INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

Mentor

INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

A similar issue is described in detail on this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/11836349#11836349 Just recently purchased the iPhone 5s and am using the Microcell. I have the OPPOSITE problem as described in the above thread in that it's the RECEIVING end of the call that is getting garbled distortion (hearing every other word) despite all bars (or dots) being solid on my end, whereas my audio is perfect. AT&T is sending a new MCell, but I have my doubts that will fix the issue. I even upgraded my ISP to over twice the bandwidth to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with my bluetooth noise canceling, but I powered it off during the problem call and the distortion continued on their end. The only way it stops it to end the call and redial. It is strange that it's only the receiving end that is getting the garbled. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to possible causes!!! I use this for business and this is unacceptable.
Message 1 of 85 (3,888 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

[ Edited ]

Could you add someone else to your Approved List who has a different AT&T phone just to check that it's not phone related? There is another poster who is having issues with the new iPhone 5s as well. I have a 5 with absolutely no issues at all and I think we use the same iOS, but new phones sometimes need tweaking on the AT&T side (account configs) to clear up any issues.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 85 (2,941 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Add to approved list? You mean add another AT&T phone on my MCell at my location, correct? And I just sold my 4! Since I know no one with a spare AT&T phone, that leaves me to purchase a phone and use it in place of my 5s and then return it. Problem with that is the return deadline is usually only 2 weeks which may not be enough time to determine if this issue repeats, they charge a restocking fee, and I would have to port my number to the new phone for everyone to call me. Major hassle. Any other suggestions?

Message 17 of 85 (2,931 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Definitely need to rule out (or in) a iPhone 5s issue by using another AT&T phone (not a 5s) on your Mcell as Otto described.

If it turns out that you have the same problem with another phone, I'd suspect an internet quality issue, specifically an upload problem of some sort.  You may want to have your ISP send a tech out to test your line to see if there are any quality issues.

If you can't use another phone then I'd go ahead with a line test.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 85 (2,930 Views)
ACE - Master

Yeah I agree with Avedis53. Do you have a friend who has an AT&T mobile account? You could add them as an Approved User to test. You don't necessarily have to purchase another phone. We have 10 family and friends on our Approved User list.

Message 19 of 85 (2,927 Views)
Mentor

I do have a friend with an AT&T account, yes. I still don't understand how that would work with my MCell account. Would I be testing the phone at my location? Whose phone would I test? Pls advise.

Message 20 of 85 (2,921 Views)
ACE - Master

The primary phone number belongs to the owner of the mobile account who the MicroCell is registered to. You are then allowed to add at least 10 other mobile phone numbers to your MicroCell for family and friends. As long as they have active AT&T mobile accounts, they are allowed to use your MicroCell connection when they are within range of the unit. For example, our mobile account is in my name, so my cell phone number is listed as the primary number. I then added my wife and kid's cell phone numbers as Approved Users so they can use the MicroCell for their cellular calls in our home. I then added some friends who also have AT&T mobile accounts so they can use the MicroCell for their cellular calls when in our home. You can have up to 4 people at once using your MicroCell at the same time. The idea is to see if someone else, with hopefully a different phone, has any call quality issues on calls when connected to your MicroCell while at your house.

Message 21 of 85 (2,912 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Not a feasable option for me. The only friends I know with AT&T service live 25 miles away and are never at my location long enough to test the calls. If the distortion was a constant, different story, but it's not.

I did, however, find a retailer that will sell me an AT&T phone with a 2-week return policy with no re-stocking fee and no contract. This sounds like my best and only bet to test this line out.

Message 22 of 85 (2,895 Views)
ACE - Master

That's unfortunate. Do let us know what happens.

Message 23 of 85 (2,892 Views)
Mentor

Jumping ahead - so what if I do get the same issue with a different AT&T phone?
Message 24 of 85 (2,865 Views)
ACE - Professor

I see no mention in this thread that you have had a tech from your ISP come out to your house to test your connection.  That is what I would do.

Message 25 of 85 (2,864 Views)
ACE - Master

Avedis53's suggestion to have your line thoroughly tested is a good one. While it's probably the more difficult of the troubleshooting methods, ruling out your ISP is a must. Most call quality issues are ISP related so ruling them out entirley is necessary.

Message 26 of 85 (2,858 Views)
Mentor

I just received a Mcell replacement today and switched it out. I will wait to see what results I get with this new one and report back before calling my ISP back again. When I did call them initially, they reported no issues with my service. If my speeds and VoIP levels are coming back optimal, what else could possibly be wrong with the ISP?
Message 27 of 85 (2,844 Views)
ACE - Professor

Plenty....first of all, you have no solid information regarding the quality of your internet connection.  Some level 1 phone support dude looks at his computer and since he doesn't see half of your area down, he thinks there are no issues.  You look at a few snapshots of a website testing your connection and see no problems.  The best way to check your connection is for a tech to put a tester on your line and watch it for a period of time to see what is going on. 

I've been through that before.  They told me they didn't see any problems yet I'm seeing 5% packet loss.   They finally send someone out and lo and behold, there are issues.  There are connectors full of water out on the pole outside my house.  There is a problem with an amplifier two blocks up the street.  They fix those issues and my problems were eliminated.

There may be nothing wrong.  There may simply be too much network congestion in your area to allow your Mcell to work all the time, but if you can't figure out what's wrong, you need to eliminate what is right.  Until a tech tests your connection, you can't rule it out as being your problem.

I hope switching out your Mcell solves your problem but I have a feeling it has something to do with the quality of your internet connection.   We'll wait to hear from you about your latest efforts. 

Message 28 of 85 (2,835 Views)
Mentor

I agree; I don't think it's the unit, but they sent one for free, so why not rule it out.

I had really bad trouble with MCell a few years back when there was 3g only. It was so bad (garbled on both ends, dropped calls, etc.), I had to switch to Verizon. But even with Verizon, I would get infrequent service drop from my ISP. This would all point to line issues going way back, but how do we know it's not something else causing the distortion like wifi?
Message 29 of 85 (2,828 Views)
ACE - Master

WiFi theoretically can cause interference, but I've personally never seen it proven either way. For years, my WiFi router was only about 2' away from my MicroCell and I never had any issues. I suppose if you set the MicroCell on top of your router you may have issues.....

If you had similar issue with Verizon and service drops from your ISP, I would suspect you ISP and their stability of connection. Avedis53 is correct, you need to to get your ISP out and have them throroughly monitor and check  your line to rule them out. If you have the same problems with a replacement MicroCell, odds are that it's not the MicroCell.

BTW, the MicroCell has always been, and will always be, a 3G device only.  Even if your phone indicates 4G M-Cell, your phone only connects at 3G speeds.

Message 30 of 85 (2,815 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support