Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Iphone 5 siganl loss

Tutor

Iphone 5 siganl loss

I've noticed a large degration of signal between Iphone 5 and /or IOS6.    With my Iphone 4 I consistently was able to access mail and internet from my office.  Not a strong enough signal to make long phone calls without dropping, but never an issue getting mail.   

since getting the Iphone 5 I'm constently getting  no service, unable to connect to server, unable to access itunes, etc.   I've never had this issue with the Iphone 4 / IOS5. 

anyone else notice a loss of signal with the new phone/IOS?   I tried taking the case off, same signal issues.

Message 1 of 19
Contributor

Re: Iphone 5 siganl loss

i had the exact same issue in salt lake city and was ready to throw my phone out the window while on the freeway one day.

i decided to go in to the apple store to have them run a diagnostic and they said i had a bad sim card. had at&t swap me out and any issues i was having seemed to have stopped.

i even had signal in a work meeting today in a conference room in the middle of my work building on the bottom floor of a 4 story building with no windows today.

before i had no service in this room

apple also told me if i get a new sim card first and still have issues they'll warranty replace my phone for a defective antenna
Message 16 of 19
Voyager

I upgraded from 4 to 5 december 2012, BIG, HUGE mistake.  I have spent hours of my life on the phone with AT&T and Apple trying to figure out what is wrong.  I never have more than 1 bar, and in seconds I can go from 1 bar to an E, and then to an o and back to 1 bar and then to No Service and back to 1 bar.  I can stand next to my husband who has my 4 and he has 3 bars and I have no service.  I'm a realtor and need my phone.  Where I live I have 3G and 4G coverage.  I had new sim cards put in, did not work, today I received my 4th Iphone 5 and I was hopefull when it found service and had OMG full coverage but quickly went down to 1 bar and does not say 4G but E and that is where it has settled.   Someone at ATT told me that the Iphone 5 has hardware issues and has trouble doing a "switchback from tower to tower".   I   DO   NOT   CARE what the problem is, I paid for a phone, I pay for a service, I expect both to work.  I can continue to get Apple to send me another 5 until I finally get one that works, but it is a pain to start over, restore, reset, etc.  All I see is me in that old commercial where the guy throws his old computer out the window. 

[word filter avoidance]

Message 17 of 19
Expert

sshoreland wrote:

I upgraded from 4 to 5 december 2012, BIG, HUGE mistake.  I have spent hours of my life on the phone with AT&T and Apple trying to figure out what is wrong.  I never have more than 1 bar, and in seconds I can go from 1 bar to an E, and then to an o and back to 1 bar and then to No Service and back to 1 bar.  I can stand next to my husband who has my 4 and he has 3 bars and I have no service.  I'm a realtor and need my phone.  Where I live I have 3G and 4G coverage.  I had new sim cards put in, did not work, today I received my 4th Iphone 5 and I was hopefull when it found service and had OMG full coverage but quickly went down to 1 bar and does not say 4G but E and that is where it has settled.   Someone at ATT told me that the Iphone 5 has hardware issues and has trouble doing a "switchback from tower to tower".   I   DO   NOT   CARE what the problem is, I paid for a phone, I pay for a service, I expect both to work.  I can continue to get Apple to send me another 5 until I finally get one that works, but it is a pain to start over, restore, reset, etc.  All I see is me in that old commercial where the guy throws his old computer out the window. 

[word filter avoidance]

what environment are you seeing this in? The surrounding terrain, building material, the number of buildings around you, solar flares will adversely affect cell reception, although it seems that LTE phones are more heavily affected then the older 3G or edge devices. Try turning off LTE and see how that affects the reception.

I have perfect 5 bar reception in the front of my home, I go out to the back desk around the pool and there is 0 bars, same when I am in downtown area of any major city, if I am on a call, I will stop walking and finish the conversation, there is a 90 percent chance that I will lose reception and drop the call if I keep walking.

Message 18 of 19
Contributor

Same story here in Delaware.  Upgraded from 4 to 5 and started dropping signal strength.  Called support; rebooted, reloaded O/S, changed SIM card in 3 different calls to support.  I guess next is replace the phone.  If that doesn't fix it, maybe its time to replace the carrier.

J

Message 19 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support