IPhone 5 from Ebay

Contributor

IPhone 5 from Ebay

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

 

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.

920 Views
Message 1 of 7
Expert

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay


emw8 wrote:

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

 

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.


Do you mean a 3g or 3gs? If it is either of them you should be eligible for a upgrade unless someone else used it.

 

The activation is the same - plug sim and activate, there will be a 36.00 activation charge. Be careful who you buy it from though, make sure it is a reputable dealer

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay

Thanks.

And it's a 3G. I had a 5 but it was stolen so I went back to my old 3 hoping it would last me until my next upgrade (September 2014) but it's not going to. Not sure I really have any options besides buying a phone outright at this point...

Message 3 of 7
Professor

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay

If you are going from a 3G to a 5, you will almost certainly need a new SIM card as the 3 used a normal sized SIM and the 5 series use a nano-SIM. Not sure if you can cut down a normal SIM to nano size, but it might be risky. All this assumes you aren't using a nano-SIM in your 3G with an adapter. If so, then you can just swap SIMs directly.
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay


wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

 

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.


Do you mean a 3g or 3gs? If it is either of them you should be eligible for a upgrade unless someone else used it.

 

The activation is the same - plug sim and activate, there will be a 36.00 activation charge. Be careful who you buy it from though, make sure it is a reputable dealer


No, the $36 activation fee would not apply in this case as the user is bringing his own device and on an existing plan. The $36 activation/upgrade fee only applies when starting new service or upgrading with a subsidized phone. You will need a new sim card since the iphone 5 uses a nano-sim and the sim in your 3 or 3gs won't fit but if you go to a corporate store, they will most likely provide the sim for free.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
Expert

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay


sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

 

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.


Do you mean a 3g or 3gs? If it is either of them you should be eligible for a upgrade unless someone else used it.

 

The activation is the same - plug sim and activate, there will be a 36.00 activation charge. Be careful who you buy it from though, make sure it is a reputable dealer


No, the $36 activation fee would not apply in this case as the user is bringing his own device and on an existing plan. The $36 activation/upgrade fee only applies when starting new service or upgrading with a subsidized phone. You will need a new sim card since the iphone 5 uses a nano-sim and the sim in your 3 or 3gs won't fit but if you go to a corporate store, they will most likely provide the sim for free.


interesting, then I need to call in and get the previous activation charge removed when I gave my daughter my old 3GS

Message 6 of 7
Scholar

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay

If you started a new line the you will be charged the $36 fee. If she already had a line and simply changed phones she shouldn't have been charged.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support