Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2013
10:21:58 AM
Is AT&T Wireless really going to buy out Cricket?
Edited by callie.crk.kuczek on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:24:01 AM

I was on PhoneScoop.com earlier and read an article about AT&T in the works to buy out Cricket.  Is this true?  Would AT&T gradually convert everything that Cricket has to GSM?  I am just wondering because I have a couple of friends who use Cricket and I am wondering if their service would be effected.

I was on PhoneScoop.com earlier and read an article about AT&T in the works to buy out Cricket.  Is this true?  Would AT&T gradually convert everything that Cricket has to GSM?  I am just wondering because I have a couple of friends who use Cricket and I am wondering if their service would be effected.

Is AT&T Wireless really going to buy out Cricket?

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 2:15:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Yes it is true as per: http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=24533&newsarticleid=36744

If everything goes well with regulators, Leap Wireless will become part of AT&T. It is unknown if they will convert users to use GSM but they plan to expand the Cricket name into additional markets from what I've read. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Yes it is true as per: http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=24533&newsarticleid=36744

If everything goes well with regulators, Leap Wireless will become part of AT&T. It is unknown if they will convert users to use GSM but they plan to expand the Cricket name into additional markets from what I've read. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Is AT&T Wireless really going to buy out Cricket?

2 of 14 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 9:37:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by callie.crk.kuczek on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:42:18 AM

I just tried to access that page that you gave me the link for.  It will not open.  Thanks for confirming the information, though.

I just tried to access that page that you gave me the link for.  It will not open.  Thanks for confirming the information, though.

[ Edited ]
3 of 14 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:05:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hmm odd! Opened ok for me 0.0 Might be cause it is a mobile link
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hmm odd! Opened ok for me 0.0 Might be cause it is a mobile link
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 14 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:09:18 PM
(0)
Expert

I tried it too and here's what it says on the ATT page...

Page Not Found

The page you're looking for has moved,
been replaced, or is currently unavailable
to view.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Page Not Found

The page you're looking for has moved,
to view.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

5 of 14 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:19:37 PM
(0)

Opened just fine for me.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Opened just fine for me.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

6 of 14 (1,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 2:24:22 AM
(0)
Master

Dcookie wrote:

Page Not Found The page you're looking for has moved,
to view.

It fails for me too.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

Dcookie wrote:

to view.

It fails for me too.

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 14 (1,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 2:29:46 AM
(0)
Master

This one works for me. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24533&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36744&mapcode=corporate|financia...

PS I'm not posting from an HTC myTouch 4G Slide. Wrong manufacturer. Wrong form factor. 

This one works for me. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24533&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36744&mapcode=corporate|financial

PS I'm not posting from an HTC myTouch 4G Slide. Wrong manufacturer. Wrong form factor. 

8 of 14 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 9:43:30 AM
(0)
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

to view.

It fails for me too.

Thanks, Ann154...I didn't think I was going goofy, yet. Smiley Very Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Ann154 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

to view.

It fails for me too.

Thanks, Ann154...I didn't think I was going goofy, yet. Smiley Very Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

9 of 14 (1,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 9:50:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

I wonder if this buy out is going to change things for Cricket in terms of what frequencies will be used: GSM or CDMA?

I wonder if this buy out is going to change things for Cricket in terms of what frequencies will be used: GSM or CDMA?

10 of 14 (965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 7:24:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Not a guarantee but my guess would be yes. AT&T is a GSM carrier and would most likely convert those towers for extra coverage in those markets. So while they would keep the Cricket name, the service would run on AT&T's towers.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Not a guarantee but my guess would be yes. AT&T is a GSM carrier and would most likely convert those towers for extra coverage in those markets. So while they would keep the Cricket name, the service would run on AT&T's towers.

11 of 14 (951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 9:30:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

Okay.  So would my friends have to buy new phones?  I know that Cricket currently runs on CDMA and AT&T runs on GSM.  The reason I ask is because some of the CDMA phones are now being made to run on both frequencies, but I know the GSM part only works if the person is abroad.

Okay.  So would my friends have to buy new phones?  I know that Cricket currently runs on CDMA and AT&T runs on GSM.  The reason I ask is because some of the CDMA phones are now being made to run on both frequencies, but I know the GSM part only works if the person is abroad.

12 of 14 (920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 1:28:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Well I think we should first wait for the FCC to give the ok, as it may still be struck down or the deal as a whole may have to be tinkered with.

But in the past acquisitions, AT&T has sent letters to customers and offered them a selection of devices from free to low cost. Not saying this will happen guaranteed though
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Well I think we should first wait for the FCC to give the ok, as it may still be struck down or the deal as a whole may have to be tinkered with.

But in the past acquisitions, AT&T has sent letters to customers and offered them a selection of devices from free to low cost. Not saying this will happen guaranteed though

13 of 14 (910 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 3:33:37 PM
(0)
Master
As Evandela mentioned, AT&T will send out letters when and if it is time to select devices. I wouldn't worry about it until then.
As Evandela mentioned, AT&T will send out letters when and if it is time to select devices. I wouldn't worry about it until then.

14 of 14 (900 Views)