Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 1, 2012
3:34:53 PM
Iphone 5 Extremely Slow 4G Data Speed
Edited by lethalwire on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:41:55 PM

I got my iphone 5 last week and have received extremely slow download speeds over 4G/3G. Less than 1mbps.. usually between 0.05mbps and 0.6mbps.

Even when doing simple google searches, the phone hangs for minutes at a time before loading.

I've tried

1. Restoring the phone through iTUnes
  2. Clearing safari cookies/history
  3. Hard resetting
  4. Resetting network settings
  5. Trying a different browser
  6. Turning on/off LTE

It's odd, because during the first 50megabytes of data usage, it seemed fine. Then after that, the good download speeds almost vanished. Every now and then I'll get some good bursts of bandwidth, but most of the time it's me tearing my flippin' hair out.

Any ideas?

I got my iphone 5 last week and have received extremely slow download speeds over 4G/3G. Less than 1mbps.. usually between 0.05mbps and 0.6mbps.

Even when doing simple google searches, the phone hangs for minutes at a time before loading.

I've tried

1. Restoring the phone through iTUnes
  2. Clearing safari cookies/history
  3. Hard resetting
  4. Resetting network settings
  5. Trying a different browser
  6. Turning on/off LTE

It's odd, because during the first 50megabytes of data usage, it seemed fine. Then after that, the good download speeds almost vanished. Every now and then I'll get some good bursts of bandwidth, but most of the time it's me tearing my flippin' hair out.

Any ideas?

Iphone 5 Extremely Slow 4G Data Speed

[ Edited ]
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 3:58:34 PM
(0)
Master

What was your usage before the upgrade?  You might have used enough data that you are getting thottled?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

What was your usage before the upgrade?  You might have used enough data that you are getting thottled?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Iphone 5 Extremely Slow 4G Data Speed

2 of 17 (52,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 4:09:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have unlimited data, but I know AT&T begins to throttle at around 3gb. I'm nowhere near that. (approx. at 1gb. probably due to the bandwidth tests I've been doing) I usually average less than 700mb/mo. Every once in a while I'll peak at 1.5gb. (Very rarely though) I've already called AT&T to see if they were throttling me, and they stated they weren't.

I have unlimited data, but I know AT&T begins to throttle at around 3gb. I'm nowhere near that. (approx. at 1gb. probably due to the bandwidth tests I've been doing) I usually average less than 700mb/mo. Every once in a while I'll peak at 1.5gb. (Very rarely though) I've already called AT&T to see if they were throttling me, and they stated they weren't.

3 of 17 (52,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 4:12:57 PM
(0)
Master

Try reseting your network settings.  Settings>General>reset>reset network settings.  You will need to re-enter any wifi passwords.

Try reseting your network settings.  Settings>General>reset>reset network settings.  You will need to re-enter any wifi passwords.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 17 (52,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 4:24:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've already done that (my #4 bullet).
I've already done that (my #4 bullet).

5 of 17 (52,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 5:42:29 PM
(0)
Master

It may be time for a visit to the Genius bar at Apple.  www.apple.com/retail  They can check out the hardware or possibly the SIM.

It may be time for a visit to the Genius bar at Apple.  www.apple.com/retail  They can check out the hardware or possibly the SIM.

6 of 17 (52,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 6:05:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by lethalwire on Oct 1, 2012 at 6:05:31 PM

I was afraid of that. I forgot to mention that I've already had the SIM card replaced. Too bad the closest apple retailer is about 5 hours away from my hometown. I may be taking a trip in a couple of weeks though... I'll get it replaced and hopefully if that doesn't fix it, a software update will.

Thanks for your help.

I was afraid of that. I forgot to mention that I've already had the SIM card replaced. Too bad the closest apple retailer is about 5 hours away from my hometown. I may be taking a trip in a couple of weeks though... I'll get it replaced and hopefully if that doesn't fix it, a software update will.

Thanks for your help.

[ Edited ]
7 of 17 (52,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 5:58:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Can you compare speeds with an other smart phone at the same location? It may be a tower problem..
Can you compare speeds with an other smart phone at the same location? It may be a tower problem..

8 of 17 (52,031 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 5:08:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, my wife has an iphone 3gs and now she has a 5. On her 3GS she was getting good speeds, but it seems that her iphone 5 is also getting shotty speeds. Sometimes the speed is great, and other times it's painfully slow. I wonder if it is just a network problem in this area from the 4G network...

Yes, my wife has an iphone 3gs and now she has a 5. On her 3GS she was getting good speeds, but it seems that her iphone 5 is also getting shotty speeds. Sometimes the speed is great, and other times it's painfully slow. I wonder if it is just a network problem in this area from the 4G network...

9 of 17 (51,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 3:28:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does it differ by time of day?

If I use my iphone at 6 am, it seems fine, but during normal hours it is the slowest thing in the world, sometimes so bad I can't even check my email.  That is because AT&T sells service faster than it provides coverage.  There are so many people using it it gets clogged up.

i am very unhappy with them, Tmobile is just as bad.  It is seriously time to find a better cell phone company.

Does it differ by time of day?

If I use my iphone at 6 am, it seems fine, but during normal hours it is the slowest thing in the world, sometimes so bad I can't even check my email.  That is because AT&T sells service faster than it provides coverage.  There are so many people using it it gets clogged up.

i am very unhappy with them, Tmobile is just as bad.  It is seriously time to find a better cell phone company.

10 of 17 (51,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 11:18:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am in Minneapolis and I upgraded from iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. I always got pretty decent 3G coverage with my iPhone 4 and was happy with the speeds in general.

LTE coverage around Minneapolis/St. Paul is spotty, but that's to be expected since AT&T has only been deploying LTE here for about a month. When I get an LTE signal, the speeds are generally impressive but sometimes is not any better than 3G.

4G coverage is a little more prevalent, but it is even shoddier service. Like the OP stated, sometimes I cannot use the 4G signal for data at all because it will crawl at .01-.05 Mb/s, even with good or great signal strength.

It is rather pathetic and disappointing that I am left with a phone that is sometimes fast, but in general is slower than my previous phone and sometimes downright unusable. I think it would be less of an issue if I could turn off both 4G and LTE on my iPhone5 to receive a usable 3G signal, but it only gives me the option to turn off LTE.

I am in Minneapolis and I upgraded from iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. I always got pretty decent 3G coverage with my iPhone 4 and was happy with the speeds in general.

LTE coverage around Minneapolis/St. Paul is spotty, but that's to be expected since AT&T has only been deploying LTE here for about a month. When I get an LTE signal, the speeds are generally impressive but sometimes is not any better than 3G.

4G coverage is a little more prevalent, but it is even shoddier service. Like the OP stated, sometimes I cannot use the 4G signal for data at all because it will crawl at .01-.05 Mb/s, even with good or great signal strength.

It is rather pathetic and disappointing that I am left with a phone that is sometimes fast, but in general is slower than my previous phone and sometimes downright unusable. I think it would be less of an issue if I could turn off both 4G and LTE on my iPhone5 to receive a usable 3G signal, but it only gives me the option to turn off LTE.

11 of 17 (51,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 8:30:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
Exactly what I was thinking...I wish we had an option to just use 3G...especially in places where 4G/LTE is not available. We have no 4G here at all in New Mexico (coming soon, but not soon enough!). I just want to use my phone because I pay for the service every month-- and heck, that's not cheap!
Exactly what I was thinking...I wish we had an option to just use 3G...especially in places where 4G/LTE is not available. We have no 4G here at all in New Mexico (coming soon, but not soon enough!). I just want to use my phone because I pay for the service every month-- and heck, that's not cheap!

12 of 17 (51,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2012 7:32:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm guessing it was the service in my area. After a few days, the data speeds slowly started to improve and now they are 10 times better than what I was seeing before.

I was beginning to think it was the iphone 5.

So I'm not sure if it was the 4G network or some type of synchronization problem with the service and the phone.

I'm guessing it was the service in my area. After a few days, the data speeds slowly started to improve and now they are 10 times better than what I was seeing before.

I was beginning to think it was the iphone 5.

So I'm not sure if it was the 4G network or some type of synchronization problem with the service and the phone.

13 of 17 (50,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 7:25:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having unusable 4g in the north metro in Minneapolis. It was working great up until 10/15, then suddenly it slowed to a crawl. iPhone 5.

This is a major suburb of minneapolis.  My Verizon ipad on 3G has no trouble.

It will be a serious problem if I cannot use my phone for data in my own city. I have the unlimited plan, and the phone shows I've only used 79MB since I received the phone. I've reset the network settings and that didn't help at all. If I'm lucky, I can load Twitter after about a one minute delay. That's how bad it is. Web? Forget it. Internet radio? Forget it.

When I go down to Minneapolis, I get LTE or 4G service that is snappy and fast. So this is an AT&T issue.

I am still under the 30 day return policy and I love everything about this phone, but if I have to return it and get a Verizon version I may have to do so. How incredibly frustrating. 

I am having unusable 4g in the north metro in Minneapolis. It was working great up until 10/15, then suddenly it slowed to a crawl. iPhone 5.

It will be a serious problem if I cannot use my phone for data in my own city. I have the unlimited plan, and the phone shows I've only used 79MB since I received the phone. I've reset the network settings and that didn't help at all. If I'm lucky, I can load Twitter after about a one minute delay. That's how bad it is. Web? Forget it. Internet radio? Forget it.

When I go down to Minneapolis, I get LTE or 4G service that is snappy and fast. So this is an AT&T issue.

I am still under the 30 day return policy and I love everything about this phone, but if I have to return it and get a Verizon version I may have to do so. How incredibly frustrating. 

14 of 17 (50,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2012 9:20:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mnsue wrote:

Highly suggest you use the Mark the Spot app and report where you are having slow download speeds.  The data from that app does get sent to the network engineers and they do use it so If it is a network issue, there is a good chance they can use that data to fix it.

mnsue wrote:

Highly suggest you use the Mark the Spot app and report where you are having slow download speeds.  The data from that app does get sent to the network engineers and they do use it so If it is a network issue, there is a good chance they can use that data to fix it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 17 (50,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 12:10:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been having the same problem and have already had my phone replaced and the issue presist.

I have already researched this issue with Apple and know it is not a Software problem. At&t has not been able to fix this issue for the past 3 months

I have been having the same problem and have already had my phone replaced and the issue presist.

I have already researched this issue with Apple and know it is not a Software problem. At&t has not been able to fix this issue for the past 3 months

16 of 17 (11,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 5:09:37 PM
(0)
Expert

Cmd04 wrote:

are you on rthe old grandfathered unlimited data plan? If you are and you exceed the cap the data speed is throttled for LTE it is 5GB

Cmd04 wrote:

are you on rthe old grandfathered unlimited data plan? If you are and you exceed the cap the data speed is throttled for LTE it is 5GB

17 of 17 (11,809 Views)