Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 8, 2013
7:22:48 PM
View profile
Iphone reported stolen after 2 weeks

I have been with at&T for the past 5 years, I am very dissapointed with at&t . I Recently Purchased an iphone 5s from craigslist .The phone came with the box and all the accessories, since I had bad experiance in the past, I called at&t to verify the imei is clean and the phone is not reported. The at&t customer care gave me OK to purchase the phone and assured it had not black listed nor reported. Since the phone came with the original box and accessories I made the purchase and I was sure he is the original owner.

After 2 weeks the phone got shut off ,I called at&t and the customer care told me the phone has reported stolen and I no longer could use it. Then i tried explaining the representative  that they gave me OK to purchase the phone and then as always they are not responsible.They wanted the original owner to call to activate the phone. of course his phone is not reachable . After continues calls to at&t i was helpless i had to make a police complaint .The police officer spoke to at&t  and the officer learnt that the original owner trying to make an insurance fraud and the officer tried to explain it to the representative but he ignored and he was pointing craigslist.

It is extremely unfair to me and if this continues i think there will be more insurance frauds in future and at&t should have a investigation team to be fair with both sides and a system to trasfer owner ship. 

I am helpless with spending $500.00 and the phone is of no use anymore. I want the community to be aware of this and I hope ATT takes some responsibilty in protecting there customers. ATT has to investigate theft complain and further investigate. It truly is very sad........ 

I have been with at&T for the past 5 years, I am very dissapointed with at&t . I Recently Purchased an iphone 5s from craigslist .The phone came with the box and all the accessories, since I had bad experiance in the past, I called at&t to verify the imei is clean and the phone is not reported. The at&t customer care gave me OK to purchase the phone and assured it had not black listed nor reported. Since the phone came with the original box and accessories I made the purchase and I was sure he is the original owner.

After 2 weeks the phone got shut off ,I called at&t and the customer care told me the phone has reported stolen and I no longer could use it. Then i tried explaining the representative  that they gave me OK to purchase the phone and then as always they are not responsible.They wanted the original owner to call to activate the phone. of course his phone is not reachable . After continues calls to at&t i was helpless i had to make a police complaint .The police officer spoke to at&t  and the officer learnt that the original owner trying to make an insurance fraud and the officer tried to explain it to the representative but he ignored and he was pointing craigslist.

It is extremely unfair to me and if this continues i think there will be more insurance frauds in future and at&t should have a investigation team to be fair with both sides and a system to trasfer owner ship. 

I am helpless with spending $500.00 and the phone is of no use anymore. I want the community to be aware of this and I hope ATT takes some responsibilty in protecting there customers. ATT has to investigate theft complain and further investigate. It truly is very sad........ 

Iphone reported stolen after 2 weeks

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 8:09:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If what you are saying is true, it is not AT&T's fault. When someone reports the phone stolen, it is blacklisted. You need to contact the seller and the seller's insurance company and have them refund your money.
File a small claim complaint against the seller of the phone.
Everyone here is well aware of the attempted fraud that goes on and most will not buy a phone off craigslist because of all the problems. I will not buy something like that with cash. I would use a credit card because that gives you some recourse if the seller perpetrates a fraud.
It is not AT&T's responsibility.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If what you are saying is true, it is not AT&T's fault. When someone reports the phone stolen, it is blacklisted. You need to contact the seller and the seller's insurance company and have them refund your money.
File a small claim complaint against the seller of the phone.
Everyone here is well aware of the attempted fraud that goes on and most will not buy a phone off craigslist because of all the problems. I will not buy something like that with cash. I would use a credit card because that gives you some recourse if the seller perpetrates a fraud.
It is not AT&T's responsibility.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iphone reported stolen after 2 weeks

2 of 7 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 8:24:25 PM
(0)
Master
You tried to do the right thing to verify it was a legit sale and purchase but I would agree it is between you and the seller and not AT&T. You may need to take the seller to court.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
You tried to do the right thing to verify it was a legit sale and purchase but I would agree it is between you and the seller and not AT&T. You may need to take the seller to court.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 7 (820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 11:11:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by MR_SMiT on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:18:35 PM

Where did you have "bad experience?" If you are willing to spend $500, you should have gone directly to the online or physical Apple Store to buy your iPhone 5S. Unless you still under contract, cannot upgrade.Smiley Wink

Where did you have "bad experience?" If you are willing to spend $500, you should have gone directly to the online or physical Apple Store to buy your iPhone 5S. Unless you still under contract, cannot upgrade.Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:25:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

MR_SMiT wrote:

Where did you have "bad experience?" If you are willing to spend $500, you should have gone directly to the online or physical Apple Store to buy your iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S just came in September, why would anybody selling them on craigslist, now?Smiley Surprised

Why? Not to sound rude, but I can tell you why--as long as there are plenty of gullible people out there to get "entrapped" into a sale like that--and no disrespect to the OP BTW--these types of scams will continue to occur.  And to all those folks who will say that we don't know the entire story yet--perhaps so, but I wouldn't be surprised if what the OP said really did occur the way he/she described it.

MR_SMiT wrote:

Where did you have "bad experience?" If you are willing to spend $500, you should have gone directly to the online or physical Apple Store to buy your iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S just came in September, why would anybody selling them on craigslist, now?Smiley Surprised

Why? Not to sound rude, but I can tell you why--as long as there are plenty of gullible people out there to get "entrapped" into a sale like that--and no disrespect to the OP BTW--these types of scams will continue to occur.  And to all those folks who will say that we don't know the entire story yet--perhaps so, but I wouldn't be surprised if what the OP said really did occur the way he/she described it.

5 of 7 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:20:12 AM
(0)
Expert

don't forget to report the seller to the local law enforcement agency and to craigs list, now that you know i tis reported stolen this needs to be done

don't forget to report the seller to the local law enforcement agency and to craigs list, now that you know i tis reported stolen this needs to be done

6 of 7 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 3:31:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
With the new security features the iPhone now possesses, it's definitely recommended that you don't buy iPhones from complete strangers because they could

A) Remote lock it and only their fingerprint/code can unlock it
B) They can report it stolen

It's definitely not worth it. :/ I would recommend buying from someone you know (and even that can be bad but less likely) or Apple and AT&T stores.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
With the new security features the iPhone now possesses, it's definitely recommended that you don't buy iPhones from complete strangers because they could

A) Remote lock it and only their fingerprint/code can unlock it
B) They can report it stolen

It's definitely not worth it. :/ I would recommend buying from someone you know (and even that can be bad but less likely) or Apple and AT&T stores.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)

7 of 7 (686 Views)