Is there anyway I can use my current Smartphone with no data plan ?

Teacher

Is there anyway I can use my current Smartphone with no data plan ?

Hi,

I think I have to buy a regular phone so I don't have to pay for a data plan, but I just want to make sure before I go out and buy another phone.

Basically, is there anyway I can use my current smartphone (Samsung Focus S) as a "Regular Phone" so I don't have to pay a montly data plan. Could I just turn of the data usage on the phone?

I hardly use my data plan, which is why I want to cancel it. I only use my phone under WiFi. 

Or no matter what, do you have to have a data plan for smart phones?

If I can just limit my smartphone to talk and text, i am ok with that too if that means no data plan fees. 

Message 1 of 3 (1,052 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Is there anyway I can use my current Smartphone with no data plan ?

Unfortunately, No, at least not on regular phone plans. It can only be done on the pay as you go plans.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (1,042 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Is there anyway I can use my current Smartphone with no data plan ?

You can chat with someone online about your current plans. You can change your plan, possibly there is a better cheaper plan you could be on. They have a plan if you with unlimited text unlimited talk and 300mb of data. This is a plan called Mobile Share I actually have this plan because I have wifi at home, so I don't really use a lot of phone data it's $70 a month.

Message 3 of 3 (1,010 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.