Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

Contributor

Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

I have been unable to recieve text message for the past 36 hours.  I can however recieve calls, emails and MMS messages. I contacted AT&T and was advised this was a nationwide issue and they are working on it. However I have several friends with Iphone 4 phones and are not having this issue.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 20 (49,659 Views)
Professor

Re: Iphone 4 Not receiving text messages

You can try rebooting the phone or resetting network settings.
Message 2 of 20 (49,648 Views)
Contributor

Same here. Exactly. The iPhone 4 is fully functional except for SMS.

I have performed soft resets and multiple hard resets. I've also reset network settings. Regardless, the problem persists. 

Oddly, my wife has an iPhone 4 as well, though she is not having the same problem. Same location, same tower, same network, but she is receiving SMS and I am not.

Message 3 of 20 (49,614 Views)
Contributor

Same issue. One of my 2 iPhones has this issue, the other doesn't. AT&T support said they are working on it but no time of repair and they have told me there is nothing(reset, sim swap, restore settings, etc) that will correct the issue. It is a network problem, not a phone hardware or software issue. Very annoying though. I do most of my communication via text than any other way. I'd rather not be able to send calls than not be able to send texts...
Message 4 of 20 (49,599 Views)
Contributor

This appears to be an epidemic

Is it AT&T? Apple? At the moment is seems a nasty combo.

Message 5 of 20 (49,593 Views)
Contributor

Same exact issue here: 1 iPhone works, the other does not. No ETA for fix but AT&T is "aware". They just have no idea how to fix it. I wonder if people demanded new replacement phones if it would make them solve this a little quicker.
Message 6 of 20 (49,560 Views)
Contributor

Same exact issue. A coworker's iphone has no problem at all. I've had this problem since yesterday morning... I'm not too happy that it's still a problem today. I'm having to utilize WhatsApp.

Message 7 of 20 (49,545 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

from los angeles county, california;

been having the same problem as well, my sister which also has an iphone 4 in the next room does not have any issues, nor does my mom that has a blackberry with at&t as well.

i have tried doing a reset network settings, ive done a complete restore, restored backup to a last known good date, reset the chip and same problem. cant receive sms texts, sending seems to be off/on or delayed, can receive/send mms texts. calling works for outgoing and incoming, internet works fine, email, all apps. just no receiving of sms texts! :\

been using textfree app to get around this

Message 8 of 20 (49,509 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

It sounds like some kind of AT&T database problem with what IMEIs are authorized for SMS. It doesn't sound like a problem with the phone or software. If a reboot or resetting network settings doesn't work, they you'll probably have to wait until they fix the problem, which they admit they have. Restoring the phone or more exotic solutions that completely wipe the phone likely aren't going to do anything.
Message 9 of 20 (49,457 Views)
Contributor

From what I've been reading in multiple forums, this seems to be a purely AT&T network problem. Some people have gone to an apple store, got a new phone and new sim card, still having the problem. So sounds like AT&T simply isn't sending text messages to certain phone numbers. I would hope that anyone that works for AT&T and is reading this will be issuing a credit to those people affected by this..... And more importantly light a fire under some backsides of some people to get this fixed. All I hear from tech support is that we know of the issue, but don't know what it is or when it will get fixed. For what I pay a month for service, you think I could get a better answer..... :-/
Message 10 of 20 (49,454 Views)
Contributor

I have had this problem for over 24 hours now. I've tried everything everyone else has, plus having tech support "reset my phone on the network". Nothing works. Texting is my main form of communication with my teenager who is currently out of state at a drama camp. I'm just a little livid. AT&T cannot provide an ETA for a fix. They aren't issuing credits (I asked) and I don't want to try and wrangle a replacement phone out of them or Apple yet, but I just might if this continues. I have several friends with the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS and none of them are having problems. It's like I'm the only one in Reno, NV with this issue. I hope that AT&T will provide an ETA soon, in the very least, and comes up with a satisfactory way to compensate users with this issue.

Message 11 of 20 (44,579 Views)
Contributor

I am in Fort Worth, TX and I have not been receiving text messages since Tuesday 6/21.  I have also tried everything, so guess where I am going after work!?  Yes, AT&T, if they cannot help me, I will demand either a credit or a new phone from Apple.  This is a tad bit ridiculous.  Let's see what they will do when I let them know I'll be switching to VERIZON!

Message 12 of 20 (44,569 Views)
Contributor

Well I just started receiving text messages again out of the blue. Didn't occur after a reset or reboot, so hopefully at&t has fixed the issue. Good luck to everyone, hope yours is fixed too....
Message 13 of 20 (44,549 Views)
Contributor

i started to receive sms text's as well. appears to be working again.

good luck

Message 14 of 20 (44,546 Views)
Contributor

It's back and working again, but this is unacceptable. I agree wholeheartedly that some type of reimbursement is due; otherwise I'm going to cancel my contract and move over to Verizon with a new phone. I received no notification from AT&T about this issue and spent much of my time restoring my phone and taking other measures until finding out that it was their fault; then to just receive new messages without an apology. There is absolutely no excuse for this.

I do not pay what I pay monthly to get half-effort service.

Message 15 of 20 (44,531 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.