Ask a question

Posted Jul 26, 2013
9:05:32 AM
View profile
If I upgrade to a new contract, then cancel within 15 days, will I get charged the ETF?

Let me start off by saying that I get absolutely terrible phone reception from AT&T in both my home and work. I got sucked into the Microcell gimmick, after spending, I'm not exaggerating, at least 10 hours with customer support trying to figure out why my reception is so terrible. The root cause that AT&T hesitates to admit: they have too many users for their networks, and their technology is particularly bad at going through obstructions like buildings (note that buildings are not a problem in my home, where neighborhood rules require all homes to be single two story, and all are made of wood. I'm also inside a large city, surrounded by AT&T towers).

So here's my plan: I was thinking of upgrading today (I'm eligible), and buying a new phone at the discount rate with the 2 year commitment. Why would I do this given my signal struggles? On the off chance that 4G/LTE solves my problem (current phone is 3G, 4G/LTE is heavily advertised in the area and friends with 4G seem to have better reception), or if my phone is at least partly to blame (it seems to have trouble getting back on a network once it loses signal; requires a reboot).

What I wonder is whether I can buy this new phone with a 2 year commitment, and if I'm unhappy, return the phone, cancel the contract, and face no risk of cost if my signal performance does not improve. I believe I have 14-15 days to cancel before I am charged the ETF. What if I am not yet past the timeframe for my current 2 year commitment, will they make me retroactively pay the ETF on that contract?

If I upgrade to a new contract, then cancel within 15 days, will I get charged the ETF?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 9:53:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You have 14 days to cancel a new upgrade contract. If you cancel that contract, you go back to what was in force when you upgraded. If your old contract had not yet expired, then you will be back under that contract and you will have to pay an ETF IF you close your account.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: If I upgrade to a new contract, then cancel within 15 days, will I get charged the ETF?

2 of 8 (1,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 7:35:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK, follow-up question: will I be on the hook for the new phone if I cancel within the 14 day limit, or can I return it at no cost?

Re: If I upgrade to a new contract, then cancel within 15 days, will I get charged the ETF?

3 of 8 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:43:35 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:46:49 AM

Hello bigal1825,

You can return the phone within 14 days and get your money back, you'll have to pay a restocking fee of $35. Also keep in mind that whenever you upgrade there is a $36 upgrade fee that will only be credited if you return the phone within 3 days from purchase, otherwise it will be billed to you on the next month's statement.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (1,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 1:24:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, Dmitriy. That's not a small fee, more than 10% of the cost of the phone I am looking at. I'm not confident that a new phone is going to solve my problems, and paying a fee to find that out doesn't make economic sense. I'll likely just put up with frequently being unable to make/receive calls, and switch providers when my current contract ends.

5 of 8 (1,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 2:12:59 PM
(0)
Expert

bigal1825 wrote:

Thanks, Dmitriy. That's not a small fee, more than 10% of the cost of the phone I am looking at. I'm not confident that a new phone is going to solve my problems, and paying a fee to find that out doesn't make economic sense. I'll likely just put up with frequently being unable to make/receive calls, and switch providers when my current contract ends.

expect to pay the same type of fee at the other providers.

6 of 8 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 2:39:21 PM
(0)
Community Manager

You're welcome. I just want to make sure you know all the details. Have you tried a new SIM card by any chance? Replacing it can often improve reception too, you can get it for free from one of our corporate stores.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 6:38:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, I did try a new SIM card. No luck, unfortunately.

8 of 8 (1,122 Views)