Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 27, 2011
8:39:59 PM
View profile
It's Official, there is no AT&T 4G

After purchasing an Atrix 4G phone and not seeing speeds any faster than iPhone 3G users (and in most cases actually slower), I finally opened a ticket with AT&T wireless support.   Note that I  use my phone exclusively all over an area that is squarely in the 4G coverage area as depicted by AT&T online coverage  maps and that I always get the H+ icon on my phone indicating HSPA+ reception.

I actually gave them the benefit of the doubt, asking them if there was something I was doing wrong on my end, or maybe there was an  issue with my phone or service.

To their credit, the service people were sympathetic to my problem, tried to understand my concerns and how I was assessing their service, and overall worked hard to address the issue.  They even called me back as promised at schedule times.

Given the variety of responses (my service does not support 4G, our internal maps do not show any 4G, the maps are not exact, the H+ icon means 3G, LTE is not until later this year, etc. etc) I could tell that they had not really  been challenged on this issue before.  In fact, their efforts on researching my issue spanned more than a week.  All of the many people I talked to did not even realize that there was a 4G coverage map online!

So today I finally talked to a person who closed the ticket, basically saying that the 4G network (and I am talking HSPA+ here) is not ready yet.  Anywhere. She said that they are still in the process of setting it up.  This was after I led her through the AT&T online 4G coverage map and showed her how to see the little pop-ups that show the cities  where 4G is deployed.   She initially told me that it was not deployed where my address is located, then I pressed and asked for a location in the coverage area where it was deployed, so that I could test my phone.  Initially she said she did not have that information (by the way she was very pleasant and was not giving me a hard time or any attitude), and then admitted is was not available anywhere in the coverage area.  She even seemed to imply that it was not in ANY coverage area  yet.  

I also asked when it would be available.  She did go back and research that but came back and said that information was not available.  I very politely told her that I was disappointed that both her and I had to spend all of this time on the issue, when all AT&T would need to say on its web site is that 4G is not available yet  and coming soon.  Yet they continue to promote the HSPA+  service with words like "available now" , "up to 6Mbps", and displaying subtle little coverage pop-up maps all leading any casual (or even serious) web site visitor to believe that there is AT&T 4G.  Now.

So there you have it (and I have the support ticket number to prove it) there is no 4G.  The emperor has no clothes.

After purchasing an Atrix 4G phone and not seeing speeds any faster than iPhone 3G users (and in most cases actually slower), I finally opened a ticket with AT&T wireless support.   Note that I  use my phone exclusively all over an area that is squarely in the 4G coverage area as depicted by AT&T online coverage  maps and that I always get the H+ icon on my phone indicating HSPA+ reception.

I actually gave them the benefit of the doubt, asking them if there was something I was doing wrong on my end, or maybe there was an  issue with my phone or service.

To their credit, the service people were sympathetic to my problem, tried to understand my concerns and how I was assessing their service, and overall worked hard to address the issue.  They even called me back as promised at schedule times.

Given the variety of responses (my service does not support 4G, our internal maps do not show any 4G, the maps are not exact, the H+ icon means 3G, LTE is not until later this year, etc. etc) I could tell that they had not really  been challenged on this issue before.  In fact, their efforts on researching my issue spanned more than a week.  All of the many people I talked to did not even realize that there was a 4G coverage map online!

So today I finally talked to a person who closed the ticket, basically saying that the 4G network (and I am talking HSPA+ here) is not ready yet.  Anywhere. She said that they are still in the process of setting it up.  This was after I led her through the AT&T online 4G coverage map and showed her how to see the little pop-ups that show the cities  where 4G is deployed.   She initially told me that it was not deployed where my address is located, then I pressed and asked for a location in the coverage area where it was deployed, so that I could test my phone.  Initially she said she did not have that information (by the way she was very pleasant and was not giving me a hard time or any attitude), and then admitted is was not available anywhere in the coverage area.  She even seemed to imply that it was not in ANY coverage area  yet.  

I also asked when it would be available.  She did go back and research that but came back and said that information was not available.  I very politely told her that I was disappointed that both her and I had to spend all of this time on the issue, when all AT&T would need to say on its web site is that 4G is not available yet  and coming soon.  Yet they continue to promote the HSPA+  service with words like "available now" , "up to 6Mbps", and displaying subtle little coverage pop-up maps all leading any casual (or even serious) web site visitor to believe that there is AT&T 4G.  Now.

So there you have it (and I have the support ticket number to prove it) there is no 4G.  The emperor has no clothes.

It's Official, there is no AT&T 4G

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 3:17:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's sad, isn't it? Advertising such an advanced network technology and not living up to their claims or standards at ALL. I have no idea what to say, other than just "wait for AT&T's '4G' to roll out." They really should take the "4G" claims off of their website until this new "advanced" "4G" network is truly ready - and I mean fully accessible to many users around the country. Then AT&T won't end up tricking people and having angry customers.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

It's sad, isn't it? Advertising such an advanced network technology and not living up to their claims or standards at ALL. I have no idea what to say, other than just "wait for AT&T's '4G' to roll out." They really should take the "4G" claims off of their website until this new "advanced" "4G" network is truly ready - and I mean fully accessible to many users around the country. Then AT&T won't end up tricking people and having angry customers.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: It's Official, there is no AT&T 4G

2 of 13 (1,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 4:06:07 AM
(0)
Professor

Sad too, because this is exactly what they did with 3G/H. Clever marketing to get people signed up for coverage, etc then chnge the maps and decomissioning towers, etc or even redirect towers then say they never "promised" coverage. but you cant get out of that contract else high ETF.

Sad too, because this is exactly what they did with 3G/H. Clever marketing to get people signed up for coverage, etc then chnge the maps and decomissioning towers, etc or even redirect towers then say they never "promised" coverage. but you cant get out of that contract else high ETF.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

3 of 13 (1,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 3:52:04 PM
(0)
Expert

Hey, Wild Banchi!! Thanks for this. I wish ATT would have gotten their 3G straightned out first before even talking about 4G. Lately I've been having problems at my own home with LACK OF SIGNAL AND 3G. I think you've made up my mind about a 4G phone. I'm seriously considering switching carriers because after all of THIS time, I would have thought my service would have been BETTER and not WORSE... Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Hey, Wild Banchi!! Thanks for this. I wish ATT would have gotten their 3G straightned out first before even talking about 4G. Lately I've been having problems at my own home with LACK OF SIGNAL AND 3G. I think you've made up my mind about a 4G phone. I'm seriously considering switching carriers because after all of THIS time, I would have thought my service would have been BETTER and not WORSE... Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4 of 13 (1,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 4:29:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Hey, DCOOKIE LIVES! Long time no see!
Hey, DCOOKIE LIVES! Long time no see!

5 of 13 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 6:24:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Hey there, Dcookie! Nice to see you roamin' around again! Smiley Wink

But that does not sound good... I don't have the BEST signal at my house, but I can get by. I sure do hope that you can survive through this signal "disappearance". Hopefully, it will get better. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Hey there, Dcookie! Nice to see you roamin' around again! Smiley Wink

But that does not sound good... I don't have the BEST signal at my house, but I can get by. I sure do hope that you can survive through this signal "disappearance". Hopefully, it will get better. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 13 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 7:55:26 PM
(0)
Master
I am not even sure I saw real AT&T 3G in the brief time I had AT&T. In all the speed tests I did the download speeds weren't any faster than Verizon. The upload was quite a bit slower than Verizon. The interesting thing was I could have full bars on the AT&T phone and usually only two to three bars on Verizon. It was sad how messed up the truth about AT&T is compared to their PR materials
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I am not even sure I saw real AT&T 3G in the brief time I had AT&T. In all the speed tests I did the download speeds weren't any faster than Verizon. The upload was quite a bit slower than Verizon. The interesting thing was I could have full bars on the AT&T phone and usually only two to three bars on Verizon. It was sad how messed up the truth about AT&T is compared to their PR materials
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 13 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:00:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Its sad they can publish such and not get challenged for false advertisement. But every carrier ads say tyey are the fastest. But what good is being the fastest if they cripple the devices to depend solely on another service (wifi) for a decent connection.
Its sad they can publish such and not get challenged for false advertisement. But every carrier ads say tyey are the fastest. But what good is being the fastest if they cripple the devices to depend solely on another service (wifi) for a decent connection.

8 of 13 (1,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 4:17:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on May 5, 2011 at 4:18:13 AM

Ann154 wrote:

I too have been sorely disappointed in my "3G" experience.  My "3G" SE W518a is absolutely no faster than my 2G SEW580i in side by side comparisons.  In fact, in many cases it was actually slightly slower. Smiley Sad  And I'm in a 3G area, with "H" indicated on the display and do have the ability for simultaneous voice and data, so it is accessing the 3G network - it just seems throttled.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Ann154 wrote:

I too have been sorely disappointed in my "3G" experience.  My "3G" SE W518a is absolutely no faster than my 2G SEW580i in side by side comparisons.  In fact, in many cases it was actually slightly slower. Smiley Sad  And I'm in a 3G area, with "H" indicated on the display and do have the ability for simultaneous voice and data, so it is accessing the 3G network - it just seems throttled.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
9 of 13 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 4:24:42 AM
(0)
Professor
....throttled services.....but leave the reason to att..and "Its your phone...."
....throttled services.....but leave the reason to att..and "Its your phone...."

10 of 13 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 9:22:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

No provider has true 4G. HSPA+ (HSDPA), LTE, and WiMax isn't really considered 4G. They're all "3.5G".

With LTE slowly rolling out, and comparison to Verizon's LTE, Verizon users with non-LTE zones will have to fall back onto EV-DO, which is slow compared to AT&T's HSPA+ fallback (i.e. AT&T users with non-LTE zones).

Here's one of my speed tests:

Not bad or not too great. I've seen some results online (with AT&T, of course) that almost reach 10 Mb/s DL.

No provider has true 4G. HSPA+ (HSDPA), LTE, and WiMax isn't really considered 4G. They're all "3.5G".

With LTE slowly rolling out, and comparison to Verizon's LTE, Verizon users with non-LTE zones will have to fall back onto EV-DO, which is slow compared to AT&T's HSPA+ fallback (i.e. AT&T users with non-LTE zones).

Here's one of my speed tests:

Not bad or not too great. I've seen some results online (with AT&T, of course) that almost reach 10 Mb/s DL.

11 of 13 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 9:58:33 AM
(0)
Professor

hme83 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

It has been reported that AT&T has been capping the upload speed with it's devices for some time, with exception of the iPhone. I noticed this with my previous Windows device. It wasn't until they advertised an increased speed with the 4G devices that this hit the spotlight. When hspa+ proved to be an epic failure because of this, the heat was on. Any device that has the upload speed capped will see increased latency that will choke the download speeds. Before the update to my Inspire, I was getting download speeds of 2-3 mbps and now I'm getting 4-5 mbps and have actually broken 6 mbps during off peak hours.

hme83 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

It has been reported that AT&T has been capping the upload speed with it's devices for some time, with exception of the iPhone. I noticed this with my previous Windows device. It wasn't until they advertised an increased speed with the 4G devices that this hit the spotlight. When hspa+ proved to be an epic failure because of this, the heat was on. Any device that has the upload speed capped will see increased latency that will choke the download speeds. Before the update to my Inspire, I was getting download speeds of 2-3 mbps and now I'm getting 4-5 mbps and have actually broken 6 mbps during off peak hours.

12 of 13 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 11:34:45 AM
(0)
Teacher
And in addition to no 4g, they sold the Acer Aspire 722 netbook as a 4g deivce when in reality it has a 3g modem in it! They lied and suckered me into another 2 year contract with a machine that is not 4g and will not work on the network they really dont have!
And in addition to no 4g, they sold the Acer Aspire 722 netbook as a 4g deivce when in reality it has a 3g modem in it! They lied and suckered me into another 2 year contract with a machine that is not 4g and will not work on the network they really dont have!

13 of 13 (530 Views)