Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 24, 2011
7:49:57 AM
View profile
Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

I have been unable to recieve text message for the past 36 hours.  I can however recieve calls, emails and MMS messages. I contacted AT&T and was advised this was a nationwide issue and they are working on it. However I have several friends with Iphone 4 phones and are not having this issue.

Any ideas?

I have been unable to recieve text message for the past 36 hours.  I can however recieve calls, emails and MMS messages. I contacted AT&T and was advised this was a nationwide issue and they are working on it. However I have several friends with Iphone 4 phones and are not having this issue.

Any ideas?

Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

19 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 7:55:54 AM
(0)
Professor
You can try rebooting the phone or resetting network settings.
You can try rebooting the phone or resetting network settings.

Re: Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

2 of 20 (49,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:18:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same here. Exactly. The iPhone 4 is fully functional except for SMS.

I have performed soft resets and multiple hard resets. I've also reset network settings. Regardless, the problem persists. 

Oddly, my wife has an iPhone 4 as well, though she is not having the same problem. Same location, same tower, same network, but she is receiving SMS and I am not.

Same here. Exactly. The iPhone 4 is fully functional except for SMS.

I have performed soft resets and multiple hard resets. I've also reset network settings. Regardless, the problem persists. 

Oddly, my wife has an iPhone 4 as well, though she is not having the same problem. Same location, same tower, same network, but she is receiving SMS and I am not.

3 of 20 (49,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:26:13 AM
(0)
Contributor
Same issue. One of my 2 iPhones has this issue, the other doesn't. AT&T support said they are working on it but no time of repair and they have told me there is nothing(reset, sim swap, restore settings, etc) that will correct the issue. It is a network problem, not a phone hardware or software issue. Very annoying though. I do most of my communication via text than any other way. I'd rather not be able to send calls than not be able to send texts...
Same issue. One of my 2 iPhones has this issue, the other doesn't. AT&T support said they are working on it but no time of repair and they have told me there is nothing(reset, sim swap, restore settings, etc) that will correct the issue. It is a network problem, not a phone hardware or software issue. Very annoying though. I do most of my communication via text than any other way. I'd rather not be able to send calls than not be able to send texts...

4 of 20 (49,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:32:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

This appears to be an epidemic

Is it AT&T? Apple? At the moment is seems a nasty combo.

This appears to be an epidemic

Is it AT&T? Apple? At the moment is seems a nasty combo.

5 of 20 (49,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:49:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
Same exact issue here: 1 iPhone works, the other does not. No ETA for fix but AT&T is "aware". They just have no idea how to fix it. I wonder if people demanded new replacement phones if it would make them solve this a little quicker.
Same exact issue here: 1 iPhone works, the other does not. No ETA for fix but AT&T is "aware". They just have no idea how to fix it. I wonder if people demanded new replacement phones if it would make them solve this a little quicker.

6 of 20 (49,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:57:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same exact issue. A coworker's iphone has no problem at all. I've had this problem since yesterday morning... I'm not too happy that it's still a problem today. I'm having to utilize WhatsApp.

Same exact issue. A coworker's iphone has no problem at all. I've had this problem since yesterday morning... I'm not too happy that it's still a problem today. I'm having to utilize WhatsApp.

7 of 20 (49,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 9:12:32 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by picoso on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:16:20 AM

from los angeles county, california;

been having the same problem as well, my sister which also has an iphone 4 in the next room does not have any issues, nor does my mom that has a blackberry with at&t as well.

i have tried doing a reset network settings, ive done a complete restore, restored backup to a last known good date, reset the chip and same problem. cant receive sms texts, sending seems to be off/on or delayed, can receive/send mms texts. calling works for outgoing and incoming, internet works fine, email, all apps. just no receiving of sms texts! :\

been using textfree app to get around this

from los angeles county, california;

been having the same problem as well, my sister which also has an iphone 4 in the next room does not have any issues, nor does my mom that has a blackberry with at&t as well.

i have tried doing a reset network settings, ive done a complete restore, restored backup to a last known good date, reset the chip and same problem. cant receive sms texts, sending seems to be off/on or delayed, can receive/send mms texts. calling works for outgoing and incoming, internet works fine, email, all apps. just no receiving of sms texts! :\

been using textfree app to get around this

[ Edited ]
8 of 20 (49,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 9:41:08 AM
(0)
Professor
It sounds like some kind of AT&T database problem with what IMEIs are authorized for SMS. It doesn't sound like a problem with the phone or software. If a reboot or resetting network settings doesn't work, they you'll probably have to wait until they fix the problem, which they admit they have. Restoring the phone or more exotic solutions that completely wipe the phone likely aren't going to do anything.
It sounds like some kind of AT&T database problem with what IMEIs are authorized for SMS. It doesn't sound like a problem with the phone or software. If a reboot or resetting network settings doesn't work, they you'll probably have to wait until they fix the problem, which they admit they have. Restoring the phone or more exotic solutions that completely wipe the phone likely aren't going to do anything.

9 of 20 (49,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 9:42:07 AM
(0)
Contributor
From what I've been reading in multiple forums, this seems to be a purely AT&T network problem. Some people have gone to an apple store, got a new phone and new sim card, still having the problem. So sounds like AT&T simply isn't sending text messages to certain phone numbers. I would hope that anyone that works for AT&T and is reading this will be issuing a credit to those people affected by this..... And more importantly light a fire under some backsides of some people to get this fixed. All I hear from tech support is that we know of the issue, but don't know what it is or when it will get fixed. For what I pay a month for service, you think I could get a better answer..... :-/
From what I've been reading in multiple forums, this seems to be a purely AT&T network problem. Some people have gone to an apple store, got a new phone and new sim card, still having the problem. So sounds like AT&T simply isn't sending text messages to certain phone numbers. I would hope that anyone that works for AT&T and is reading this will be issuing a credit to those people affected by this..... And more importantly light a fire under some backsides of some people to get this fixed. All I hear from tech support is that we know of the issue, but don't know what it is or when it will get fixed. For what I pay a month for service, you think I could get a better answer..... :-/

10 of 20 (49,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 10:03:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this problem for over 24 hours now. I've tried everything everyone else has, plus having tech support "reset my phone on the network". Nothing works. Texting is my main form of communication with my teenager who is currently out of state at a drama camp. I'm just a little livid. AT&T cannot provide an ETA for a fix. They aren't issuing credits (I asked) and I don't want to try and wrangle a replacement phone out of them or Apple yet, but I just might if this continues. I have several friends with the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS and none of them are having problems. It's like I'm the only one in Reno, NV with this issue. I hope that AT&T will provide an ETA soon, in the very least, and comes up with a satisfactory way to compensate users with this issue.

I have had this problem for over 24 hours now. I've tried everything everyone else has, plus having tech support "reset my phone on the network". Nothing works. Texting is my main form of communication with my teenager who is currently out of state at a drama camp. I'm just a little livid. AT&T cannot provide an ETA for a fix. They aren't issuing credits (I asked) and I don't want to try and wrangle a replacement phone out of them or Apple yet, but I just might if this continues. I have several friends with the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS and none of them are having problems. It's like I'm the only one in Reno, NV with this issue. I hope that AT&T will provide an ETA soon, in the very least, and comes up with a satisfactory way to compensate users with this issue.

11 of 20 (44,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 10:15:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am in Fort Worth, TX and I have not been receiving text messages since Tuesday 6/21.  I have also tried everything, so guess where I am going after work!?  Yes, AT&T, if they cannot help me, I will demand either a credit or a new phone from Apple.  This is a tad bit ridiculous.  Let's see what they will do when I let them know I'll be switching to VERIZON!

I am in Fort Worth, TX and I have not been receiving text messages since Tuesday 6/21.  I have also tried everything, so guess where I am going after work!?  Yes, AT&T, if they cannot help me, I will demand either a credit or a new phone from Apple.  This is a tad bit ridiculous.  Let's see what they will do when I let them know I'll be switching to VERIZON!

12 of 20 (44,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 10:54:56 AM
(0)
Contributor
Well I just started receiving text messages again out of the blue. Didn't occur after a reset or reboot, so hopefully at&t has fixed the issue. Good luck to everyone, hope yours is fixed too....
Well I just started receiving text messages again out of the blue. Didn't occur after a reset or reboot, so hopefully at&t has fixed the issue. Good luck to everyone, hope yours is fixed too....

13 of 20 (44,315 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 11:01:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

i started to receive sms text's as well. appears to be working again.

good luck

i started to receive sms text's as well. appears to be working again.

good luck

14 of 20 (44,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 11:13:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

It's back and working again, but this is unacceptable. I agree wholeheartedly that some type of reimbursement is due; otherwise I'm going to cancel my contract and move over to Verizon with a new phone. I received no notification from AT&T about this issue and spent much of my time restoring my phone and taking other measures until finding out that it was their fault; then to just receive new messages without an apology. There is absolutely no excuse for this.

I do not pay what I pay monthly to get half-effort service.

It's back and working again, but this is unacceptable. I agree wholeheartedly that some type of reimbursement is due; otherwise I'm going to cancel my contract and move over to Verizon with a new phone. I received no notification from AT&T about this issue and spent much of my time restoring my phone and taking other measures until finding out that it was their fault; then to just receive new messages without an apology. There is absolutely no excuse for this.

I do not pay what I pay monthly to get half-effort service.

15 of 20 (44,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 11:46:13 AM
(0)
Professor

For those who seem to think their threatening to switch to Verizon is an end-all, try surfing on a few pages of Verizon's user site. See if their subscribers think Verizon has no problems, and if its as la-la land as many of you seem to think it is. 

I've had Verizon's cellular service. I can tell you the AT&T experience, including their customer service, is exceedingly better in many respects. I'd never go back to Verizon, and there are a whole lot of former customers of theirs who'll tell you the same.

If your answer to every perceived slight with a company is to change providers, you're going to be a very busy person.

For those who seem to think their threatening to switch to Verizon is an end-all, try surfing on a few pages of Verizon's user site. See if their subscribers think Verizon has no problems, and if its as la-la land as many of you seem to think it is. 

I've had Verizon's cellular service. I can tell you the AT&T experience, including their customer service, is exceedingly better in many respects. I'd never go back to Verizon, and there are a whole lot of former customers of theirs who'll tell you the same.

If your answer to every perceived slight with a company is to change providers, you're going to be a very busy person.

16 of 20 (44,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 6:36:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

This thread is two weeks old, but this describes exactly what is happening to me today.

My husband sent me at least 20 texts today - I got none of them.  The last text I received was 24 hours ago.

I sent myself a pic message from his phone just now as a test & it came through. (I don't get many MMS messages without a corresponding SMS.)

Was there any actual fix for anyone here?  Did all the old messages come through when it was finally fixed?

This thread is two weeks old, but this describes exactly what is happening to me today.

My husband sent me at least 20 texts today - I got none of them.  The last text I received was 24 hours ago.

I sent myself a pic message from his phone just now as a test & it came through. (I don't get many MMS messages without a corresponding SMS.)

Was there any actual fix for anyone here?  Did all the old messages come through when it was finally fixed?

17 of 20 (43,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 3:38:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just discovered that my iPhone 4 hasn't been sending or receiving messages since late June, which is a great big bummer because I thought there were no replies to some important text messages in the meantime. I also have a BlackBerry Torch that I use primarily, which has worked flawlessly on a separate account and that’s why I didn’t notice that the iPhone wasn’t working properly. Since making the discovery I have tried everything recommended to solve the problem, but without success.

Some of these posts refer to credit for lost service, but I am much more concerned about the missing messages that have resulted in a loss of $5,125 to me so far and counting plus attorney fees. AT&T, are you listening?

I just discovered that my iPhone 4 hasn't been sending or receiving messages since late June, which is a great big bummer because I thought there were no replies to some important text messages in the meantime. I also have a BlackBerry Torch that I use primarily, which has worked flawlessly on a separate account and that’s why I didn’t notice that the iPhone wasn’t working properly. Since making the discovery I have tried everything recommended to solve the problem, but without success.

Some of these posts refer to credit for lost service, but I am much more concerned about the missing messages that have resulted in a loss of $5,125 to me so far and counting plus attorney fees. AT&T, are you listening?

18 of 20 (43,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 7:23:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
You need to turn off your imessage (iphone to iphone) and use standard text to make it work. however, so does your friends. What a pain. This happened after the new software download.
You need to turn off your imessage (iphone to iphone) and use standard text to make it work. however, so does your friends. What a pain. This happened after the new software download.

19 of 20 (12,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 1:42:38 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

20 of 20 (11,937 Views)