Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 1, 2013
3:39:36 AM
View profile
Is there no takers on my question?? Verizon phone to at&t go plan or prepaid?

Hi all again. Was woundering, I asked Question if I could bring my Verizon galaxy s3 to AT&T prepaid. Weather it will work on AT&T.  When  checking my Post today, Message said my origianal post was moved so it could be seen better. But, to where? Here in Prepaid? Must not be any takers on my question because no comments. Must not be able to bring said phone to at&t. Wish I could. Thanks anyway.

Hi all again. Was woundering, I asked Question if I could bring my Verizon galaxy s3 to AT&T prepaid. Weather it will work on AT&T.  When  checking my Post today, Message said my origianal post was moved so it could be seen better. But, to where? Here in Prepaid? Must not be any takers on my question because no comments. Must not be able to bring said phone to at&t. Wish I could. Thanks anyway.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 1, 2013 5:45:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, the VZW phone will not work on AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Is there no takers on my question?? Verizon phone to at&t go plan or prepaid?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 1, 2013 5:45:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Is there no takers on my question?? Verizon phone to at&t go plan or prepaid?

2 of 3 (5,313 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 9:02:42 AM
(0)
Employee

Verizon runs on a CDMA(Code Division Multiple Access) Network, where as AT&T is GSM (Global System for Mobiles)Network.Tthese are shorthand for the two major radio systems used in cell phones. This makes Verizon phones not compatible on AT&T Network and vice versa.

Five of the top seven carriers in the U.S. use CDMA: Verizon Wireless, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, and U.S. Cellular. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

That means we're mostly a CDMA country. It also means we're not part of the norm, because most of the world is GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium. What we call CDMA, by and large, is owned by chipmaker Qualcomm. This made it less expensive for third parties to build GSM equipment.

There are several variants and options carriers can choose, like toppings on their technological ice cream. In this story we'll be talking about U.S. networks.

For call quality, the technology you use is much less important than the way your carrier has built its network. There are good and bad CDMA and GSM networks, but there are key differences between the technologies. Here's what you, as a consumer, need to know.

It's much easier to swap phones on GSM networks, because GSM carriers put customer information on a removable SIM card. Take the card out, put it in a different phone, and the new phone now has your number. What's more, to be considered GSM, a carrier must accept any GSM-compliant phone. So the GSM carriers don't have total control of the phone you're using.

Verizon runs on a CDMA(Code Division Multiple Access) Network, where as AT&T is GSM (Global System for Mobiles)Network.Tthese are shorthand for the two major radio systems used in cell phones. This makes Verizon phones not compatible on AT&T Network and vice versa.

Five of the top seven carriers in the U.S. use CDMA: Verizon Wireless, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, and U.S. Cellular. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

That means we're mostly a CDMA country. It also means we're not part of the norm, because most of the world is GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium. What we call CDMA, by and large, is owned by chipmaker Qualcomm. This made it less expensive for third parties to build GSM equipment.

There are several variants and options carriers can choose, like toppings on their technological ice cream. In this story we'll be talking about U.S. networks.

For call quality, the technology you use is much less important than the way your carrier has built its network. There are good and bad CDMA and GSM networks, but there are key differences between the technologies. Here's what you, as a consumer, need to know.

It's much easier to swap phones on GSM networks, because GSM carriers put customer information on a removable SIM card. Take the card out, put it in a different phone, and the new phone now has your number. What's more, to be considered GSM, a carrier must accept any GSM-compliant phone. So the GSM carriers don't have total control of the phone you're using.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Is there no takers on my question?? Verizon phone to at&t go plan or prepaid?

3 of 3 (5,128 Views)