Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
7:51:45 AM
View profile
Iphone5 draining battery life

I have an Iphone5 and  have done all the little tips and tricks in my settings to help sustain battery life. Now I have a smartphone that isn't being used as such since everything is turned off. After a full charge I might get 30 minutes of internet usage and 2 1/2 hours standby time. I am beyond frustrated. This issue started happening about 3 weeks ago just out of the blue. 

For example, I need to leave my phone charging when I go to bed at night so I know for sure that my battery will be charged in order for the alarm to wake me the folllowing morning. After unpluging at 6:15 my battery will be dead around 8:30....Now if I don't use my phone at all for anything, it will stay charged about 8 hours.  

Once my phone hits 30% consider it done. It quickly jumps to 20% and shuts off. I have tried what some ppl called "calibrating the battery" by letting it go fully dead, charging, turning off blah blah. 

I'm guessing my next stop is the Apple store in the morning. 

I have an Iphone5 and  have done all the little tips and tricks in my settings to help sustain battery life. Now I have a smartphone that isn't being used as such since everything is turned off. After a full charge I might get 30 minutes of internet usage and 2 1/2 hours standby time. I am beyond frustrated. This issue started happening about 3 weeks ago just out of the blue. 

For example, I need to leave my phone charging when I go to bed at night so I know for sure that my battery will be charged in order for the alarm to wake me the folllowing morning. After unpluging at 6:15 my battery will be dead around 8:30....Now if I don't use my phone at all for anything, it will stay charged about 8 hours.  

Once my phone hits 30% consider it done. It quickly jumps to 20% and shuts off. I have tried what some ppl called "calibrating the battery" by letting it go fully dead, charging, turning off blah blah. 

Iphone5 draining battery life

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 10:24:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

bamadeb71 wrote:

Hmmmm, did this just start happening?  When you upgraded to iOS 7?  How old it is, 1 year?

bamadeb71 wrote:

Hmmmm, did this just start happening?  When you upgraded to iOS 7?  How old it is, 1 year?

Re: Iphone5 draining battery life

2 of 5 (1,663 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 1:35:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have an iPhone 5 and I have not seen the dramatic decrease in battery life you see.  The things I know that can cause a rapid battery drain are things like:

1. Leaving the screen on.  The screen is probably the largest drain on the battery.
  2. Next up for drain are probably the wireless radios.  If you are using the wireless radios a lot, or if they are trying to connect to a signal that isn't there or is very weak, that can drain the battery quickly.  I used to work in a large warehouse where the AT&T signal was bad, and my battery would drain very fast because the cellular radio was always seraching for service.
  3. The GPSr/Location Services.  Using Location Services in the highest accuracy setting turns on the GPSr in the iPhone and will drain the battery almost as fast as the screen being on will drain it.  If I am using the GPSr in my iPhone, I'm lucket to get 2-3 hourse of usage from my iPhone before the battery dies.
  4. Having a "hung" background task.  Quite often when an app hangs, it may leave the CPU running at a higher state (does yoru phone feel warm to the touch?).  It is also possible that you have a transmission that is failing & re-trying over and over again.  I had this happen once with my iPhone 3G years ago.  There was an email with an attachment that would try to send, fail, and re-try again 10-15 minutes later.  I was draining the battery and eating through cellular data (which didn't matter at that time because you had to have unlimited data even if you only used 100-200MB/month).

One last opservation I have made is that for me if I update my iOS on an iPhone OTA (Over The Air) it seems to have a problem with battery drain, but if I attach the device to iTunes and do the update that way, I don't tend to have issues.  If I do the update OTA, I can just connect to iTunes, doe a full backup, then restore it from the backup I just made and it seems to resolve the battery drain issue.  I have also had pretty good luck performing a "Reset Network Settings" (it will automatically restart the iPhone when you do this).  After the reset is finished, I will manually perform a device restart (hold the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen).  After that, I charge the battery to full and it seems to work properly, other than that I need to manually re-add my wireless networks again.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I have an iPhone 5 and I have not seen the dramatic decrease in battery life you see.  The things I know that can cause a rapid battery drain are things like:

1. Leaving the screen on.  The screen is probably the largest drain on the battery.
  2. Next up for drain are probably the wireless radios.  If you are using the wireless radios a lot, or if they are trying to connect to a signal that isn't there or is very weak, that can drain the battery quickly.  I used to work in a large warehouse where the AT&T signal was bad, and my battery would drain very fast because the cellular radio was always seraching for service.
  3. The GPSr/Location Services.  Using Location Services in the highest accuracy setting turns on the GPSr in the iPhone and will drain the battery almost as fast as the screen being on will drain it.  If I am using the GPSr in my iPhone, I'm lucket to get 2-3 hourse of usage from my iPhone before the battery dies.
  4. Having a "hung" background task.  Quite often when an app hangs, it may leave the CPU running at a higher state (does yoru phone feel warm to the touch?).  It is also possible that you have a transmission that is failing & re-trying over and over again.  I had this happen once with my iPhone 3G years ago.  There was an email with an attachment that would try to send, fail, and re-try again 10-15 minutes later.  I was draining the battery and eating through cellular data (which didn't matter at that time because you had to have unlimited data even if you only used 100-200MB/month).

One last opservation I have made is that for me if I update my iOS on an iPhone OTA (Over The Air) it seems to have a problem with battery drain, but if I attach the device to iTunes and do the update that way, I don't tend to have issues.  If I do the update OTA, I can just connect to iTunes, doe a full backup, then restore it from the backup I just made and it seems to resolve the battery drain issue.  I have also had pretty good luck performing a "Reset Network Settings" (it will automatically restart the iPhone when you do this).  After the reset is finished, I will manually perform a device restart (hold the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen).  After that, I charge the battery to full and it seems to work properly, other than that I need to manually re-add my wireless networks again.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (1,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 6:24:37 AM
(0)
Voyager

I'm assuming you've killed all the active processes and are still having problems. Apple has a troubleshooter that runs on your phone, which is how I discovered my battery wasn't holding a full charge. You can find it at https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action. If you would rather navigate to this location, go to the apple site, click on support, then the iPhone logo, then Contact Support on the left menu, then "get started" under Apple Support.

Click on Battery, Power and Charging, and finally Battery Questions or Troubleshooting. You'll see an option to "Send apple your serial number...". Follow the instructions from there.

I'm assuming you've killed all the active processes and are still having problems. Apple has a troubleshooter that runs on your phone, which is how I discovered my battery wasn't holding a full charge. You can find it at https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action. If you would rather navigate to this location, go to the apple site, click on support, then the iPhone logo, then Contact Support on the left menu, then "get started" under Apple Support.

Click on Battery, Power and Charging, and finally Battery Questions or Troubleshooting. You'll see an option to "Send apple your serial number...". Follow the instructions from there.

4 of 5 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 9:56:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Go to the apple site, click on support, then the iPhone logo, then Contact Support on the left menu, then get started under Apple Support.

Go to the apple site, click on support, then the iPhone logo, then Contact Support on the left menu, then get started under Apple Support.

5 of 5 (1,134 Views)