Insult to my Intelligence / Slander

Insult to my Intelligence / Slander

Where do I begin? Well for starters, let me tell how disappointed I am in AT&T's Disconection/Retention Department's Associate, Michelle.  She basically thought I don't know math and that is why I am switching over to T-Mobile at the end of the billing cycle.

I called AT&T on 1/11/2014 and spoke to Michelle who works in the Dissonnect Department and I basically told her that T-Mobile was offering a better package at lower rate than what I am paying, whihc is $153 a month with unlimited talk and 2 GB of shared data on 2 lines.

When I spoke with T-Mobile, they basically beat AT&T right out of the water and quoted me $120 for 2 lines, no activation, keep the same numbers, and to top it off, unlimited talk and text. After after throwing taxes and fees he said it would about $130 but still a $240 annual savings.

So, when I informed her that I looking to go with T-Mobile due to the me being the only working member of the house and 2 children under 2 years of age, Michelle stated to me, "I understand it's tough since I am a single Mom with 2 kids so I know". She knows allright, knows how to talk her way to giving an AT&T of over 7 years a offer that comes nowhere near T-Mobile's and even gives me less; here's her offer:

500 minutes that does have day/night restrictions, 2GB of data per line, totaling 4GB, and a one time credit of $60, all for about $143 month.  Hmm, are you seeing something that I am that this is a much better deal thn T-Mobile's? If so, please enlighten me.

Now, when she offered me that so-called "deal", I asked her this, I now have unlimited talk and you are giving me 500 minutes, how many minutes did we use last month, Michelle replied, "980 minutes".  I then asked her why would I go with a plan that gives me only 500 minutes when I used close to double that in one month?  Michelle then replied, "I can give you 1800 roll-over minutes and you should be fine".  I then asked her what is the next minutes level and the price, She said, "700 w/ free mobile to mobile at $10 more per month".  I then explained to Michelle, The current offer you mentioned with 500 minutes at $143 and upgrading to the 700 minutes plan comes to $153,which is the same rate I now have and I would be getting less minutes for the same price. Michelle basically cold not answer that objection.

Michelle then went on to say, "well, T-Mobile caps thier customers data plan so eventhough they say you have unlimited data, you really are not going to get unlimited".  Hmmm, that sounds like an AT&T emplyee is slandering T-Mobile's "Unlimited Data".  After she said that statement, I basically knew I am not talking to the right person and in fact, It was not her place to slander another company for the sake of her save quota and decided to finish the call since she was offering me something even with the one time credit and the extra roll-over minutes, does not come close to T-Mobile's offer and also not meeting the reason why I called and that is save money but keep what I had.

I am going to reach out to T-Mobile's corporate office and speak to them about the data cap they have been accused of doing since I need to find out the truth here and how a AT&T employee is saying these statments without care.  Now if it's true, well then that is what the call is going to be about on Monday.    

Let me finish with this, I am disappointed in how this agent treated a valued customer and insulted my intelligence by giving me less and paying more when it's all said and done.  I am glad T-Mobile has the guts to do away with these so called subsidy charges that they need to recoup and with contracts, and I applaud them.  On the other hand, I dislike AT&T's sales tactic for training people to slander other comapanies and not knowing how to save a customer who knows math.

That is my story and if anyone would like to rebutal my comments please free to do so.

Thanks,

Pete 

Message 1 of 11 (1,008 Views)
Expert

Re: Insult to my Intelligence / Slander

[ Edited ]

you don;t have to reach out to the corporate offices - just look up the terms of service and acceptable use policy on their website, by the way - att did away with subsidy charges in you have your own device or pay full retail price for the device

Message 2 of 11 (986 Views)
Professor

The wording that the rep used is incorrect, because the Truly Unlimited data plan isn't "capped".  There are restrictions in the terms and conditions regarding network management, but there isn't a hard cap that is automatically enforced once a certain threshold is reached.  The terms and conditions use the wording "...if your total usage exceeds 5GB (amount is subject to change without notice; please check T-Mobile’s T&Cs on www.T-Mobile.com for updates) during a billing cycle, we may reduce your data speed for the remainder of that billing cycle.".  The emphasis on the word "may" is mine.

T-Mobile currently has more bandwidth than the customer base uses, so this restriction has not been enforced in the recent past.  T-Mobile's bandwidth availability should be sufficient for many more customers to come.  However, be aware that things could change as more customers are added to the network.

You can check many other blogs and forums such as tmonews, Howard Forums and the Mobile Nations forums to see reports of customers using astronomical amounts of data each month with no problems.

Message 3 of 11 (967 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, Unhappy732.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience dealing with one of our representatives, and I understand your frustration. If there is anything we can do, please let us know by sending us a private message by clicking here.

This is not the same customer care department you worked with over the phone. This team is dedicated to handling issues here on the forums, and they will work very hard to find an acceptable resolution to your problem.

If you send us a message, just make sure to include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You'll be able to check for a response by clicking on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

Meanwhile, if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a message.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 11 (859 Views)

Mariana,

After the long awaited phone call you said I would recieve since you work in a "special" department, Emilia called me and I happened to miss her call so, she decided to email me and I wanted to show everyone how AT&T is so pathetic in their comments:

"Hello Peter,

I understand that you requested to speak to someone on the forums about us not being able to match a Tmobile offer  that was made to you.
Unfortunately we are not matching offers that Tmobile has made but I will be happy to review your account with you and look at your options.
I did try calling you to verify the account and see if you have spoken to our retention department already but the phone just rang.

I will try calling you again."

Thanks
Emilia
Social Media Manager

M-F 7-3:30CST

Look! Don't bother me anynmore with your rookie employees calling me and saying the same thing over and over again, "sorry, we can't help you but thank you for being a loyal customer for over 7 years". 

Let me ask you Mariana, am I really loyal after what you just read? AT&T is just too expensive and they know it and TMobile has the best rates going in these tough times.

Message 5 of 11 (775 Views)
ACE - Professor

Unhappy732 wrote:

Mariana,

After the long awaited phone call you said I would recieve since you work in a "special" department, Emilia called me and I happened to miss her call so, she decided to email me and I wanted to show everyone how AT&T is so pathetic in their comments:

"Hello Peter,

I understand that you requested to speak to someone on the forums about us not being able to match a Tmobile offer  that was made to you.
Unfortunately we are not matching offers that Tmobile has made but I will be happy to review your account with you and look at your options.
I did try calling you to verify the account and see if you have spoken to our retention department already but the phone just rang.

I will try calling you again."

Thanks
Emilia
Social Media Manager

M-F 7-3:30CST

Look! Don't bother me anynmore with your rookie employees calling me and saying the same thing over and over again, "sorry, we can't help you but thank you for being a loyal customer for over 7 years". 

Let me ask you Mariana, am I really loyal after what you just read? AT&T is just too expensive and they know it and TMobile has the best rates going in these tough times.

That email was very polite, understanding of your situation, and to the point. 

If that's what you think is "pathetic", there's no one who can live up to your expectations.

AT&T isn't the right company for everyone. If there's a company out there that fits your needs better, than by all means switch. However, insulting people who work for AT&T isn't going to get you anywhere.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11 (773 Views)

Sometimes, people need to hear the truth and it's the truth, they are rookies. Seasoned pros don't play these games, they know when a customer is loyal and valued. So, t's actually insulting to me that they have people who give these false expectations like, they might be able to do something but when you speak to them, it's a skipping record!

Publicly, the agents say the things that corporate wants them to say but when it comes down to reality, it's all smoke and mirrors. Glad to see AT&T is feeling the heat in the kitchen now! with TMobile, maybe they will have to follow their lead, which I am sure AT&T is not liking one bit but hey, this gives the average consumer a choice to make now that makes sense, better rates and more service features with TMobile.
Message 7 of 11 (769 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, Unhappy732!

It sounds like Emilia wanted to review your account to explore your options for lowering your monthly bill. Have you had a chance to do that yet? If not, I strongly encourage you to do so as soon as you can.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 11 (762 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Right, so let me firstly apologize that you are considering leaving the AT&T family. I really would hate seeing you go, and that's coming from an actual customer.

The email you received, according to that info, it is absolutely right. AT&T isn't matching T-Mobile offers but they did offer to review your available options, which I would recommend highly!

What is your current plan? Is it a Mobile Share or Mobile Share Value plan?? The Value plan can save you $15 per line a month on phone line. This because if you have your devices, the monthly fee is reduced from $40 to $25 which is a very huge differnce and it leaves money in your pocket! Smiley Happy

The major difference between T-Mobile and AT&T is coverage. AT&T is the more reliable network, outside of big cities and rural areas. T-Mobile can I fact slow your data down to 2G speeds depending on what plan you select and if it causes other uses on the network to suffer degration of service.

I really hope you consider staying because at this point T-Mobile isn't offering much, except lower pricing. But sacrifcing reliable service isn't worth the switch.

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11 (731 Views)
Tutor

I am sorry to hear of your encounter.  When I wanted to cancel a line, the person in retention, Tabby, offered the 450 Nation Plan for $30.00, which was confirmed by several other employees yet when it came to closing the deal, AT&T rebutted and said they can't honor that rate to a loyal customer.  Goes to show where what AT&T values and it sure is not customer loyalty. 

AT&T's employees' words are not loyal and integrity is surely lacking.  I fail to see how reducing the cost to the quoted price would financially hit AT&T.  Upper management said they cannot offer that plan for a reduced rate.  Fact is, AT&T can allow any  changes to anyone's plan.  It is their choice.  AT&T insults customer's intelligence.

I am not with T-Mobile and information from several employees are consistent, pleasant, and cordial. 

Message 10 of 11 (550 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

I fail to see how not offering the same things as other companies is indicative of any lack of enthusiasm or appreciation.

Whatever somone offer you, they have to make available to other customers too. Even if it has requirements, tenure X+, there's going to be other people asking how they can get that plan/pricing.

AT&T can't expect you to keep whatever special to yourself. Plus each plan/pricing needs to be carefully coded into system to be applied, (it's device compatability, service compatability ect)

Personally I would think a rep who was nice and courtesy and reviewed the plans for the best options, provided good customer service
If I really need help temporarily, and a rep gave me a discount, $30 off the bill, $10 for the next three months, or something, I would consider that  provided great cust care.
Getting a consistant answer is usually a good sign that the answer you're getting is probably the right.
If the right answer is that the rep cannot code a custom plan for you at a special rate that no one else has, then it's simply not possible. The higher ups carefully reviewed what're good plan options/pricing options/competitive. It's fine to disagree, but that's not related to customer services.

I wouldn't consider a difference of opinion, or a firm assertion of an inability to do a difficult /impossible request as poor customer service.

It's rather niave to think that AT&T can simply change their plans on a dime, and especially for a single customer. That niaveity demonstrates an ignorance of logistics and computing systems.

Now if you'd like to advocate for AT&T as a whole to offer those kinds of services for people in general, I whole-heartedly endorse new or better plan plans options. Currently AT&T is offered a hybrid program between it's MobileShare value and AT&T Next is similar to tmobiles offerings/phone seperatly billed options

But I admit Tmobile does offer several nice features. Throttling of internet over charging, lower pricing over coverage, ect. Certainly some people may find that advantageous.

If you believe you have constructive ideas for how AT&T can improve their plans, (besides simply lowering the bill), I encourage you to write to the mailing address as provided by each of your bills.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 11 (526 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.