Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 7, 2013
9:30:41 PM
View profile
Internet / mobile web on messaging bill
What is internet mobile web on my bill under messaging usage? If it helps I have an iphone.
What is internet mobile web on my bill under messaging usage? If it helps I have an iphone.

Internet / mobile web on messaging bill

8 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:40:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hello,

Has anyone explained to you what "Internet/mobile web"  text usage type? I just spoke with an ATT rep, there front line personel deosnot have the knowledge set it appears and possible to additional resource of technical support 2nd/3rd Techs. No fault of the reps, as this is company training gap.

This  "Internet/mobile web"  text usage type does not occur on my prior iphone reports, but only since upgraded to iphone 5s. 

I'm awaiting a call back from the manager, regard my questions. the question is "Internet/mobile web", what and how is the generated?

(I will update as I get information)

Additional: It seems ATT system is having issue Identfying the text information, in general. So, there is an issue - but is not being reported as most probably have unlimited text.

Hello,

Has anyone explained to you what "Internet/mobile web"  text usage type? I just spoke with an ATT rep, there front line personel deosnot have the knowledge set it appears and possible to additional resource of technical support 2nd/3rd Techs. No fault of the reps, as this is company training gap.

This  "Internet/mobile web"  text usage type does not occur on my prior iphone reports, but only since upgraded to iphone 5s. 

I'm awaiting a call back from the manager, regard my questions. the question is "Internet/mobile web", what and how is the generated?

Additional: It seems ATT system is having issue Identfying the text information, in general. So, there is an issue - but is not being reported as most probably have unlimited text.

Re: Internet / mobile web on messaging bill

2 of 9 (28,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 10:30:27 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 8, 2013 at 10:31:33 AM

dad00q0 wrote:

Hello,

What apps do you have installed on the Iphone? Also Imessage utilzies data to send messages between apple devices, not sms

dad00q0 wrote:

Hello,

What apps do you have installed on the Iphone? Also Imessage utilzies data to send messages between apple devices, not sms

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (28,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 12:44:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you responding.

This is a rough list of installed app. Since you may be looking for messaging apps, I have listed at the top.

Only 2 new apps since iphone 5.

- WhatsApp.  

- Boxcar (installed on around Oct 1, Not full setup, as of today SIGNOUT)

- Google vioce (rarely use, as of today SIGNOUT)

Within the native messaging (of course Imessage). 

ATT has listing for defined text  as "Text/instant messaging", "Multimedia messaging", "Internet/mobile web"

- Nothing says Imessage to denote - that you are not being charged.

Todays 10/08/2013 messenger usage:

WhatsApp Entries at

- 11:33am with response 11:35am

- 11:36am & 11:46am with response 12:58 am

Native Message (not sure if device is iphone)

2:03 PM - I sent a message

----- Response  (no timestamp)

2:06 Pm - My response.

Yet, looking at the ATT Online realtime report

Date/Time Contact Usage Type Usage Charge ($)
Usage Details
10/08/2013 09:41AM
--
Internet/mobile web812.0 KBs0.00
10/08/2013 09:29AM
--
Internet/mobile web2060.0 KBs0.00
10/08/2013 02:29AM
--
Internet/mobile web3405.0 KBs0.00

Kids App: Wheels on the bus, My First word, MyFirstword, drum kit, balloonSchool, dog story animal & T, pbskids, princess frog, i can xylo, humpty dumpty, talking tom, mole mash, shapes

Non Kids AppSmiley Tongueandora, Youtube, Amazon, ebay, paypal, craigslist, walmart, Presence (new install for iphone 5), cw, tv guide, watch abc, linkedin, american airline, bible, word warp, ruzzle, super dragon, my att, speed test x, max tracker, kindle, ibook, dropbox, tunein pro, words with friends,google maps

Thank you responding.

This is a rough list of installed app. Since you may be looking for messaging apps, I have listed at the top.

- WhatsApp.  

ATT has listing for defined text  as "Text/instant messaging", "Multimedia messaging", "Internet/mobile web"

WhatsApp Entries at

Usage Details
--
--
--

Kids App: Wheels on the bus, My First word, MyFirstword, drum kit, balloonSchool, dog story animal & T, pbskids, princess frog, i can xylo, humpty dumpty, talking tom, mole mash, shapes

Non Kids AppSmiley Tongueandora, Youtube, Amazon, ebay, paypal, craigslist, walmart, Presence (new install for iphone 5), cw, tv guide, watch abc, linkedin, american airline, bible, word warp, ruzzle, super dragon, my att, speed test x, max tracker, kindle, ibook, dropbox, tunein pro, words with friends,google maps

4 of 9 (28,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 1:29:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you responding.

UPDATED 

- WhatsApp.  

- Google vioce (rarely use, as of today SIGNOUT)

WhatsApp Entries at

Date/Time Contact Usage Type Usage Charge ($) Usage Details

10/08/2013 02:05PM
PHONE #
Text/instant messaging--0.00
PHONE #
10/08/2013 02:03PM
PHONE #
10/08/2013 01:59PM
PHONE #
--
--
--

Thank you responding.

UPDATED 

- WhatsApp.  

- Google vioce (rarely use, as of today SIGNOUT)

WhatsApp Entries at

Date/Time Contact Usage Type Usage Charge ($) Usage Details

PHONE #
PHONE #
10/08/2013 02:03PM
PHONE #
10/08/2013 01:59PM
PHONE #
--
--
--

5 of 9 (28,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 2:20:35 PM
(0)
Expert

dad00q0 wrote:

Thank you responding.

- WhatsApp.  

WhatsApp Entries at

Usage Details
--
Internet/mobile web 812.0 KBs 0.00
--
Internet/mobile web 2060.0 KBs 0.00
--
Internet/mobile web 3405.0 KBs 0.00

you would not see anything labeled Imessage in the description, Imessage is a propiertary Apple app that talks to servers that apple runs for messaging, to any carrier it is just a normal data request. Read the description of presence and not sure about it. Another point do you have any email setup with push turned on?

I would suggest going to Itunes and downloading Data Uasge by Onavo Inc, it is a free data uasge tracking app, read the terms of service and install it, let it run for week or two and see what is actually using the data.

dad00q0 wrote:

Thank you responding.

- WhatsApp.  

WhatsApp Entries at

Usage Details
--
Internet/mobile web 812.0 KBs 0.00
--
Internet/mobile web 2060.0 KBs 0.00
--
Internet/mobile web 3405.0 KBs 0.00

you would not see anything labeled Imessage in the description, Imessage is a propiertary Apple app that talks to servers that apple runs for messaging, to any carrier it is just a normal data request. Read the description of presence and not sure about it. Another point do you have any email setup with push turned on?

I would suggest going to Itunes and downloading Data Uasge by Onavo Inc, it is a free data uasge tracking app, read the terms of service and install it, let it run for week or two and see what is actually using the data.

6 of 9 (28,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 2:46:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

thank you for responding,

I have unlimited data and 200 text. But i will install that app. I'm more trying to  understand the information on the itemized text report ..

I'm more leaning towards whether these line item are being deducted for my texting plan..

thank you for responding,

I have unlimited data and 200 text. But i will install that app. I'm more trying to  understand the information on the itemized text report ..

I'm more leaning towards whether these line item are being deducted for my texting plan..

7 of 9 (28,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 1:08:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

CONFUSION aka USER ERROR.

Internet/mobile web - is data nothing to do with texting.

The confusion came from navigation to Text report, on the USAGE tab, clicking on hyperlink beneath TEXT, opens new reporting that combines "Multimedia messaging" and "Text/instant messaging"/DATA, while prior months the reporting from TEXT ("Multimedia messaging" and "Text/instant messaging") was separate from DATA ("Internet/mobile web" synonymous "Internet/MeDia" or "Data Transfer"). So, having unlimited data - nothing to be concerned about.

Otherside of Great new navigation to reporting, but confused display of report based on selection from USAGE. But now that you know, you need to manipulate the report to see only texts.

CONFUSION aka USER ERROR.

Internet/mobile web - is data nothing to do with texting.

The confusion came from navigation to Text report, on the USAGE tab, clicking on hyperlink beneath TEXT, opens new reporting that combines "Multimedia messaging" and "Text/instant messaging"/DATA, while prior months the reporting from TEXT ("Multimedia messaging" and "Text/instant messaging") was separate from DATA ("Internet/mobile web" synonymous "Internet/MeDia" or "Data Transfer"). So, having unlimited data - nothing to be concerned about.

Otherside of Great new navigation to reporting, but confused display of report based on selection from USAGE. But now that you know, you need to manipulate the report to see only texts.

8 of 9 (28,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 9:32:57 AM
(0)
Contributor
I do have the same problem. The ViEW USAGE does not provide more information where these internet/mobile web came from. Since data is being used, AT&T should provide information where these data came from.
I do have the same problem. The ViEW USAGE does not provide more information where these internet/mobile web came from. Since data is being used, AT&T should provide information where these data came from.

9 of 9 (17,660 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments