are correct.  (To be honest, they were very appologetic and I believe sincere. But at this point my wife is ready to run to another service from ATT and stick my son with a $95/mo phone bill for which he can't afford to pay). This is certainly not a positive experience.

So

1) WILL we be able to migrate our phones October 1st? Looking for some sort of qualified second opinon here.

2) We were sold the wrong plan. Is there anything we can do to adjust this? 

3) They didn't seem to think at the ATT store they were qualified to offer anything.  Who is qualified?

Message 1 of 6 (688 Views)
Teacher

Re: Lack of training and complex processes keep us from being ATT customers.

24 hours and no answers? Any confirmation for item one? Or should I send my iphone back?
Message 2 of 6 (629 Views)
Expert

ausphoche wrote:
24 hours and no answers? Any confirmation for item one? Or should I send my iphone back?

your best bet is to send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

Message 3 of 6 (620 Views)
Community Support

Hi ausphoche,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Message 4 of 6 (578 Views)
Contributor

I had a similar experience. I recently ordered 2 iPhone 4Ss from AT&T online. I received them 1 day later, but when activated my phone did not work. It could send and receive messages but not make or receive phone calls! I tried everything the AT&T customer service reps suggested, and even some online recommendations, all to no avail. I visited the local AT&T store (Harrisonburg, VA), but they told me to download iTunes to fix the problem. It did not. When I called them back they refused to help, because they only carried the newer iPhone 5s. I finally called Apple and received the help I needed from Christine! She was delightful, helpful and easy to talk to... the exact opposite of almost everyone from AT&T. Finally after 8 days of getting the runaround, I should have a replacement phone in a few days... thanks to Apple.
Message 5 of 6 (348 Views)
ACE - Professor

dentonwhite wrote:
I had a similar experience. I recently ordered 2 iPhone 4Ss from AT&T online. I received them 1 day later, but when activated my phone did not work. It could send and receive messages but not make or receive phone calls! I tried everything the AT&T customer service reps suggested, and even some online recommendations, all to no avail. I visited the local AT&T store (Harrisonburg, VA), but they told me to download iTunes to fix the problem. It did not. When I called them back they refused to help, because they only carried the newer iPhone 5s. I finally called Apple and received the help I needed from Christine! She was delightful, helpful and easy to talk to... the exact opposite of almost everyone from AT&T. Finally after 8 days of getting the runaround, I should have a replacement phone in a few days... thanks to Apple.

I know it's easy to blame your frustration on AT&T, but it's not AT&T's fault it took you 8 days to do what needed to be done.

Your issue was with an Apple device, and problems with an Apple device are handled by Apple.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (320 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.