International Text Fail with Orange/TMobile but OK with O2

Tutor

International Text Fail with Orange/TMobile but OK with O2

Hello,

I am reaching out to the community for suggestions.

I send and receive text messages to the UK successfully for contacts on O2.

However, I can only receive text messages from contacts on Orange (now merging with T- Mobile). My sent texts never make it to the recipient.

When I send text messages, my end appears fine - that is, no failure message.

AT&T support suggested using 011 and + prefix, but this makes no change to my texts being received.

iPhone 4S, not iMessages, failure rate is occuring for last month since changing from iPhone 3S to iPhone 4s. I have rebooted the phone.

Any suggestions, Insight, or are others experiencing the same?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10 (1,210 Views)
Expert

Re: International Text Fail with Orange/TMobile but OK with O2

Try sending a sms to this address PhoneNumber@orange.net "PhoneNumber@orange.net is inputted where the phone number would go for a normal sms to be sent" (replace "PhoneNumber" with the persons phone number that you are sending ot)

Message 2 of 10 (1,181 Views)
Tutor

Great suggestion, Thanks!

Here is what I tried and the results (still no workie):

Format: +44(phone number)@orange.net - Send successful, Mailer-Daemon reports permanent error fail (shortly after send)

Format: 44(phone number)@orange.net - Send successful, Mailer-Daemon reports permanent error fail (shortly after send)

Format: 011+44(phone number)@orange.net - Send successful, Mailer Daemon reports permanent error fail (shortly after send)

Format: 01144(phone number)@orange.net - Send successful, does not make it to the recipient.

Note, 44 is the UK country code.

I am stuck on why I can receive text, but not able to reply even though I have international texting.

Message 3 of 10 (1,162 Views)
Expert

try to send a email this time to the same address again, when sending email make sure it is listed as plain text (Not as HTML or Rich Text) and see if that goes through.
Message 4 of 10 (1,154 Views)
Tutor

OK, nice, you are on to something.

The text email to 01144(phone number)@orange.net failed with "rejected by the recipient domain." Error code was: 550 550 5.1.1

I forwarded the message to my UK contact and asked them to get input from Orange. This may take a day or so, but, it is nice to at least have an error to work from.

Much appreciated!

Thanks

Message 5 of 10 (1,127 Views)
Expert

you are very welcome, if you do get a response could you post back with the it for us.
Message 6 of 10 (1,119 Views)
Tutor

After some travel and sick time, texts now get through to Orange UK. Unfortunately, Orange UK was never contacted and the problem has resolved itself. Texts are now working with Orange.

I appreciate the exchange provided - Thank you!

Message 7 of 10 (915 Views)
Contributor

Hello Guys: I wanted you all to know that the text "Failed" issue we are experiencing with Samsung SIII has to be resolved by Samsung. In my case, I can send text messages to all countries except country code +234. I have contacted AT&T and the problem persists. Earlier, I contact Samsung and they suggested several fixes, which did not work. I have read several comments from T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint users who are having similar problems. I think this has to do with Samsung firmware upgrade because I had no problem sending text messages anywhere and anytime until early August 2013.

Message 8 of 10 (437 Views)
Contributor

FYI - just had another round of chat session with Samsung on the text "Failed" issue. They suggested that carriers should push Android 4.3 to their users. Is this something AT&T wants to consider at this time? I currently have Android 4.1.2.

Message 9 of 10 (422 Views)
Contributor

Hello all: Please if you are going thru a problem, don't give up until you find a solution. I kept on the effort to solve the problem of international text reporting "Failed" and today, the problem is solved. An AT&T Manager in New Jersey called me at 4:50PM Pacific time and suggested that I should replace "011" with "+" when I want to text an international number. Guess what guys! -- I did and it worked perfectly. Long-standing problem solved at last. Therefore, if you get "Failed" when you send an international text, just re-send starting with "+" sign and the number. Happy New Year to you all.

Message 10 of 10 (277 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.