INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

Mentor

INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

A similar issue is described in detail on this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/11836349#11836349 Just recently purchased the iPhone 5s and am using the Microcell. I have the OPPOSITE problem as described in the above thread in that it's the RECEIVING end of the call that is getting garbled distortion (hearing every other word) despite all bars (or dots) being solid on my end, whereas my audio is perfect. AT&T is sending a new MCell, but I have my doubts that will fix the issue. I even upgraded my ISP to over twice the bandwidth to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with my bluetooth noise canceling, but I powered it off during the problem call and the distortion continued on their end. The only way it stops it to end the call and redial. It is strange that it's only the receiving end that is getting the garbled. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to possible causes!!! I use this for business and this is unacceptable.
Message 1 of 85
ACE - Master

Re: INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

We'll start with the basics. How do you have your ISP setup? What kind of service do you have? Do you live in a house, condo, apartment?

Most of the time, poor call quality is an ISP issue, bad wiring, etc.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 85
Mentor

I live in a 1-story house. I just switched from DSL to cable for faster download & upload speeds, thinking that would help and it didn't. My download speeds are 50+Mbps and my upload speed are 20+Mbps, more than enough for my needs. My MCell is connected to a NetGear wireless router and is inches from the window sill. Both the MCell and router are plugged into a power strip. The call quality on my end is consistently perfect, no complaints. Again, the intermittent distortion is on the receiving end, so unless I am told I can't be heard, I would never know there is an issue.

Message 3 of 85
ACE - Master

That could be your ISP. I know, it's sounds all too easy to blame the ISP and not the MicroCell, but a lot of times its how the ISP handles the VoIP packets across its network to AT&T's servers. Anything above 3Mbps down and 512Kbps up is sufficient as long as the speeds are consisent and free from packet loss, jitter, etc. You might want to see if you ISP can do some line tests for a period of time and see if there is any loss along the way. If you've got solid green Power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G lights, then the MicroCell itself is working fine, especially if call quality on the receiving end (yours) is perfect as you say.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 85
Mentor

Oops, guess I had it backwards; it's the transmitting (other) end that is intermittently problematic. I will try and get a VoIP reading the next time this occurs. Another thought: I always use my bluetooth headset for my calls. Could it possibly be a microphone issue?

Also, wondering if it could be interference with someone's else WIFI.

Message 5 of 85
ACE - Master

Bluetooth could definitely be your problem. Try making/receiving calls for a while without the use of bluetooth and see what happens. I got a little confused here. Is it the other end that is having issues with call clarity or is it your end, and does it make a difference who initiates the call?

Message 6 of 85
Mentor

It is the other end that is having problems hearing me and only later in the call, not when it begins. Seems that the calls with issues are ones I initiate. Not 100% sure of that yet though.

Message 7 of 85
ACE - Master

It could be your bluetooth causing latency issues.

Message 8 of 85
Mentor

What is meant by "latency" issues?
Message 9 of 85
ACE - Professor

Latency is the time (in milliseconds) it takes a voice packet to get from your location to its destination over the internet.  If the latency gets too high, then voice packets can get dropped by the digital signal processor (DSP) on the receiving end of your call because they are "timing out" and the DSP will compensate by adding its own packet to fill in the gap (predictive insertion).  This can cause your voice to sound "robotic".  If the latency is more severe, then the gap is too big for the DSP to fill and the voice drops out or the call could be dropped.

Definitely need to rule out bluetooth by making calls using the cellphone instead of the headset but I kinda doubt that bluetooth is your problem.

Post back with results.

Message 10 of 85
ACE - Master

Avedis53 - you really don't think that inseting a bluetooth connection could cause problems? Not a challenge, just curious. We are on the same team Smiley Happy

Oh, nice latency description. Worthy of the Guide (yes, I'm still working on the updates).

Message 11 of 85
ACE - Professor

I didn't say it couldn't be the problem, I kinda doubt it.

That being said, I would ask the OP if the bluetooth headset is version 1.2 or 2.1.  The data rate of version 1.2 is about 721 Kbps nominal.  Version 2.1 is 3.0 Mbps nominal.  In real life, these nominal data rates aren't realized and can run 1/3 slower or more depending on a variety of things.

I'm not a BT expert but my understanding is that there are some mandatory protocols for all BT stacks.  Among them is a protocol for retransmission of packets.  I would think for a BT headset that this would be bypassed to streaming mode especially for telephony but who knows?

Given the number of observations of audio delay using BT I've read about on gaming forums I troll on, it could be an issue, especially if it is an older BT headset.

It could simply be a crappy BT headset and that's why I agree that the OP should avoid using it for now and see if the problem persists.  If it doesn't, then I'd be looking to buy a better BT headset.

My car has BT and I can play music from my iPhone and make hands-free calls while driving and haven't noticed any issues with latency.

Message 12 of 85
Mentor

I doubt it's the bluetooth either because I recall shutting it off once when my voice was garbled on the other end and there was no improvement using the phone only.

Message 13 of 85
Mentor

Just experienced another episode. Line quality was perfect, no jitter. Tried powering off the headset and use the speaker, but accidentally ended the call. This was a call I initiated. Other end tells me that my voice is breaking up like I'm in the mountains. Getting closer hopefully.

Message 14 of 85
Mentor

Happened again. Two times in a row after initiating call with same person. This time, was able to switch over to speaker and phone. NO CHANGE. Perfect line quality and all lights solid green on the MCell. Conclusion: It's not the bluetooth. Now what?  This is really frustrating.

Message 15 of 85
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support