Ask a question

Posted Jan 17, 2013
    11:40:29 AM
    View profile
    Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

I was told that sms between iphones under att plan is free.  could anyone verify this?  thanks.

Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

20 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (20)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 17, 2013 12:35:13 PM
    (0)
    Expert

jianlin wrote:

I was told that sms between iphones under att plan is free.  could anyone verify this?  thanks.

Iphones use Imessage, which utilize data to transfer between iphones so there is no need for a text message system. but tosend text messages to any other phone it utilizes sms which is chargable if you do not have a text plan. SMS is not free

Re: Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

2 of 21 (2,333 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 17, 2013 1:50:56 PM
    (0)
    Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

jianlin wrote:

Iphones use Imessage, which utilize data to transfer between iphones so there is no need for a text message system. but tosend text messages to any other phone it utilizes sms which is chargable if you do not have a text plan. SMS is not free

As Wingrider said, SMS messages are not free but iMessage messages are (except for whatever data they use). The iphone will send via iMessage when sending to another iphone or Apple device but will revert to SMS if iMessage is not available unless you go to Settings/Messages and set "Send as SMS" to off. You need to make sure other iphone users do they same thing.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 21 (2,305 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 4:54:39 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi,

I was told by an ATT representative that iMessage is only free when you are on Wifi.

Suppose the Sender is on Wifi and the Receiver is on CellularData. I was told that the Sender will NOT be charged but the Recevier will be charged. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

4 of 21 (1,559 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 5:04:04 PM
    (0)
    Employee

user5678 wrote:

Hi,

I was told by an ATT representative that iMessage is only free when you are on Wifi.

Suppose the Sender is on Wifi and the Receiver is on CellularData. I was told that the Sender will NOT be charged but the Recevier will be charged. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

No, neither sender or receiver is charged. The receiver will use up some of their data plan but there is no extra charge unless they go over their data plan, but that would be for additional data, not a charge for the iMessage. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 21 (1,552 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 5:07:15 PM
    (0)
    Expert

user5678 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Imessage only utilizes data when you are communicating apple device to apple device. If the receiving device is not on wifi then it uses the cellular data, if the recieving device is not an apple product it utilizes sms/mms texting plan.  So yes the recieving device will be dinged on the data plan

6 of 21 (1,550 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 5:11:44 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I was told by an ATT representive Reciever will be charged and she gave me the Apple contact number to confirm. I have 3 months of bills to show I am being charged.

How about if the Receiver has:

1. iMessage turned ON,

2. "Send as SMS" turned OFF

3. Cellular Data turned OFF

4. No Wifi

Now if the Sender on Wifi sends an iMessage will the Receiver be charged? I guess this is what is happening in our case.

7 of 21 (1,550 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 5:12:44 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Both Sender and Receiver are using iPhone5

8 of 21 (1,550 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 6:26:21 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    If the sender has "send as SMS" turned on the message will be sent as SMS due to the receiver having no data signal so the receiver will receive the message as a SMS and be charged.

9 of 21 (1,519 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 6:34:01 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    But the Sender (me) does NOT have "Send as SMS" turned ON. Still the Receiver gets the message as SMS and is charged

10 of 21 (1,515 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 6:40:16 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I would think if the sender had "send as SMS" turned off the message would never be sent.

11 of 21 (1,513 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 7:11:39 PM
    (0)
    Employee

gphipps wrote:
    I would think if the sender had "send as SMS" turned off the message would never be sent.

That is only true if the sending phone knows that the receiving phone can be reached by iMessage. In other words, even with "send as SMS" off, you can still send an SMS to a non-iPhone. If the sending iPhone does not know that the receiving phone is iMessage capable, it will send as SMS. 

12 of 21 (1,500 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 7:15:11 PM
    (0)
    Employee

user5678 wrote:
    But the Sender (me) does NOT have "Send as SMS" turned ON. Still the Receiver gets the message as SMS and is charged

When you send to them, what color is the outgoing message? Blue means it was sent as an iMessage. Green means it was sent as SMS. Also, what exactly are they being charged? Is it $0.20 or do they just see it as data usage?

13 of 21 (1,497 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 8:20:24 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    The ones that I am being charged for are Green. The ones that I am NOT being charged for are Blue. Why would a iPhone-2-iPhone txt via iMessage ever be Green?

We are on a "pay as you use" plan for text so we are being charged $0.20 per message.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that if you have "Cellular Data" OFF & No WiFi, you will get charged for msgs via iDevice/iMessage.

14 of 21 (1,465 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 3:29:22 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Does the sender have your number listed as an iPhone? If not and the receiver has no data signal the senders phone has no way of knowing the receiver is an iPhone and thus doesn't use iMessage.

15 of 21 (1,418 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 4:41:47 AM
    (0)
    Employee

user5678 wrote:
    The ones that I am being charged for are Green. The ones that I am NOT being charged for are Blue. Why would a iPhone-2-iPhone txt via iMessage ever be Green?

We are on a "pay as you use" plan for text so we are being charged $0.20 per message.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that if you have "Cellular Data" OFF & No WiFi, you will get charged for msgs via iDevice/iMessage.

Green means it is not iMessage, it is SMS. You are right, if you have cellular data off and no wifi, then there is no way for the sending phone to verify the recipient is iMessage capable and therefore it sends as SMS. In other words, it ignores the "don't send as SMS" setting because it can't connect to iMessage. I thought the iPhone would "remember" which addressee's are iMessage and which are not, but it sounds like it must verify each time you send a message. You must have access to data for iMessage to work. 

16 of 21 (1,404 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 5:33:46 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

The Recevier's phone is listed as "iPhone" in Contacts. Is there more to it?

17 of 21 (1,388 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 7:14:50 AM
    (0)
    Expert

user5678 wrote:

The Recevier's phone is listed as "iPhone" in Contacts. Is there more to it?

If the sending Imessage app cannot contact the Apple servers that handle this messaging application it will automaticly send it as a sms message no matter what. Does not matter if it is apple to apple or not. makes no difference what is listed in the contacts, the app decides when it pings the Apple servers

18 of 21 (1,374 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 7:50:12 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

What's the purpose of "Send as SMS" option on the iPhone then?

I'd imagine if I am NOT on WiFi, have "Cellular Data" turned OFF & "Send as SMS" OFF then the msg on iMessage should not be sent or at least be warned.

19 of 21 (1,365 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 9:39:29 AM
    (0)
    Employee

user5678 wrote:

I'd imagine if I am NOT on WiFi, have "Cellular Data" turned OFF & "Send as SMS" OFF then the msg on iMessage should not be sent or at least be warned.

No, it does not work that way. The "Send as SMS" setting only applies when the iphone is able to connect to iMessage and it needs wifi or cellular data active to do that. Unlike SMS, iMessage tracks whether your message is delivered or not. If it is not delivered, then the message app sends via SMS unless the "Send as SMS" is off. However, If it can't connect to iMessage to begin with, that is the same as having iMessage turned off in which case all messages will be sent via SMS.

20 of 21 (1,346 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 9:43:49 AM
    (0)
    Expert

user5678 wrote:

send as sms is not what you think, with this on and Imessage cannot contact the apple servers to send the message to another Apple device it will automaticly send the message as a sms, it is off, the message will not be sent at all to the targeted Apple device.

It has nothing to do with sending sms messages to anything but other Apple device. SMS does not need data since it piggybacks off the voice channel, the only part that uses data is a mms message - a sms message with a graphic or audio fiel attached.

21 of 21 (1,344 Views)