Just upgraded - Can I convert NEXT to 2yr contract?

Teacher

Just upgraded - Can I convert NEXT to 2yr contract?

Hi guys,

I just upgraded my phone (as in today, this morning). I decided to go with the NEXT plan, but upon having time to read the documentation pertaining to the NEXT program I decided I would rather just buy the phone upfront on a 2-yr contract.

I understand I have 14 days to return the phone, but can the payment plan on the phone be converted to a 2-yr contract and just pay the $450 (64gb iPhone 5s, minus $210 trade-in value for iPhone 4s) or does the phone need to be exchanged instore?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (1,137 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Just upgraded - Can I convert NEXT to 2yr contract?

I would suggest doing this in store to make sure nothing goes wrong and they can collect the contract price of the phone you chose.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (1,121 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
Next is essentially a phone renting plan. If customer choose to trade in after 12 month, they have paid $27*12 = $324 for the iPhone. And meanwhile you loose the subsidize for 12 months, that is $20*12 =$240. Totally it cost $564 to rent an iPhone from AT&T for one year. AT&T is really smart to come up with such a great idea.
Message 3 of 6 (1,084 Views)
Employee

You also have the choice of flat-out buying the phone if you go 20 months with that program.  It's great for people who don't have $500+ right up front.

If you want to go with a contract, you'll need to go to an AT&T store to return the device from the NEXT program.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (1,056 Views)
Employee

Chen, what subsidy are you speaking about? If the customer iswithin 14 days they can return the device, pay a $35.00 restocking fee, request the upgrade be reversed and go to a 2 year. There is no subsidy on service.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6 (1,022 Views)
Employee

A customer only pays until the 12 month mark and then trades the device in and starts over. They are not responsible for paying any other costs for the previous next plan. If a customer ops to keep a device for the full 20 months they are still paying less than retail for the device. Ex: iPhone 5s 16g is $27/mo on next, after 20 months theyve paid $540.00 vs $649.99.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 6 (1,021 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.