Helpful Links

LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

Teacher

LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

I am on the grandfathered AT&T international unlimited data roaming plan. Do we get LTE when we roaming on the countries where AT&T have LTE roaming agreements?

748 Views
Message 1 of 10
Expert

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data


daryl.kl wrote:

I am on the grandfathered AT&T international unlimited data roaming plan. Do we get LTE when we roaming on the countries where AT&T have LTE roaming agreements?


Depends on where you travel, the US utilizes a different LTE Band

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

 

Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data


wingrider01 wrote:

daryl.kl wrote:

I am on the grandfathered AT&T international unlimited data roaming plan. Do we get LTE when we roaming on the countries where AT&T have LTE roaming agreements?


Depends on where you travel, the US utilizes a different LTE Band

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

 


I don't think that matters as long as ATT has an LTE roaming agreement and the phone supports whatever LTE band the roaming partner uses. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Expert

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data


sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

daryl.kl wrote:

I am on the grandfathered AT&T international unlimited data roaming plan. Do we get LTE when we roaming on the countries where AT&T have LTE roaming agreements?


Depends on where you travel, the US utilizes a different LTE Band

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

 


I don't think that matters as long as ATT has an LTE roaming agreement and the phone supports whatever LTE band the roaming partner uses. 


As you said - only if the phone supports the LTE band, for example only a phone designated as a "world phone" sold in the US will most likely have the transsciever that supports the bands used in Europe and and paneurasian countries, the iphone 5 only supports bands 1,3,5 which will work in some countries overseas, begining with the 5S/C apple added more LTE bands to the support list depends on the model number you have. Plus when myself and my family was on vacation the daughters iphone 5 did not work in some of the countries that we where in

Message 4 of 10
Teacher

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

I am aware of the different LTE bands. It doesn't work. I have tried it in two countries in Asia. In both countries, I selected manually the AT&T LTE roaming partner and I tried it using two S4s, one is AT&T S4 and the other is an international unlock S4 bought in the country where I am roaming, which is compatabile with the local LTE band. I was also in LTE coverage area.

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data


daryl.kl wrote:

I am aware of the different LTE bands. It doesn't work. I have tried it in two countries in Asia. In both countries, I selected manually the AT&T LTE roaming partner and I tried it using two S4s, one is AT&T S4 and the other is an international unlock S4 bought in the country where I am roaming, which is compatabile with the local LTE band. I was also in LTE coverage area.


Has your grandfathered AT&T international unlimited data roaming plan been provisioned to allow LTE? Even with the domestic grandfathered unlimited plan, you had to have AT&T change it to the LTE equivilent plan in order to get LTE service, it wasn't automatic.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Teacher

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

I just called up AT&T international customer service and both customer service person told me there is no LTE international provision required. All they need to do is just activate international roaming, which I already have. I actually called twice and spoke to two different person and they told me the same thing.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Expert

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data


daryl.kl wrote:

I am aware of the different LTE bands. It doesn't work. I have tried it in two countries in Asia. In both countries, I selected manually the AT&T LTE roaming partner and I tried it using two S4s, one is AT&T S4 and the other is an international unlock S4 bought in the country where I am roaming, which is compatabile with the local LTE band. I was also in LTE coverage area.


the only 2 telecoms that are lte enabled in China are China Mobile which came online in Decemeber 2013, and China Telecom which came online Febuary 2014, both utilize Band 41

Message 8 of 10
Mentor

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

I just returned from Japan and was able to roam on Softbank's and NTT Docomo's LTE networks with my Nexus 5.

Message 9 of 10
Teacher

Re: LTE International Roaming on Grandfathered International Unlimited Data

Are you on the grandfathered international unlimited data plan?

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support