Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2013
7:36:14 AM
View profile
IPhone 5 from Ebay

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.

I currently have an iphone 3 that is nearing the end of its life and am thinking of getting a 5 but will not be eligible for an upgrade for another year (I know... woof!). If I buy an AT&T iphone on Ebay, what is the activation process? I have a talk/text/data plan that I'm happy with now so I don't want to change that. Do I need to get a new sim card? Is there an activation fee?

IPhone 5 from Ebay

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 7:50:34 AM
(0)
Expert

emw8 wrote:

Do you mean a 3g or 3gs? If it is either of them you should be eligible for a upgrade unless someone else used it.

The activation is the same - plug sim and activate, there will be a 36.00 activation charge. Be careful who you buy it from though, make sure it is a reputable dealer

emw8 wrote:

Do you mean a 3g or 3gs? If it is either of them you should be eligible for a upgrade unless someone else used it.

The activation is the same - plug sim and activate, there will be a 36.00 activation charge. Be careful who you buy it from though, make sure it is a reputable dealer

Re: IPhone 5 from Ebay

2 of 7 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:09:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks.

And it's a 3G. I had a 5 but it was stolen so I went back to my old 3 hoping it would last me until my next upgrade (September 2014) but it's not going to. Not sure I really have any options besides buying a phone outright at this point...

Thanks.

And it's a 3G. I had a 5 but it was stolen so I went back to my old 3 hoping it would last me until my next upgrade (September 2014) but it's not going to. Not sure I really have any options besides buying a phone outright at this point...

3 of 7 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:45:03 AM
(0)
Professor
If you are going from a 3G to a 5, you will almost certainly need a new SIM card as the 3 used a normal sized SIM and the 5 series use a nano-SIM. Not sure if you can cut down a normal SIM to nano size, but it might be risky. All this assumes you aren't using a nano-SIM in your 3G with an adapter. If so, then you can just swap SIMs directly.
If you are going from a 3G to a 5, you will almost certainly need a new SIM card as the 3 used a normal sized SIM and the 5 series use a nano-SIM. Not sure if you can cut down a normal SIM to nano size, but it might be risky. All this assumes you aren't using a nano-SIM in your 3G with an adapter. If so, then you can just swap SIMs directly.

4 of 7 (849 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 2:31:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

No, the $36 activation fee would not apply in this case as the user is bringing his own device and on an existing plan. The $36 activation/upgrade fee only applies when starting new service or upgrading with a subsidized phone. You will need a new sim card since the iphone 5 uses a nano-sim and the sim in your 3 or 3gs won't fit but if you go to a corporate store, they will most likely provide the sim for free.

wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

No, the $36 activation fee would not apply in this case as the user is bringing his own device and on an existing plan. The $36 activation/upgrade fee only applies when starting new service or upgrading with a subsidized phone. You will need a new sim card since the iphone 5 uses a nano-sim and the sim in your 3 or 3gs won't fit but if you go to a corporate store, they will most likely provide the sim for free.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 2:51:11 PM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

interesting, then I need to call in and get the previous activation charge removed when I gave my daughter my old 3GS

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

emw8 wrote:

interesting, then I need to call in and get the previous activation charge removed when I gave my daughter my old 3GS

6 of 7 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 3:38:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
If you started a new line the you will be charged the $36 fee. If she already had a line and simply changed phones she shouldn't have been charged.
If you started a new line the you will be charged the $36 fee. If she already had a line and simply changed phones she shouldn't have been charged.

7 of 7 (735 Views)