Issues with IMessage?

Tutor

Issues with IMessage?

In the last week both iPhones on my plan have been having issues sending messages. It will go about halfway through the sending stage and then stay there. At that point we have to reboot the phones in I order to push the messages through. Both phones are set to send as SMS if iMessage doesn't work but it's not auto switching. We live just outside of Albuquerque in Rio Rancho, NM. Is there a known issue in the area? Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Also, when I signed up, over a year ago, I was advised id be elg. for an upgrade in 20 months. I heard that it's now 24 months? Is this true? And if so do they not honor the agreement that was made at the time of signing up? If I've had my phone over a year (minus an insurance claim I made) shouldn't I be elg. for the financing option? My acct just says I am not elg at this time.

Thank you,
Stacy
Message 1 of 12 (1,041 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Issues with IMessage?

Sloconnor wrote:
In the last week both iPhones on my plan have been having issues sending messages. It will go about halfway through the sending stage and then stay there. At that point we have to reboot the phones in I order to push the messages through. Both phones are set to send as SMS if iMessage doesn't work but it's not auto switching. We live just outside of Albuquerque in Rio Rancho, NM. Is there a known issue in the area? Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Also, when I signed up, over a year ago, I was advised id be elg. for an upgrade in 20 months. I heard that it's now 24 months? Is this true? And if so do they not honor the agreement that was made at the time of signing up? If I've had my phone over a year (minus an insurance claim I made) shouldn't I be elg. for the financing option? My acct just says I am not elg at this time.

Thank you,
Stacy

IMessage service is provided by Apple, so if there is an issue it is most likely with Apple's iMessage servers. Now, if this only happens when you are on cellular data and does not happen when on wifi, that might indicate as issue with cellular data.

Regarding upgrade eligibility, yes it has been changed to 24 months. Whether you will still be eligible at 20 months depends on when your current contract expires. If it expires before March 1st, 2014, you should still be eligible for an upgrade at 20 months. If it expires after that date, your eligibility has probably been extended to 24 months. As for being eligible for the financing option, I presume you mean the AT&T Next program. You won't be eligible for Next until your current contract expires.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (1,014 Views)
Employee

I am having the same issue with only 1 of the 7 idevices I have - my iPhone 5 will not send an imessage.  Not sure what the issue is

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 12 (902 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hey try this - go to settings, general, reset (don't get nervous here) and then reset Network Settings - this will remove any saved wifi passwords and reset your network settings.  This worked for me.  I am now a happy camper.

Good luck

Brian

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 12 (899 Views)
ACE - Guru

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12 (896 Views)
ACE - Master

My wife's iphone 5 had this happen last night. If a message can't be sent, either imessage or sms message, normally the message app times out, tells you it was unsuccessful and then you have the option of sending again. For some reason, when attempting to send an imessage and it can't successfully deliver it, the message app would not time out. From what I've seen on the web, this issue has apparently been around since iMessage was introduced but it seems to have gotten worse with ios7.

Clearly there are continuing issues with the iMessage service but the message app hanging and not timing out, I think, is an issue with the message app.

Message 6 of 12 (894 Views)
Tutor

I tried, nothing. It's happening with boyfriends phone as well as my sisters. Ever since the update. She's on Tmobile so I'm wondering if it's due to the new software update. I'll try it again and see if it helps. Otherwise I will check the apple site :-). Thanks Brian!!

Stacy

Never make someone a priority when they view you as an option...
Message 7 of 12 (878 Views)
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hello Stacy,

The link posted above explains it all. Yes, manufacturer is aware of the issue and working on the fix. I've been seeing the same thing on my personal phone and I just have iMessage disabled until the fix is released.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 12 (867 Views)
Tutor

Yaaaaay!

We all reset network settings again. I think it helped a bit but had it happen again today. Can't wait till the fix comes :-).

Never make someone a priority when they view you as an option...
Message 9 of 12 (751 Views)
Contributor

Here's the best solution I came across so far. It worked for me! visionariny.com/insights.html Hope that helps!

Message 10 of 12 (709 Views)
ACE - Master

Resetting network settings, or following the instructions on your linked page, only helped me for about a day, then the problem would return.

I was in a discussion somewhere (here, Apple forums, or somewhere else, I'm not sure) where an observation was made that it appears that this problem is only happening to people who performed the update to iOS 7.0.2 OTA.  Since I had done that and I was having the problem that seemed to fit.  Also, my wife updated to iOS 7.0.2, but she did hers through iTunes, and she wasn't having the problem.  I don't know if this is "fact" or just coincidence.

Taking a chance, and only losing about an hour to do so, I connected my iPhone 5 to iTunes and made a full backup of it.  Next, I told iTunes to restore it to factory settings.  That took about 15-20 minutes to download the iOS update from Apple, and then it restored.  Once that finished, I let iTunes recover form the last full backup, so I really was only out the time it took.  It has only been about 24 hours since I did that, and I haven't sent/received too many messages, but the problem hasn't returned for me yet.We'll see if I make it through another day or two before I start suggesting this to others to try...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 11 of 12 (682 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I will try ANYTHING! Smiley Happy Thank you for posting that.

If there is one problem there has to be another! Now its pictures!

Apparently I'm not even receiving pictures! And any that i send are not
going through. I've reset the network settings twice now. I sent the same
group of pics to my sister, who has also updated and with a different
company, 5 times in 2 days and she's still not received!

Thanks!

--
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away." ~Hilary Cooper*
Message 12 of 12 (674 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.