Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

Contributor

Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

I was told that sms between iphones under att plan is free.  could anyone verify this?  thanks.

Message 1 of 21 (2,826 Views)
Expert

Re: Is the sms between iphones free under any plan?

jianlin wrote:

I was told that sms between iphones under att plan is free.  could anyone verify this?  thanks.

Iphones use Imessage, which utilize data to transfer between iphones so there is no need for a text message system. but tosend text messages to any other phone it utilizes sms which is chargable if you do not have a text plan. SMS is not free

Message 2 of 21 (2,809 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

jianlin wrote:

Iphones use Imessage, which utilize data to transfer between iphones so there is no need for a text message system. but tosend text messages to any other phone it utilizes sms which is chargable if you do not have a text plan. SMS is not free

As Wingrider said, SMS messages are not free but iMessage messages are (except for whatever data they use). The iphone will send via iMessage when sending to another iphone or Apple device but will revert to SMS if iMessage is not available unless you go to Settings/Messages and set "Send as SMS" to off. You need to make sure other iphone users do they same thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 21 (2,781 Views)
Tutor

Hi,

I was told by an ATT representative that iMessage is only free when you are on Wifi.

Suppose the Sender is on Wifi and the Receiver is on CellularData. I was told that the Sender will NOT be charged but the Recevier will be charged. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 21 (2,035 Views)
ACE - Master

user5678 wrote:

Hi,

I was told by an ATT representative that iMessage is only free when you are on Wifi.

Suppose the Sender is on Wifi and the Receiver is on CellularData. I was told that the Sender will NOT be charged but the Recevier will be charged. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

No, neither sender or receiver is charged. The receiver will use up some of their data plan but there is no extra charge unless they go over their data plan, but that would be for additional data, not a charge for the iMessage. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 21 (2,028 Views)
Expert

user5678 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Imessage only utilizes data when you are communicating apple device to apple device. If the receiving device is not on wifi then it uses the cellular data, if the recieving device is not an apple product it utilizes sms/mms texting plan.  So yes the recieving device will be dinged on the data plan
Message 6 of 21 (2,026 Views)
Tutor

I was told by an ATT representive Reciever will be charged and she gave me the Apple contact number to confirm. I have 3 months of bills to show I am being charged.

How about if the Receiver has:

1. iMessage turned ON,

2. "Send as SMS" turned OFF

3. Cellular Data turned OFF

4. No Wifi

Now if the Sender on Wifi sends an iMessage will the Receiver be charged? I guess this is what is happening in our case.

Message 7 of 21 (2,026 Views)
Tutor

Both Sender and Receiver are using iPhone5

Message 8 of 21 (2,026 Views)
Scholar

If the sender has "send as SMS" turned on the message will be sent as SMS due to the receiver having no data signal so the receiver will receive the message as a SMS and be charged.
Message 9 of 21 (1,995 Views)
Tutor

But the Sender (me) does NOT have "Send as SMS" turned ON. Still the Receiver gets the message as SMS and is charged
Message 10 of 21 (1,991 Views)
Scholar

I would think if the sender had "send as SMS" turned off the message would never be sent.
Message 11 of 21 (1,989 Views)
ACE - Master

gphipps wrote:
I would think if the sender had "send as SMS" turned off the message would never be sent.

That is only true if the sending phone knows that the receiving phone can be reached by iMessage. In other words, even with "send as SMS" off, you can still send an SMS to a non-iPhone. If the sending iPhone does not know that the receiving phone is iMessage capable, it will send as SMS. 

Message 12 of 21 (1,976 Views)
ACE - Master

user5678 wrote:
But the Sender (me) does NOT have "Send as SMS" turned ON. Still the Receiver gets the message as SMS and is charged

When you send to them, what color is the outgoing message? Blue means it was sent as an iMessage. Green means it was sent as SMS. Also, what exactly are they being charged? Is it $0.20 or do they just see it as data usage?

Message 13 of 21 (1,973 Views)
Tutor

The ones that I am being charged for are Green. The ones that I am NOT being charged for are Blue. Why would a iPhone-2-iPhone txt via iMessage ever be Green?

We are on a "pay as you use" plan for text so we are being charged $0.20 per message.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that if you have "Cellular Data" OFF & No WiFi, you will get charged for msgs via iDevice/iMessage.
Message 14 of 21 (1,941 Views)
Scholar

Does the sender have your number listed as an iPhone? If not and the receiver has no data signal the senders phone has no way of knowing the receiver is an iPhone and thus doesn't use iMessage.
Message 15 of 21 (1,894 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.