LTE Detroit

Teacher

LTE Detroit

Anyone have any idea when LTE will come to Detroit? In December, AT&T store said Q1 and obviously that didn't happen.
Message 1 of 68 (5,778 Views)
Tutor

Re: LTE Detroit

I'm in Canton. I was suprised to see LTE on my iPhone 5 since I switched from Sprint on the 20th. I called AT&T at the beginning of the month and they said it wasn't in my area yet. I'm satisfied with the speed.

Message 61 of 68 (1,309 Views)
Scholar

The only problem I have experienced is my phone wont switch to LTE until I am 5-7 miles into the coverage area because there are too many non-LTE 4G towers nearby. If you live JUST inside the LTE coverage according to their map you might not be able to get on it. The HTC phones will switch to the tower that has the strongest signal rather than an LTE preferred mode and AT&T has blocked the network selection feature thats in the phone settings....at least on the HTC Vivid and the One XSmiley Sad
Message 62 of 68 (1,273 Views)

That seems like it would keep many people from having LTE service if it doesn't turn on as its supposed to.
Message 63 of 68 (1,201 Views)
Scholar

@Zachhockey2
Or maybe there is a firmware update that will fix the problem. I was in Dearborn yesterday and my phone switched from LTE to 4G quite a few times which makes me think that all of their towers might not have been upgraded yet within the coverage areas. My HTC phone has a network selection menu that is supposed to allow me to lock the phone in EDGE,3/4G, or LTE only but AT&T is blocking the phone from doing that and currently is locked on GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto which does not allow me to lock it on the band I want which is bee ess!! One thing that baffles me is that where I was at yesterday, my phone had 4 solid bars of 4G two months ago but on LTE it only had one and the speeds sucked.
Message 64 of 68 (1,177 Views)

Just curious, have you seem any improvement from your last post?
Message 65 of 68 (1,041 Views)
Scholar

I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy s3 and love it. No network improvement around here. Still have to go 6-8 miles inward from the border of LTE coverage for my phone to switch to the lightning fast network. Verizon allows their users to lock their phones and devices into LTE, and AT&T does not. Haven't found a way around that.....yet.
Message 66 of 68 (956 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Verizon LTE is live in Alpena, Mi. Although it has not been offially launched.
Message 67 of 68 (682 Views)
Scholar

Well, we are creeping up on the 1 year anniversary of AT&T kicking off LTE in Metro Detroit but 0 expansions northward. All the towers north of Washington Township still only have 2 panels per sector which means no LTE in the near future. What gives????
Message 68 of 68 (242 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.