Incoming Caller ID Often Displays Unknown

Highlighted
Contributor

Incoming Caller ID Often Displays Unknown

I recently upgraded to a Note 3 (going from an ancient Atrix 2). On new phone and new LTE data plan, a good percentage of my incoming calls show as Unknown. It does not display the phone number that is calling me. Interestingly enough, these same numbers that dial other AT&T phones display their caller ID on those phones (they also displayed properly on my old AT&T Atrix 2). Other numbers do display properly on the phone so the behavior is intermittent although it is always the same, depending on the specific number that calls me.

I've spent considerable time on chat and phone support, opened an AT&T case, wasted my time factory resetting the device, put the SIM into a different device (the issue followed the SIM), replaced the SIM card at a corporate AT&T store, etc.

Today, when I called in to verify that the issue has not been corrected, I was advised that this is now a wide-spread issue that a 3rd-party contractor is working with AT&T to correct.

Can anyone confirm that? I can reproduce the issue as needed. I tend to think that this is a back-end systems issue.

Message 1 of 4 (1,073 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Incoming Caller ID Often Displays Unknown

Hello, avasel!

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Caller ID on your phone. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can track the issue.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. If you happen to know your case number, that would be helpful. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (1,028 Views)
Contributor

Thanks Mariana.

I have sent a message as directed.

Message 3 of 4 (1,010 Views)
Contributor

Has there been any resolution of this issue?  I am experiencing the same issue only on calls redirected from my office's MS Lync server.  We believe it's an RFC 3966 issue.  Coworkers on Verizon get the phone number displayed with a + in from of it, e.g. +1406444xxxx.  My incoming caller ID works for normal calls from other cell carriers or land lines.  It is only these calls being redirected from the MS Lync system containing the leading +.  I have also seen this issued reported in this forum regarding international calls with no posted resolution.  This is from the RFC:

5.1.4.  Global Numbers

Globally unique numbers are identified by the leading "+" character.

Global numbers MUST be composed with the country (CC) and national

(NSN) numbers as specified in E.123 [E.123] and E.164 [E.164].

Globally unique numbers are unambiguous everywhere in the world and

SHOULD be used.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 4 (717 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.