LTE Detroit

Teacher

LTE Detroit

Anyone have any idea when LTE will come to Detroit? In December, AT&T store said Q1 and obviously that didn't happen.
Message 1 of 68
Scholar

Re: LTE Detroit

Well I wonder what is going on now.  If jwagger reported his phone being on LTE in Riverview(southwest of Detroit) in the last week of July, then surely more people should be seeing LTE on their phones in other parts of the city by now, if infact AT&T is testing and plans to launch in the next few months. When they test they do it on more than one tower and they slowly expand out. It should be at least in the city by now!!

Message 31 of 68
Scholar

Just checked the AT&T 4G coverage map and it now shows LTE coming soon to DETROIT and GRAND RAPIDS.....YeeeHAAA!!  Katie bar the door baby!!!

Message 32 of 68
Teacher

Can you post a link to that?   I'm not seeing it.

Message 33 of 68
Scholar

Here is the link: http://www.att.com/network/

Click on Coverage which is half way down the pageSmiley Happy 

Message 34 of 68
Teacher

It's a beautiful thing, would be even better if they gave a narrower time frame than by year end.   Still great to know we're getting close!

Message 35 of 68
Scholar

A little off the subject but on another AT&T thread people have confirmed that 4G/HSPA+ went live in Gaylord this morning. With fresh coverage in the Soo, it looks like AT&T is upgrading service more aggressively which is awesome. I am hoping when AT&T flips the switch on they roll it out here to northern Macomb county and not just a small area around Detroit.

Message 36 of 68
Guru

AT&T is definitely being more aggressive with the upgrades as of lately.
Message 37 of 68
Scholar

Anyone seeing LTE in any other areas of southeast MI yet?? If so where??
Message 38 of 68
Master

I would not be surprised to see a number of markets come up in the next two weeks to coincide with the new iphone..... 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 39 of 68
Teacher

Young is right...Milwaukee is starting their full launch October 3 per CS and should be fully online by November
Message 40 of 68
Scholar

I would be suprised to see LTE here before mid/late December. And then the northern suburbs, like northern Macomb County, probably won't see it until an expansion next year. Verizon launched LTE in early 2011 and still no new coverage in Almont/Imlay City or along I-69 from Port Huron to Flint. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Message 41 of 68

As long as it comes to Novi soon, I'll be happy haha
Message 42 of 68
Professor

When I drove from Sault Ste. Marie (actually Elliot Lake, ON) to Detroit at the start of August, coverage on I-75 between Mackinaw and Bay City on 2G was 'OK' at best.  I was on a call while on the road (hands free!) for a strech and the call dropped twice.  It was to a land line.

I haven't really had a dropped call in SoCal since ~2008.  Of course, this area was GSM/EDGE.  If they were running AMR-Full Rate, its possible that I might not have dropped.

Message 43 of 68
Teacher

Let's keep the discussion to LTE in Detroit area as the topic indicates.
Message 44 of 68
Scholar

@formercanuck

It is possible they are switching to wide band speech codecs if they are in network transition to UMTS. I was in Gaylord this past weekend testing the 4G and all my speedtest results were indeed on UMTS. Seems they are switching downstate here from HSDPA as well.

@mark1281

Nobody has reported seeing any new LTE coverage around Detroit. I think if they were ready to flip the switch on there would have been a soft launch first in which case this thread would have lit up like a switch board. Hopefully we will see it soon and they continue to upgrade northern Mi.
Message 45 of 68
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support