Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 17, 2013
7:28:06 AM
View profile
LTE Coverage...

I live in St. Joseph, MO just north of KC. According to the coverage map it says that downtown has LTE along the Missouri river. This isn't the case though as neither I nor my co-workers have LTE in this area. Any thoughts?

I live in St. Joseph, MO just north of KC. According to the coverage map it says that downtown has LTE along the Missouri river. This isn't the case though as neither I nor my co-workers have LTE in this area. Any thoughts?

LTE Coverage...

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 9:09:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

Att told me over a year ago that Pickford, Michigan would have 4g by the end of July 2012. It's now July of 2013, and we  still have no 4g. But the Att map shows that we do. Not sure why they are allowed get away with this kind of false advertising. 

Att told me over a year ago that Pickford, Michigan would have 4g by the end of July 2012. It's now July of 2013, and we  still have no 4g. But the Att map shows that we do. Not sure why they are allowed get away with this kind of false advertising. 

Re: LTE Coverage...

2 of 9 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 11:55:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

The LTE signal you could get in St. Joseph along the river is from the Kansas side and a lot weaker than the HSPA+ service in St. Joseph. So your phone and your coworkers' phones are going to prefer the local signal over a fringe LTE signal.  The LTE signal may be there, but weak enough the HSPA+ service is probably still better.

The LTE signal you could get in St. Joseph along the river is from the Kansas side and a lot weaker than the HSPA+ service in St. Joseph. So your phone and your coworkers' phones are going to prefer the local signal over a fringe LTE signal.  The LTE signal may be there, but weak enough the HSPA+ service is probably still better.

3 of 9 (943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 2:51:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

I drove over to Elwood, KS for lunch today and my phone still wasn't picking up LTE. It seems the towers downtown here are severely overloaded. During business hours my DL speed is around 100 to 200 kbps. Ping is around 900ms. AT&T told me that we would have upgraded LTE towers in a few months and to try using WIFI during peak hours until then. Though I still have to pay full price for service that isn't worth having. Smiley Sad

I drove over to Elwood, KS for lunch today and my phone still wasn't picking up LTE. It seems the towers downtown here are severely overloaded. During business hours my DL speed is around 100 to 200 kbps. Ping is around 900ms. AT&T told me that we would have upgraded LTE towers in a few months and to try using WIFI during peak hours until then. Though I still have to pay full price for service that isn't worth having. Smiley Sad

4 of 9 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 6:37:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Welcome to marketing strategy

LTE coverage just means there is at least one LTE base station in that area. Most of the providers do this. They throw up a couple of LTE base stations and then crow about "LTE coverage now available!"

As ATT cannot replace all of the cell sites at once, there are probably a lot of HSPA+ radios around the area.

Your phone will always attach to the strongest signal. So, unless you are in the a specific cell covered by the LTE  base station, you are not going to get LTE signal.

LTE coverage just means there is at least one LTE base station in that area. Most of the providers do this. They throw up a couple of LTE base stations and then crow about "LTE coverage now available!"

As ATT cannot replace all of the cell sites at once, there are probably a lot of HSPA+ radios around the area.

Your phone will always attach to the strongest signal. So, unless you are in the a specific cell covered by the LTE  base station, you are not going to get LTE signal.

5 of 9 (887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 11:17:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

LTE_Dave wrote:

So... your saying LTE is a scam?

LTE_Dave wrote:

So... your saying LTE is a scam?

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

6 of 9 (865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 11:22:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

Elwood, KS is still right on the fringe. Go over to Troy, KS and you should be getting LTE if the maps are accurate.

Elwood, KS is still right on the fringe. Go over to Troy, KS and you should be getting LTE if the maps are accurate.

7 of 9 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 6:30:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yep. Even Wathena, KS has LTE. Funny how the little itsy bitsy towns have LTE, but then the small city next to them doesn't. I still haven't heard anything officially anouncing St. Joseph, MO will be getting LTE. Only the CSRs are telling me we will have it in a few months.

Yep. Even Wathena, KS has LTE. Funny how the little itsy bitsy towns have LTE, but then the small city next to them doesn't. I still haven't heard anything officially anouncing St. Joseph, MO will be getting LTE. Only the CSRs are telling me we will have it in a few months.

8 of 9 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 10:40:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

I saw LTE panels being put up near 169 in north St. Joseph/Country Club Village area about a month ago, but wasn't 100% positive if it was an AT&T tower. Hopefully they're making progress as the "4G" in St. Joseph is abysmal.

I saw LTE panels being put up near 169 in north St. Joseph/Country Club Village area about a month ago, but wasn't 100% positive if it was an AT&T tower. Hopefully they're making progress as the "4G" in St. Joseph is abysmal.

9 of 9 (517 Views)