Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2010
6:57:36 PM
IPhone video calling on Tango vs Skype

Hey all,

If you did not know, Tango is  free IPhone/Android application that allows for free video calling. Its a simple program but not allow for desktop calling to a mobile device.

Skype just released 3.0 which allows for video calling from an IPhone to a desktop via the Skype application. Ive used it and it works pretty well.

What have you used, and what are your thoughts?

-Brian

Hey all,

If you did not know, Tango is  free IPhone/Android application that allows for free video calling. Its a simple program but not allow for desktop calling to a mobile device.

Skype just released 3.0 which allows for video calling from an IPhone to a desktop via the Skype application. Ive used it and it works pretty well.

What have you used, and what are your thoughts?

-Brian

IPhone video calling on Tango vs Skype

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 7:37:28 AM
(0)
Professor

I've used Tango to video chat over 3G.  It worked well!  I know only one person with Skype and she hasn't wanted to video chat with me.  So, I haven't tried Skype yet.  I may try it in the near future, just to see how it does with the iPhone.

I've used Tango to video chat over 3G.  It worked well!  I know only one person with Skype and she hasn't wanted to video chat with me.  So, I haven't tried Skype yet.  I may try it in the near future, just to see how it does with the iPhone.

Re: IPhone video calling on Tango vs Skype

2 of 16 (17,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 11:21:48 AM
(0)
Master

So the Skype video chatting doesn't allow iPhone to iPhone video?

So the Skype video chatting doesn't allow iPhone to iPhone video?

3 of 16 (17,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 3:18:59 PM
(0)
Guru
It does, if the other party has skype on their iPhone.
It does, if the other party has skype on their iPhone.

4 of 16 (17,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 9:54:00 PM
(0)
Guru

I've used both Tango and Skype and i have to say they are almost exactly the same. Both parties need to have Tango or Skype on their device but with Skype you can video chat from an iphone to a computer and vice versa. (I dont think Tango has anything for pc; *Not sure*)

I have video chatted with a friend on his Evo phone using Tango and i had no issues.

I have also video chatted with skype with someone on the computer and with a friend on their iphone 4 with no issues.

I think the choice should be on what works better in your area and who uses what more. 

I've used both Tango and Skype and i have to say they are almost exactly the same. Both parties need to have Tango or Skype on their device but with Skype you can video chat from an iphone to a computer and vice versa. (I dont think Tango has anything for pc; *Not sure*)

I have video chatted with a friend on his Evo phone using Tango and i had no issues.

I have also video chatted with skype with someone on the computer and with a friend on their iphone 4 with no issues.

I think the choice should be on what works better in your area and who uses what more. 

5 of 16 (17,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 10:18:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

iFrosty wrote:

I think this sums it up the best.  I know a friend who lives near Detroit, where AT&T packet shapes his home DSL service to the point where he can't use Skye there.  He can still use Gizmo5, and other VOIP services, but not Skype.  I've been using Skype great for years myself, so I still use it, although I still use it mainly from my coputer, not from my iPhone.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

iFrosty wrote:

I think this sums it up the best.  I know a friend who lives near Detroit, where AT&T packet shapes his home DSL service to the point where he can't use Skye there.  He can still use Gizmo5, and other VOIP services, but not Skype.  I've been using Skype great for years myself, so I still use it, although I still use it mainly from my coputer, not from my iPhone.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 16 (17,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:04:44 AM
(0)
Guru

Another thing to point out would be is skype on any other OS? Like android or WebOS?

If the availability exists on other platforms it then becomes a question of who uses what more. Like i said before Tango is on Android so my friends that have android can still video chat with me even though im on an i4.

GeekBoy wrote:

iFrosty wrote:

Yup. Thats why its always best to see how well these services work in your area!

And just like you i use skype mainly on my Mac/PC as well.

Edit: I looked up tango and i couldnt find a pc/mac version so skype has that advantage ; more platforms

Also Skype is available on Symbian, Android and other platforms. (but that doesnt necessarily mean video chatting)

Another thing to point out would be is skype on any other OS? Like android or WebOS?

If the availability exists on other platforms it then becomes a question of who uses what more. Like i said before Tango is on Android so my friends that have android can still video chat with me even though im on an i4.

GeekBoy wrote:

iFrosty wrote:

Yup. Thats why its always best to see how well these services work in your area!

And just like you i use skype mainly on my Mac/PC as well.

Edit: I looked up tango and i couldnt find a pc/mac version so skype has that advantage ; more platforms

Also Skype is available on Symbian, Android and other platforms. (but that doesnt necessarily mean video chatting)

7 of 16 (17,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 12:19:33 PM
(0)
Guru
Indeed Tango does not have pc/Mac calling but with tango you don't have to be logged into it to get calls. Tango uses the push feature on iPhone to alert you of call. On skype you have to be logged in. More people use skype though ....
Indeed Tango does not have pc/Mac calling but with tango you don't have to be logged into it to get calls. Tango uses the push feature on iPhone to alert you of call. On skype you have to be logged in. More people use skype though ....

8 of 16 (17,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 7:33:50 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:38:18 AM

I haven't tried either one yet, but you should note to limit how much you utilize the video calling. As per a test was done on Jailbreak 4.0 / 4.1 series, they ran their own 3G FaceTime video calling and found out that their video chat off of 3G runs at 3MB a minute. If nothing else has used data, you have 60 minutes of 3G video conference calling on a 200MB plan or 660 minutes of 3G video conference calling on the 2GB plan.

The more you have used your megabytes on other stuff, the less time you have on 3G video conference calling. Reducing the amount of time available from 60 / 660 to 30 / 330 if you spent half your plan on a few things.

* edit: I'd say 666 minutes but it's not 2000MB entirely so the format is off.

I haven't tried either one yet, but you should note to limit how much you utilize the video calling. As per a test was done on Jailbreak 4.0 / 4.1 series, they ran their own 3G FaceTime video calling and found out that their video chat off of 3G runs at 3MB a minute. If nothing else has used data, you have 60 minutes of 3G video conference calling on a 200MB plan or 660 minutes of 3G video conference calling on the 2GB plan.

The more you have used your megabytes on other stuff, the less time you have on 3G video conference calling. Reducing the amount of time available from 60 / 660 to 30 / 330 if you spent half your plan on a few things.

* edit: I'd say 666 minutes but it's not 2000MB entirely so the format is off.

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (17,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 12:17:32 AM
(0)
Guru

So I was at a Starbucks (YUMMY) and was in my car (bored) and decided to do a Tango call and a Skype call (at different times ofcourse) and the skype call to a desktop computer was WAY faster and much clearer than the Tango call.

Has anyone else expierenced this?  (Skype video only works on IPhone NOT android phones by the way)

So I was at a Starbucks (YUMMY) and was in my car (bored) and decided to do a Tango call and a Skype call (at different times ofcourse) and the skype call to a desktop computer was WAY faster and much clearer than the Tango call.

Has anyone else expierenced this?  (Skype video only works on IPhone NOT android phones by the way)

10 of 16 (16,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 6:40:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

We set up the wife's skype account on her iPhone, testing over wifi to a Mac skype client. Worked at least as well as Facetime, with the added feature of being able to work over 3G.

We set up the wife's skype account on her iPhone, testing over wifi to a Mac skype client. Worked at least as well as Facetime, with the added feature of being able to work over 3G.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 16 (15,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 8:05:55 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Jan 5, 2011 at 8:14:26 AM

Dellman87 wrote: (Skype video only works on IPhone NOT android phones by the way)

Strictly nitpicking on my part, but it should be noted that Skype video is not supported on iPhone (1st-gen) and iPhone 3G...speaking of which, I'm guessing that Skype video is not supported on those two models probably because they don't have enough memory and/or processing power to handle the video...but I still kinda find it a wee bit ironic that Skype video works on an iPad (receive video functionality only) even though the iPad has no camera, and also works on an iPhone 3GS which--like the iPhone 3G--has but a single, forward-facing only camera (3GS can send Skype video as well, granted that you'll have to turn the camera around if you want the person on the other end of the line to see your face).

It'd be nice if there was a way to get Skype video to work on an iPhone 3G (if even just to receive video only like the iPad) like how it's possible by default on a 3GS; I don't think it's entirely impossible to get it to work--after all, an iPhone 3G can handle streaming video from YouTube, Netflix, and Slingplayer apps over 3G...so theoretically there is no reason why it can't at least receive Skype video as well.

Dellman87 wrote: (Skype video only works on IPhone NOT android phones by the way)

Strictly nitpicking on my part, but it should be noted that Skype video is not supported on iPhone (1st-gen) and iPhone 3G...speaking of which, I'm guessing that Skype video is not supported on those two models probably because they don't have enough memory and/or processing power to handle the video...but I still kinda find it a wee bit ironic that Skype video works on an iPad (receive video functionality only) even though the iPad has no camera, and also works on an iPhone 3GS which--like the iPhone 3G--has but a single, forward-facing only camera (3GS can send Skype video as well, granted that you'll have to turn the camera around if you want the person on the other end of the line to see your face).

It'd be nice if there was a way to get Skype video to work on an iPhone 3G (if even just to receive video only like the iPad) like how it's possible by default on a 3GS; I don't think it's entirely impossible to get it to work--after all, an iPhone 3G can handle streaming video from YouTube, Netflix, and Slingplayer apps over 3G...so theoretically there is no reason why it can't at least receive Skype video as well.

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (15,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 10:19:03 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:21:36 AM

tonester wrote:

I understand exactly were you are coming from...

It's all about fragmentation, which if you look at it from an iOS standpoint, it isn't soo bad. However as you can imagine that android has a way more severe fragmentation which in most cases half the devices cant do anything with video chatting.

It's the way a developer and company (Apple) control the population of all of their cellphones. (Which you can argue is greed too)

I just read up on Tango and it doesn't work for the iphone 3g as well

Edit: I just thought of something. Most of these apps wont work on the 3g because the 3g doesn't support multitasking. Ahh the fragmentation Smiley Sad

tonester wrote:

I understand exactly were you are coming from...

It's all about fragmentation, which if you look at it from an iOS standpoint, it isn't soo bad. However as you can imagine that android has a way more severe fragmentation which in most cases half the devices cant do anything with video chatting.

It's the way a developer and company (Apple) control the population of all of their cellphones. (Which you can argue is greed too)

I just read up on Tango and it doesn't work for the iphone 3g as well

Edit: I just thought of something. Most of these apps wont work on the 3g because the 3g doesn't support multitasking. Ahh the fragmentation Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (15,774 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:44:47 AM
(0)
Guru

I tried the Skype video calling from my IPhone 3gs to my IPad while I was waiting for my car at Toyota. The video quality on the IPad ( Recieving ofcourse bc of no camera) was REALLY blury. Although you may use it, its seriously hard to see anything when you do not move the camera, dear god help you if you are moving it. Everything is one massive blurrrrrrr. haha

And thank you for pointing out that the Skype app doesn't work on all IPhones/Ipods. I forgot to mention that.

I tried the Skype video calling from my IPhone 3gs to my IPad while I was waiting for my car at Toyota. The video quality on the IPad ( Recieving ofcourse bc of no camera) was REALLY blury. Although you may use it, its seriously hard to see anything when you do not move the camera, dear god help you if you are moving it. Everything is one massive blurrrrrrr. haha

And thank you for pointing out that the Skype app doesn't work on all IPhones/Ipods. I forgot to mention that.

14 of 16 (15,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 1:57:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

You can use Tango for desktop to mobile calling and vice versa. I've been using it for years! 

You can use Tango for desktop to mobile calling and vice versa. I've been using it for years! 

15 of 16 (2,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 9:40:25 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

16 of 16 (2,760 Views)