Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 1, 2013
1:20:17 PM
Iphone 5s upgrade - AT&T shipped me an empty box

This is a very frustrating issue and hopefully someone has some insight as to how to proceed as I have hit a brick wall with AT&T Customer Service who don't seem to understand.

I ordered a new Iphone 5s on Sept 20,  and it said it was being delivered by FedEx on Sept 25. 

I noted the Fedex delivery had been made whilst I was out - not signed for.  Just put through my gate which is locked.

Upon picking up the box, it felt light, but all tape etc was in place - nothing looked suspicious.  Opened it up - it contained a receipt, a leaflet about activation and some brown packaging paper. But no phone.

I called AT&T immediately who said they would investigate and call back.

Numerous call backs from me - none from them who kept promising to call back - and I'm still without a phone. Finally yesterday it was escalated and they said they needed a police report, ID and a credit card scan to process a replacement phone. 

I called Miami Beach PD who were adamant that because I had never received the phone in the first place, no crime had taken place in their jurisdiction - it is maybe an AT&T problem, or maybe FedEx.  They would not supply a crime number.

AT&T have said that they won't process the replacement phone without a police report. 

AT&T seem to have closed down all communications.  Calling back just gets me a sympathetic customer services rep who tells me they will escalate it and I have to wait for a call back which can be up to 48 hours, and they never call back.

Hence why I'm now stuck.  If anyone has any advice about how to now proceed, I'd be very grateful as I honestly don't know which way to go next. Thanks for reading... 

This is a very frustrating issue and hopefully someone has some insight as to how to proceed as I have hit a brick wall with AT&T Customer Service who don't seem to understand.

I ordered a new Iphone 5s on Sept 20,  and it said it was being delivered by FedEx on Sept 25. 

I noted the Fedex delivery had been made whilst I was out - not signed for.  Just put through my gate which is locked.

Upon picking up the box, it felt light, but all tape etc was in place - nothing looked suspicious.  Opened it up - it contained a receipt, a leaflet about activation and some brown packaging paper. But no phone.

I called AT&T immediately who said they would investigate and call back.

Numerous call backs from me - none from them who kept promising to call back - and I'm still without a phone. Finally yesterday it was escalated and they said they needed a police report, ID and a credit card scan to process a replacement phone. 

I called Miami Beach PD who were adamant that because I had never received the phone in the first place, no crime had taken place in their jurisdiction - it is maybe an AT&T problem, or maybe FedEx.  They would not supply a crime number.

AT&T have said that they won't process the replacement phone without a police report. 

AT&T seem to have closed down all communications.  Calling back just gets me a sympathetic customer services rep who tells me they will escalate it and I have to wait for a call back which can be up to 48 hours, and they never call back.

Hence why I'm now stuck.  If anyone has any advice about how to now proceed, I'd be very grateful as I honestly don't know which way to go next. Thanks for reading... 

Iphone 5s upgrade - AT&T shipped me an empty box

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 1:33:10 PM
(0)
Employee

I would start with FedEx and report that your package was delivered missing it's contents. While they investigate, shoot a private message to attCustomerCare here in the community so they can put you in touch with the right people to look into it on AT&T's side.

Report it to the police as a stolen package. Even if it is just the contents of the package, they should give you a report/case number.

Best of luck!

- AB 

I would start with FedEx and report that your package was delivered missing it's contents. While they investigate, shoot a private message to attCustomerCare here in the community so they can put you in touch with the right people to look into it on AT&T's side.

Report it to the police as a stolen package. Even if it is just the contents of the package, they should give you a report/case number.

Best of luck!

- AB 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Iphone 5s upgrade - AT&T shipped me an empty box

2 of 9 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 2:14:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

thanks AB,

Appreciate your response.  I noted in my OP that Miami Beach PD won't issue a report on this, because they claim I didn't receive anything to have been stolen from me. The box from AT&T was sealed, and empty.  The theft (if any) happened before the package got to me.  Therefore it is someone elses theft to report, not mine.  I hope that makes sense.

Anyway I am at the end of my tether here with AT&T customer support so I will report it to FedEx next and see how that goes. 

Thanks again for replying. 

thanks AB,

Appreciate your response.  I noted in my OP that Miami Beach PD won't issue a report on this, because they claim I didn't receive anything to have been stolen from me. The box from AT&T was sealed, and empty.  The theft (if any) happened before the package got to me.  Therefore it is someone elses theft to report, not mine.  I hope that makes sense.

Anyway I am at the end of my tether here with AT&T customer support so I will report it to FedEx next and see how that goes. 

Thanks again for replying. 

3 of 9 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 2:28:13 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello jetranger,

I'm so sorry you're having those issues, I can't believe that something like this could happen and can absolutely understand your frustration! Like aBenjamin suggested, please send us a private message (ATTCustomerCare) with your full name and the phone number. We have a team of great and resourceful managers that will do everything they can to help you. You can expect to hear from a member of our team within 2 business days after they get a private message with your contact information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank You,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Hello jetranger,

I'm so sorry you're having those issues, I can't believe that something like this could happen and can absolutely understand your frustration! Like aBenjamin suggested, please send us a private message (ATTCustomerCare) with your full name and the phone number. We have a team of great and resourceful managers that will do everything they can to help you. You can expect to hear from a member of our team within 2 business days after they get a private message with your contact information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank You,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (1,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 9:43:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I appreciate you taking time to reply Dmitriy,

I called Miami Beach police again and spoke to a very sympathetic officer who thought a report should be made for this incident, so he went ahead and did it.  I have faxed the police report to the escalations team with the other information that was asked and hopefully I will hear something soon.

I will let them have 24 hours to come back to me - I don't think that is unreasonable - and if not, I shall send a PM to the team here and see if they can help.

thanks again for your help.

JR.

I appreciate you taking time to reply Dmitriy,

I called Miami Beach police again and spoke to a very sympathetic officer who thought a report should be made for this incident, so he went ahead and did it.  I have faxed the police report to the escalations team with the other information that was asked and hopefully I will hear something soon.

I will let them have 24 hours to come back to me - I don't think that is unreasonable - and if not, I shall send a PM to the team here and see if they can help.

thanks again for your help.

JR.

5 of 9 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 9:51:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 5, 2013 at 9:15:40 AM

Sounds like a good plan jetranger, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Sounds like a good plan jetranger, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 2:20:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

thanks again for your help Dmitriy. 

My only request would be I get the call back from the escalation team which I have been promised numerous times.

I don't understand the delay.  It has now been over 24 hours since I forwarded on the requested information and I'm getting tired of doing all the running here.

I have sent a pm to the link you supplied with my details in it.

Many thanks.

JR.

thanks again for your help Dmitriy. 

My only request would be I get the call back from the escalation team which I have been promised numerous times.

I don't understand the delay.  It has now been over 24 hours since I forwarded on the requested information and I'm getting tired of doing all the running here.

I have sent a pm to the link you supplied with my details in it.

Many thanks.

JR.

7 of 9 (976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 6:55:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yet again, no callback after 48 hours from the escalation team.

Just called AT&T customer service and was told that there is nothing they can do, no one can help and no supervisor will talk to me.

Is this seriously how you treat a customer?

My partner and I now reviewing the $600 a month we spend with AT&T through wireless, wired and TV service.

Terrible terrible customer service.  Feeling very upset and deflated this morning.

Yet again, no callback after 48 hours from the escalation team.

Just called AT&T customer service and was told that there is nothing they can do, no one can help and no supervisor will talk to me.

Is this seriously how you treat a customer?

My partner and I now reviewing the $600 a month we spend with AT&T through wireless, wired and TV service.

Terrible terrible customer service.  Feeling very upset and deflated this morning.

8 of 9 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:16:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

this was resolved this morning after having a pretty awful day of useless and rude AT&T agents yesterday, who still believed that I should be the one doing the running around, investigating FedEx myself, just unbelievable - then finally getting through to a department who were just amazing and refused to let me off the phone until resolved.

I had to follow up this morning, and after 2 useless agents - where I just hung up as I couldn't bear retelling the story again, I finally got a great agent, who just got on with it and with his manager, they cancelled the contract and refunded my money.  I will not be ordering through AT&T online ever again.  Their e-commerce teams are useless, and I advise anyone else reading this to do the same. 

Thanks for reading. 

this was resolved this morning after having a pretty awful day of useless and rude AT&T agents yesterday, who still believed that I should be the one doing the running around, investigating FedEx myself, just unbelievable - then finally getting through to a department who were just amazing and refused to let me off the phone until resolved.

I had to follow up this morning, and after 2 useless agents - where I just hung up as I couldn't bear retelling the story again, I finally got a great agent, who just got on with it and with his manager, they cancelled the contract and refunded my money.  I will not be ordering through AT&T online ever again.  Their e-commerce teams are useless, and I advise anyone else reading this to do the same. 

Thanks for reading. 

9 of 9 (833 Views)