Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 14, 2014
5:02:37 PM
View profile
Is there way I can upgrade early?

Ok so my contract is supposed to end in March. My phone cracked and it does not work, so I was wondering if I could upgrade early and get the iPhone 5S.

I called the upgrade line to see when I could upgrade and I got a text message that read:

"Congratulations! You are eligible for an installment upgrade today. You are also eligible for an upgrade with a partial discount off of the full retail price today or a greater discount on 03/21/2014."

What does this mean? Can I upgrade today without paying the full retail price? I'd like to pay the $199-399 for the iPhone rather than the full retail price.

If not, is there any way I could?

Ok so my contract is supposed to end in March. My phone cracked and it does not work, so I was wondering if I could upgrade early and get the iPhone 5S.

I called the upgrade line to see when I could upgrade and I got a text message that read:

"Congratulations! You are eligible for an installment upgrade today. You are also eligible for an upgrade with a partial discount off of the full retail price today or a greater discount on 03/21/2014."

What does this mean? Can I upgrade today without paying the full retail price? I'd like to pay the $199-399 for the iPhone rather than the full retail price.

Is there way I can upgrade early?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 7:24:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
That sounds like the NEXT program or early upgrade. The next program, you pay full price for phone in installments each month, at a point even before the phone is paid in full, you can upgrade to another phone the same way.
The early upgrade (partial discount), you pay the subsidized price ($199 to $399) plus the early upgrade fee of $250.
A better option would be to find a used smartphone that you can buy and use it until you are fully upgrade eligible.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
That sounds like the NEXT program or early upgrade. The next program, you pay full price for phone in installments each month, at a point even before the phone is paid in full, you can upgrade to another phone the same way.
The early upgrade (partial discount), you pay the subsidized price ($199 to $399) plus the early upgrade fee of $250.
A better option would be to find a used smartphone that you can buy and use it until you are fully upgrade eligible.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Is there way I can upgrade early?

2 of 10 (1,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:03:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I don't think that the OP would be eligible for Next since the contract isn't completed yet.  Early Upgrade should be an option, though.

I don't think that the OP would be eligible for Next since the contract isn't completed yet.  Early Upgrade should be an option, though.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (1,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 11:44:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
His account says he is eligible for an installment upgrade which I assumed was the NEXT program. Otherwise, what is an installment upgrade.
His account says he is eligible for an installment upgrade which I assumed was the NEXT program. Otherwise, what is an installment upgrade.

4 of 10 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:11:30 PM
(0)
Employee

There seems to be a small grey area AT&T is allowing for customers who were right on the cusp of upgrading, before change to the upgrade dates. People in that grey area seem to be able to get the AT&T Next. I imagine it's a temporary thing, and I don't know if it's even intentially or just an accident.

This is not based inside knowledge but rather just simply seeing a few accounts in similar contract dates with options for AT&T Next when they wouldn't otherwise have it.

-Alex

There seems to be a small grey area AT&T is allowing for customers who were right on the cusp of upgrading, before change to the upgrade dates. People in that grey area seem to be able to get the AT&T Next. I imagine it's a temporary thing, and I don't know if it's even intentially or just an accident.

This is not based inside knowledge but rather just simply seeing a few accounts in similar contract dates with options for AT&T Next when they wouldn't otherwise have it.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 10 (1,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:44:19 PM
(0)
Former Employee

gabriemac wrote:

The reply tells me you are eligible for either the Next program, which means paying full price for the iphone, or you are eligible for the early upgrade, which is the discounted priced of the iphone plus $250. In other words, if you want to get the $199 iphone, you would pay $199 + $250 on the early upgrade. With the early upgrade, you would start a new 2 year contract. With the Next program, no new contract.

gabriemac wrote:

The reply tells me you are eligible for either the Next program, which means paying full price for the iphone, or you are eligible for the early upgrade, which is the discounted priced of the iphone plus $250. In other words, if you want to get the $199 iphone, you would pay $199 + $250 on the early upgrade. With the early upgrade, you would start a new 2 year contract. With the Next program, no new contract.

6 of 10 (1,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:48:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kdfederer wrote:

Maybe you're right then.  I guess they use that wording since there are two different versions of the Next program now.

I just checked my upgrade eligibility and I have similar wording on my account.  I'm going to have to look into this, though I can't think of a phone that is out now that I definitely want and don't already have.

kdfederer wrote:

Maybe you're right then.  I guess they use that wording since there are two different versions of the Next program now.

I just checked my upgrade eligibility and I have similar wording on my account.  I'm going to have to look into this, though I can't think of a phone that is out now that I definitely want and don't already have.

7 of 10 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 7:12:30 AM
(0)
Professor

loganic wrote:

-Alex

This is correct. I have a line that was not eligible for the typical subsidized upgrade option yet, but I was able to early upgrade that line using the AT&T Next program.

loganic wrote:

-Alex

This is correct. I have a line that was not eligible for the typical subsidized upgrade option yet, but I was able to early upgrade that line using the AT&T Next program.

8 of 10 (1,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 10:09:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Check and find out what the Early termination Fee is for your line. You're so close it might be cheaper to pay the fee and then get a new account then to do NEXT or to Early upgrade (Cost of phone + 250? Insane. Spend the $250 and get full upgrade price as a "new" customer).
Check and find out what the Early termination Fee is for your line. You're so close it might be cheaper to pay the fee and then get a new account then to do NEXT or to Early upgrade (Cost of phone + 250? Insane. Spend the $250 and get full upgrade price as a "new" customer).

9 of 10 (1,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 5:29:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Except you can't do that. If you early terminate your line, you lose your phone number and you can't open a new AT&T account for a period of 6 months or they go back to the old contract.
Except you can't do that. If you early terminate your line, you lose your phone number and you can't open a new AT&T account for a period of 6 months or they go back to the old contract.

10 of 10 (1,088 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments