Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 26, 2012
7:42:53 AM
View profile
Iphone 5 siganl loss

I've noticed a large degration of signal between Iphone 5 and /or IOS6.    With my Iphone 4 I consistently was able to access mail and internet from my office.  Not a strong enough signal to make long phone calls without dropping, but never an issue getting mail.   

since getting the Iphone 5 I'm constently getting  no service, unable to connect to server, unable to access itunes, etc.   I've never had this issue with the Iphone 4 / IOS5. 

anyone else notice a loss of signal with the new phone/IOS?   I tried taking the case off, same signal issues.

I've noticed a large degration of signal between Iphone 5 and /or IOS6.    With my Iphone 4 I consistently was able to access mail and internet from my office.  Not a strong enough signal to make long phone calls without dropping, but never an issue getting mail.   

since getting the Iphone 5 I'm constently getting  no service, unable to connect to server, unable to access itunes, etc.   I've never had this issue with the Iphone 4 / IOS5. 

anyone else notice a loss of signal with the new phone/IOS?   I tried taking the case off, same signal issues.

Iphone 5 siganl loss

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 11:43:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
Spoiler

Ditto!!!

And I'm getting irritated.

Spoiler

Ditto!!!

And I'm getting irritated.

Re: Iphone 5 siganl loss

2 of 19 (34,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 12:18:07 PM
(0)
Master

I also have the iPhone 5. I still have a great signal just as I did on my iPhone 4S. A few things you can try are: going into the settings menu and reset your network settings, try a new sim card, call customer care and make sure your account is provisioned correctly on AT&T's LTE network.

I also have the iPhone 5. I still have a great signal just as I did on my iPhone 4S. A few things you can try are: going into the settings menu and reset your network settings, try a new sim card, call customer care and make sure your account is provisioned correctly on AT&T's LTE network.

3 of 19 (34,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2012 12:46:49 PM
(0)
Professor
I'm not getting no service or it dropping out, but my signal strength is 1 or 2 bars lower on the 5 and it moves around more too. It seems to happen mostly when I'm on LTE, but sometimes it's lower on 4G also.
I'm not getting no service or it dropping out, but my signal strength is 1 or 2 bars lower on the 5 and it moves around more too. It seems to happen mostly when I'm on LTE, but sometimes it's lower on 4G also.

4 of 19 (34,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 11:15:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by darkonex on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:16:31 AM

Located in Pittsburg KS and having the same problems here.  We got 3G here in April 2011 and I had an iPhone 4 then and it was always on 3G and no signal issues, then got a 4S later and just the same, very good signal always 3/4G.  I get the iPhone 5 and now all around town it's hopping into Edge!  In my office it's frequently not able to connect to wifi and never had this trouble before.  My wife is having the same problems with hers she got this week, and a coworker I stopped and asked today and he too is having the same issue so it's something either with the software or the cellular in this area, this is very frustrating, fix it!

Located in Pittsburg KS and having the same problems here.  We got 3G here in April 2011 and I had an iPhone 4 then and it was always on 3G and no signal issues, then got a 4S later and just the same, very good signal always 3/4G.  I get the iPhone 5 and now all around town it's hopping into Edge!  In my office it's frequently not able to connect to wifi and never had this trouble before.  My wife is having the same problems with hers she got this week, and a coworker I stopped and asked today and he too is having the same issue so it's something either with the software or the cellular in this area, this is very frustrating, fix it!

[ Edited ]
5 of 19 (33,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 5:08:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
I noticed a similar problem (probably the same issue) immediately on the 9/21 when I received my iPhone5. After a few days I isolated the problem...it's when I am in a marginal LTE coverage area the iPhone5 drops to NO COVERAGE and loses all connectivity for a minute, instead of downgrading to 4G or 3G or EDGE. When the iphone5 gets signal again it never switches back to LTE, even when I am in a solid LTE coverage area.

I have two work arounds:

1. when in a marginal LTE coverage area, i turn off LTE. when i do this, i never get NO COVERAGE and lose all signal. the iphone5 also downgrades its network accordingly from 4G to EDGE if necessary. That 4G to EDGE only happens at my job, since I am in a building with notorious cell coverage.

2. When I get back to a good LTE zone, I turn ON airplane mode, then turn it back OFF...then my iphone5 locks back into LTE and all is good.

i also reported this to AT&T to see if this is a known problem.. sadly, it is.. their advanced technical support told me that this is a known issue. Most likely a software bug that does not distribute power to the LTE antenna properly when in marginal LTE zones.

I am hoping Apple releases a software update before my 30days is up, otherwise I will be activating my old iPhone 4 and returning my iPhone 5 until that LTE bug is fixed.
I noticed a similar problem (probably the same issue) immediately on the 9/21 when I received my iPhone5. After a few days I isolated the problem...it's when I am in a marginal LTE coverage area the iPhone5 drops to NO COVERAGE and loses all connectivity for a minute, instead of downgrading to 4G or 3G or EDGE. When the iphone5 gets signal again it never switches back to LTE, even when I am in a solid LTE coverage area.

I have two work arounds:

1. when in a marginal LTE coverage area, i turn off LTE. when i do this, i never get NO COVERAGE and lose all signal. the iphone5 also downgrades its network accordingly from 4G to EDGE if necessary. That 4G to EDGE only happens at my job, since I am in a building with notorious cell coverage.

2. When I get back to a good LTE zone, I turn ON airplane mode, then turn it back OFF...then my iphone5 locks back into LTE and all is good.

i also reported this to AT&T to see if this is a known problem.. sadly, it is.. their advanced technical support told me that this is a known issue. Most likely a software bug that does not distribute power to the LTE antenna properly when in marginal LTE zones.

I am hoping Apple releases a software update before my 30days is up, otherwise I will be activating my old iPhone 4 and returning my iPhone 5 until that LTE bug is fixed.

6 of 19 (33,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 1:58:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am also having issues. My iPhone 5 always shows that it is connected to 4G (never switches to 3G?) and I usually have half the number of bars (if not less) than my girlfriend's iPhone 4 (3G) signal. What gives? I thought 4G wasn't even out yet in Minneapolis so why does my phone show that it is always connected to 4G and why won't it switch to 3G if that signal is better? I've tried turning off LTE in settings and it doesn't change anything.

I am also having issues. My iPhone 5 always shows that it is connected to 4G (never switches to 3G?) and I usually have half the number of bars (if not less) than my girlfriend's iPhone 4 (3G) signal. What gives? I thought 4G wasn't even out yet in Minneapolis so why does my phone show that it is always connected to 4G and why won't it switch to 3G if that signal is better? I've tried turning off LTE in settings and it doesn't change anything.

Re: Iphone 5 signal loss

7 of 19 (33,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 7:31:40 PM
(0)

I'm having this problem as well. No LTE in my area, but iPhone drops from 4G to Edge frequently and never comes back up to 4G.  Has even dropped to "No Service" a few times and does not go back online, even in known "5 bar" areas.

Airplane mode off/on fixes the issue.

Tried reboots and resetting network settings with no luck.

I'm having this problem as well. No LTE in my area, but iPhone drops from 4G to Edge frequently and never comes back up to 4G.  Has even dropped to "No Service" a few times and does not go back online, even in known "5 bar" areas.

Airplane mode off/on fixes the issue.

Tried reboots and resetting network settings with no luck.

8 of 19 (33,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2012 7:32:42 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am having this problem as well. On my 4s i usually get 4 bars but now i switched to 5 i rarely get 3 bars. And the LTE network is not consistent at all. I get dropped from it and i would just get no network at all. The no service shows up at least twice a day. Even thought the battery on 5 is better, but that's apple, talking abt an att problem right here. Not a happy customer at all.
I am having this problem as well. On my 4s i usually get 4 bars but now i switched to 5 i rarely get 3 bars. And the LTE network is not consistent at all. I get dropped from it and i would just get no network at all. The no service shows up at least twice a day. Even thought the battery on 5 is better, but that's apple, talking abt an att problem right here. Not a happy customer at all.

9 of 19 (31,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2012 6:55:56 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by awoods821 on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:56:40 PM

oldguynewguy wrote:

4g LTE service is not expected to be launched until before the holidays by the end of the year in mpls/st. paul. the iphone 4 does not have the radio capable of handling the HSPA+ which is technically 4G speeds. it will only show 3G. The iphone 4S and 5 are capable of HSPA+ and the iphone 5 will do 4G LTE which is not yet available. although i have seen reports of people seeing it on the highway when stuck in traffic. cant confirm that though.

oldguynewguy wrote:

4g LTE service is not expected to be launched until before the holidays by the end of the year in mpls/st. paul. the iphone 4 does not have the radio capable of handling the HSPA+ which is technically 4G speeds. it will only show 3G. The iphone 4S and 5 are capable of HSPA+ and the iphone 5 will do 4G LTE which is not yet available. although i have seen reports of people seeing it on the highway when stuck in traffic. cant confirm that though.

[ Edited ]
10 of 19 (31,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 8:37:21 AM
(0)
Explorer

awoods821 wrote:

oldguynewguy wrote:

looks like they have turned on the LTE where i work in woodbury right next to the 94/494/694 loop.image.jpg

awoods821 wrote:

oldguynewguy wrote:

looks like they have turned on the LTE where i work in woodbury right next to the 94/494/694 loop.image.jpg

11 of 19 (31,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 2:08:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm using LTE and love it. Internet access is almost instantaneous. I'm surprised that it's available in so many places in the San Francisco bay area.

Regarding signal issues - make sure you've upgraded to iOS 6.0.1

I'm using LTE and love it. Internet access is almost instantaneous. I'm surprised that it's available in so many places in the San Francisco bay area.

Regarding signal issues - make sure you've upgraded to iOS 6.0.1

12 of 19 (31,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 5:26:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am in the DFW area and after upgrading my iOS to the 6.0.1 verison. My service is not the same. I have noticed that when I make a call, the signal drops from LTE to 4G. And when I hang up, it takes half a minute to go back to LTE. Also, I can not dial any of the star services (*DATE#) to get a text msg with my data usage. I get an "Error performing request Unknow Error" msg. Then I lose the data signal completely. But I can go thru the settings into the phone and then the AT&T Services menu to dial the star service. But once the request has been sent, I still lose the data signal. I comes back after a 30 seconds. I don't know what is going on. I didn't have this issue with my iPhone 4. I am really thinking of going back to that and selling my iPhone 5 on ebay or craigslist. This is not good on both Apple and AT&T.

I am in the DFW area and after upgrading my iOS to the 6.0.1 verison. My service is not the same. I have noticed that when I make a call, the signal drops from LTE to 4G. And when I hang up, it takes half a minute to go back to LTE. Also, I can not dial any of the star services (*DATE#) to get a text msg with my data usage. I get an "Error performing request Unknow Error" msg. Then I lose the data signal completely. But I can go thru the settings into the phone and then the AT&T Services menu to dial the star service. But once the request has been sent, I still lose the data signal. I comes back after a 30 seconds. I don't know what is going on. I didn't have this issue with my iPhone 4. I am really thinking of going back to that and selling my iPhone 5 on ebay or craigslist. This is not good on both Apple and AT&T.

13 of 19 (30,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 3:07:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

I upgraded to the Iphone 5 from the 4 and it's been terrible.  I got great reception all over the ski areas of Winter Park, CO and Copper Mountain and now with the 5 - I get very limited coverage, if any at all.  I am very disappointed.  Is there anything I can do?

I upgraded to the Iphone 5 from the 4 and it's been terrible.  I got great reception all over the ski areas of Winter Park, CO and Copper Mountain and now with the 5 - I get very limited coverage, if any at all.  I am very disappointed.  Is there anything I can do?

14 of 19 (24,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 5:03:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
The BB10 will be out soon enough, and will make the iPhone 5 look like a dinosaur. My iPhone will consistently tells me that I have one or two bars at work, but when I try to check my email the truth comes out and suddenly I can't access the web. It does this on such a regular basis now I am not even sure when I have service or not as sometimes my texts aren't even going through.
The BB10 will be out soon enough, and will make the iPhone 5 look like a dinosaur. My iPhone will consistently tells me that I have one or two bars at work, but when I try to check my email the truth comes out and suddenly I can't access the web. It does this on such a regular basis now I am not even sure when I have service or not as sometimes my texts aren't even going through.

15 of 19 (24,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:37:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
i had the exact same issue in salt lake city and was ready to throw my phone out the window while on the freeway one day.

i decided to go in to the apple store to have them run a diagnostic and they said i had a bad sim card. had at&t swap me out and any issues i was having seemed to have stopped.

i even had signal in a work meeting today in a conference room in the middle of my work building on the bottom floor of a 4 story building with no windows today.

before i had no service in this room

apple also told me if i get a new sim card first and still have issues they'll warranty replace my phone for a defective antenna
i had the exact same issue in salt lake city and was ready to throw my phone out the window while on the freeway one day.

i decided to go in to the apple store to have them run a diagnostic and they said i had a bad sim card. had at&t swap me out and any issues i was having seemed to have stopped.

i even had signal in a work meeting today in a conference room in the middle of my work building on the bottom floor of a 4 story building with no windows today.

before i had no service in this room

apple also told me if i get a new sim card first and still have issues they'll warranty replace my phone for a defective antenna

16 of 19 (7,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 6:46:32 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 17, 2013 at 7:18:44 AM

I upgraded from 4 to 5 december 2012, BIG, HUGE mistake.  I have spent hours of my life on the phone with AT&T and Apple trying to figure out what is wrong.  I never have more than 1 bar, and in seconds I can go from 1 bar to an E, and then to an o and back to 1 bar and then to No Service and back to 1 bar.  I can stand next to my husband who has my 4 and he has 3 bars and I have no service.  I'm a realtor and need my phone.  Where I live I have 3G and 4G coverage.  I had new sim cards put in, did not work, today I received my 4th Iphone 5 and I was hopefull when it found service and had OMG full coverage but quickly went down to 1 bar and does not say 4G but E and that is where it has settled.   Someone at ATT told me that the Iphone 5 has hardware issues and has trouble doing a "switchback from tower to tower".   I   DO   NOT   CARE what the problem is, I paid for a phone, I pay for a service, I expect both to work.  I can continue to get Apple to send me another 5 until I finally get one that works, but it is a pain to start over, restore, reset, etc.  All I see is me in that old commercial where the guy throws his old computer out the window. 

[word filter avoidance]

I upgraded from 4 to 5 december 2012, BIG, HUGE mistake.  I have spent hours of my life on the phone with AT&T and Apple trying to figure out what is wrong.  I never have more than 1 bar, and in seconds I can go from 1 bar to an E, and then to an o and back to 1 bar and then to No Service and back to 1 bar.  I can stand next to my husband who has my 4 and he has 3 bars and I have no service.  I'm a realtor and need my phone.  Where I live I have 3G and 4G coverage.  I had new sim cards put in, did not work, today I received my 4th Iphone 5 and I was hopefull when it found service and had OMG full coverage but quickly went down to 1 bar and does not say 4G but E and that is where it has settled.   Someone at ATT told me that the Iphone 5 has hardware issues and has trouble doing a "switchback from tower to tower".   I   DO   NOT   CARE what the problem is, I paid for a phone, I pay for a service, I expect both to work.  I can continue to get Apple to send me another 5 until I finally get one that works, but it is a pain to start over, restore, reset, etc.  All I see is me in that old commercial where the guy throws his old computer out the window. 

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
17 of 19 (6,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 8:13:18 AM
(0)
Expert

sshoreland wrote:

[word filter avoidance]

what environment are you seeing this in? The surrounding terrain, building material, the number of buildings around you, solar flares will adversely affect cell reception, although it seems that LTE phones are more heavily affected then the older 3G or edge devices. Try turning off LTE and see how that affects the reception.

I have perfect 5 bar reception in the front of my home, I go out to the back desk around the pool and there is 0 bars, same when I am in downtown area of any major city, if I am on a call, I will stop walking and finish the conversation, there is a 90 percent chance that I will lose reception and drop the call if I keep walking.

sshoreland wrote:

[word filter avoidance]

what environment are you seeing this in? The surrounding terrain, building material, the number of buildings around you, solar flares will adversely affect cell reception, although it seems that LTE phones are more heavily affected then the older 3G or edge devices. Try turning off LTE and see how that affects the reception.

I have perfect 5 bar reception in the front of my home, I go out to the back desk around the pool and there is 0 bars, same when I am in downtown area of any major city, if I am on a call, I will stop walking and finish the conversation, there is a 90 percent chance that I will lose reception and drop the call if I keep walking.

18 of 19 (6,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:43:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same story here in Delaware.  Upgraded from 4 to 5 and started dropping signal strength.  Called support; rebooted, reloaded O/S, changed SIM card in 3 different calls to support.  I guess next is replace the phone.  If that doesn't fix it, maybe its time to replace the carrier.

J

Same story here in Delaware.  Upgraded from 4 to 5 and started dropping signal strength.  Called support; rebooted, reloaded O/S, changed SIM card in 3 different calls to support.  I guess next is replace the phone.  If that doesn't fix it, maybe its time to replace the carrier.

J

19 of 19 (4,651 Views)